MY NEW SPORT 20 BUILD ...LEGAL OR NOT THAT IS THE QUESTION

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Terry, After thinking about this for awhile. I think that it is legal. based on the new style of Staudacher hulls. It looks alot like one of them. But hell I don't know. B)
hell i do as well mark.. i think im going to attatch the sponsons and trim up a few things here and there and add the fillers to make it "blend" into the sides of the "center section" and im going racing..see ya all at the pond. :D ill be sending pics in as well with proof of the current running hulls that this is modeled after and all of which are 3 pt hydros.. with this thing "looking fast" .. musta scared some of the others here huh phil..lol , ill call this weekend phil, thanks

tk

Guys,

This is my WOF Sp40 that I designed and built, after getting approval from John Equi, Ron Zaker Jr. (IMPBA Hydro Tech. Director at the time) and Mike Schindler (current IMPBA Hydro Tech. Director). I sent drawings to Ron, who forwarded them to John. They discussed it and ultimately approved the design and I began construction. Everybody knows that I'm a slow builder. Somewhere along the line, the Director's hat was passed to Mike, so I sent drawings to Mike, who also approved them. Now, I will be the first to admit, and it's plainly obvious where the inspiration for the design came from, but this hull is 100% IMPBA legal in all aspects.

Terry,

Take a good look at these pics and compare your design and mine. There are alot of similarities. There are also some differences. These differences are what make your design illegal, at least in IMPBA.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

1507.JPG

1508.JPG

1509.JPG

1510.JPG

1511.JPG

1512.JPG

1513.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys,
This is my WOF Sp40 that I designed and built, after getting approval from John Equi, Ron Zaker Jr. (IMPBA Hydro Tech. Director at the time) and Mike Schindler (current IMPBA Hydro Tech. Director). I sent drawings to Ron, who forwarded them to John. They discussed it and ultimately approved the design and I began construction. Everybody knows that I'm a slow builder. Somewhere along the line, the Director's hat was passed to Mike, so I sent drawings to Mike, who also approved them. Now, I will be the first to admit, and it's plainly obvious where the inspiration for the design came from, but this hull is 100% IMPBA legal in all aspects.

Terry,

Take a good look at these pics and compare your design and mine. There are alot of similarities. There are also some differences. These differences are what make your design illegal, at least in IMPBA.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

You push the rules as for as you could on this boat. Good job on the design. I agree also the boat is legal and a nice build.

Mark,

I really don't think it's all that borderline, at least dimensionally. All dimensions are well within IMPBA specs. The transom, which there are no limits (min or max), is a over 7" across on the bottom. From the front back, once the "nose" blends with the bottom, it is dead flat all the way to the transom. The construction method is totally "outrigger", but I don't think there are any rules about construction techniques, are there?

John,

Let's see how it runs, first........... ;)

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Mark,
I really don't think it's all that borderline, at least dimensionally. All dimensions are well within IMPBA specs. The transom, which there are no limits (min or max), is a over 7" across on the bottom. From the front back, once the "nose" blends with the bottom, it is dead flat all the way to the transom. The construction method is totally "outrigger", but I don't think there are any rules about construction techniques, are there?

John,

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros
so since mine and yours are simalar you feel that if i blend the sponsons into the sides and try to blend the top of the sponsons more to the deck , as far as i can tell your are stepped up like mine?? it should be legal? heck i might just send the whole **** boat to mikey to let him measure it up and get his approval ..? mine is flat from the nose to the back and yes it is built in "rigger construction " but it is not a rigger, it is not long and skinny it is short and fat and to me looks killer, but it is most certianly not a rigger. il have more pics tomorrow of the updated design.

terry

Mark,

John,

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros
so since mine and yours are simalar you feel that if i blend the sponsons into the sides and try to blend the top of the sponsons more to the deck , as far as i can tell your are stepped up like mine?? it should be legal? heck i might just send the whole **** boat to mikey to let him measure it up and get his approval ..? mine is flat from the nose to the back and yes it is built in "rigger construction " but it is not a rigger, it is not long and skinny it is short and fat and to me looks killer, but it is most certianly not a rigger. il have more pics tomorrow of the updated design.

terry
My guess is when you get it done you should call it.......... TROUBLE MAKER

Terry, After thinking about this for awhile. I think that it is legal. based on the new style of Staudacher hulls. It looks alot like one of them. But hell I don't know. B)
hell i do as well mark.. i think im going to attatch the sponsons and trim up a few things here and there and add the fillers to make it "blend" into the sides of the "center section" and im going racing..see ya all at the pond. :D ill be sending pics in as well with proof of the current running hulls that this is modeled after and all of which are 3 pt hydros.. with this thing "looking fast" .. musta scared some of the others here huh phil..lol , ill call this weekend phil, thanks

tk
Cool Looking boat Terry!... I was @ a Race just a couple of years ago & the 20 Riggers were combined with the sport 20`s just to make the class. Now they ask the 20 riggers drivers to add panels to blend there Sponsons into the tub. Many were adding tape or cutting up fuel jugs... Now this did not slow the 20 riggers down. But when they went back out with the Added lift of the panels. It really restricted their ability to run fast & stay on the water. All were upside down the 1st lap.... & the Sport 20`s ruled the water on that day.

Mark,

John,

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros
Brad,

I am not knocking your boat. But I will explain myself. One of the main rules on a three point hydro in our rule book is the sponsons must be connected to a continuous hull. You have drawn enough to know what a continuous line is. Your sponsons do connect to a continuous hull at the front part of the air tunnels. This is shown where the sponson inside plate is connected to the air tunnel. Now how this pushes the rule is by the radius cut from the rear of the sponson to allow the chine to start on the rear part of the hull to a narrow transom. This was your construction method and it looks good and I have no problem with it. If you had gave it more radius or ran 90 degrees in a straight line of the hull before starting the radius then the boat would be in question and could be called a modfied rigger.

There are many ways of constructing a boat. Your intent to give the boat the look you wanted from the top is how I can see why the chine took that shape on the bottom and side. No doubt a construction method. Shoud be a good running boat.

Mark,

John,

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros
Brad,

I am not knocking your boat. But I will explain myself. One of the main rules on a three point hydro in our rule book is the sponsons must be connected to a continuous hull. You have drawn enough to know what a continuous line is. Your sponsons do connect to a continuous hull at the front part of the air tunnels. This is shown where the sponson inside plate is connected to the air tunnel. Now how this pushes the rule is by the radius cut from the rear of the sponson to allow the chine to start on the rear part of the hull to a narrow transom. This was your construction method and it looks good and I have no problem with it. If you had gave it more radius or ran 90 degrees in a straight line of the hull before starting the radius then the boat would be in question and could be called a modfied rigger.

There are many ways of constructing a boat. Your intent to give the boat the look you wanted from the top is how I can see why the chine took that shape on the bottom and side. No doubt a construction method. Shoud be a good running boat.
ok all i made some changes and the thing that needs to be remembered here is this is a prototype boat and will probably need more than is here?? i added fillers on the sponsons that will be a "continuious" piece of ply on the others but i am not willing to scrap the prototype to satisfy a few .. also shaved the nose down to a more stylish look, final fitted the cowl, and still need to instal my air traps , also mounted the sponsons so they are flush with the top of the center section.. hopefully this satsfies a few and as usual i am open to suggestions

terry

http://www.intlwaters.com/uploads/12384818..._378_469610.jpg

http://www.intlwaters.com/uploads/12384818..._378_339699.jpg

http://www.intlwaters.com/uploads/12384818...9_378_92554.jpg

http://www.intlwaters.com/uploads/12384818...9_378_85767.jpg

http://www.intlwaters.com/uploads/12384818..._378_180314.jpg

Mark,

John,

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros
Brad,

ok all i made some changes and the thing that needs to be remembered here is this is a prototype boat and will probably need more than is here?? i added fillers on the sponsons that will be a "continuious" piece of ply on the others but i am not willing to scrap the prototype to satisfy a few .. also shaved the nose down to a more stylish look, final fitted the cowl, and still need to instal my air traps , also mounted the sponsons so they are flush with the top of the center section.. hopefully this satsfies a few and as usual i am open to suggestions

terry

http://www.intlwaters.com/uploads/12384818..._378_469610.jpg

http://www.intlwaters.com/uploads/12384818..._378_339699.jpg

http://www.intlwaters.com/uploads/12384818...9_378_92554.jpg

http://www.intlwaters.com/uploads/12384818...9_378_85767.jpg

http://www.intlwaters.com/uploads/12384818..._378_180314.jpg
Terry , I think that boat looks GREAT! But what would possibly get rid of the rigger thing is if.....looking at the bottom of the boat, you could run the sides of the tub out to meet the back of the sponsons...if you did that, i really dont see how anyone could call it a modified rigger...Then the full width of the tub meets the sponsons......its still a cool lookin boat either way!

send the boat to mikey.. his opinon is the only one that counts :D

the rule is dumb.. just like phil said.

chris

Back