MY NEW SPORT 20 BUILD ...LEGAL OR NOT THAT IS THE QUESTION

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK I painted on some mods how does that look to yall.
Terrys sport20 hydro modded

If you take some off the top of the sponsons to make them flush with the top deck and add the curve to the side maybe that would be good.
Much better but check that front recess and be sure it's less than 25% of hull length...............

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the look of the old hydros.. but. this does look bad to the bone
Grim
I do too! But thats kinda what ive been talkin about....get the dimensions to meet the rules and its STILL a 3 point hydroplane! Even though it looks a little riggerish....there were alot of 3 point hydros that were squared off and boxy lookin but they were perfectly legitimate 3- point hydros! I love classic hydros, but its neat to see someone come up with a slightly different boat as long as it meets the rules...I think with a few minor changes, Terminator could have a perfectly legal sport boat...That looks a little different! Adhering to the rules is important though.

Looks like excessive steps in the transom to me. The areas between the sponsons and the tub are basically cut-outs of the transom. The rules don't allow this.

The surface from the inside of the sponson should transition gradually from the rear of the sponson to the transom, eliminating any steps along the way. It can be tapered, bowed or even straight back ...just not stepped as it is here.

Don't get me wrong. I like the design. Scott Liddycoat just built a new 1 Litre Mod that is very similar to this. Can't wait to see it hit the water this year.

Dennis

Looks like excessive steps in the transom to me. The areas between the sponsons and the tub are basically cut-outs of the transom. The rules don't allow this.
The surface from the inside of the sponson should transition gradually from the rear of the sponson to the transom, eliminating any steps along the way. It can be tapered, bowed or even straight back ...just not stepped as it is here.

Don't get me wrong. I like the design. Scott Liddycoat just built a new 1 Litre Mod that is very similar to this. Can't wait to see it hit the water this year.

Dennis
Im just watching and listening! A guy sent me this not legal either but what a cool ride

Dennis
Im just watching and listening! A guy sent me this not legal either but what a cool ride

That is a cool looking Stautager(SP?) hydro. But they are also pushing the limmites on design. Them sponsons look to be darn close to the 60% of total hull length rule. If they get much longer they will just as well call it a tunnel.

i just love the staudacher hulls,i see those run at the local races,very fast,and many have set new records, i saw one flip over and it tore off a sponson,you wont believe how that hull is put together, its all plywood,looks like an over sized model build up,by the way there is another sport 21 hull around that is a modified rigger hull, its built buy rht marine,they race that in namba classes,which are different than impa,so depending on what organization you run in, it could be legal

norm

fmbc

strictly a bias question here as i don't care either way.

but if the idea for these boats was to resemble real boats..

where did the AIR TRAPS come in?? or did real boats ever use them?

just curious..

chris

strictly a bias question here as i don't care either way.
but if the idea for these boats was to resemble real boats..

where did the AIR TRAPS come in?? or did real boats ever use them?

just curious..

chris
Chris yes the full size boats use airtraps. They are used to keep the air under the hull and lift the rear end. You build them tall than you think is needed and trim them to what kind of lift you really need. When you get to testing and tuning the rigg. The out round nose conventionals had short ones that stopped about 2 feet behind the sponson backs. Then can the cabovers in the late 70'S early 80's and they extended them all the way to the transom to help lift the hull more.

Dennis
ok mikey im going to redo the botom of the sponsons anyway so i will make them a little shorter and try to blend them into the hull better, then make the radius on the back of the sponson to blend .. and on the production models if i do anymore that will becom one piece so it will have no breaks.. i like what phil did to my hull i think it looks a littel meaner that way so that is what im going for.. have a new bandsaw and belt sander ..will cut and sand wood..lol , thank you for the input all and keep it coming , as soon as i find my way back to the shop ill get it done and be ready to unveil v2.0 of the "outlaw" .. thanks

tk

What is the problem with this Crazy Cajun?

It may have rear ride shoes which would not go for our rules.

That 60% sponson rule would be measured to the rear of the front sponson pads not the end of the deck drop down I would think.

That 60% sponson rule would be measured to the rear of the front sponson pads not the end of the deck drop down I would think.
Love the boat but he wanted to run it in scale..

i have submitted pics of this hull design on here and am wondering what you all think.. i have seen the pay and pak which bill my friend from florida said was legal and a 3 pt hydro that has rigger styling.. i dont feel this is a modified rigger as it has non adjustable sponsons, it has a full lenght cowling, and meets the sport 20 demensions that are rquired to be legal, i know the sponsons need to blend into the "center section" i try not to call it a tub as it is not and to keep it away from the "modified rigger" labeling. help me out here phil ..lets make this thing legal as in my opinion the only boat on the market right now that even comes close to looking lke a real hydroplane is phils stuff.. most boats like blazers and marks all have a nose that looks like a rigger, hydros have rounded noses not square block noses.. what do you all think?
terminator

http://www.intlwaters.com/uploads/12376126..._378_436257.jpg

http://www.intlwaters.com/uploads/12376126...9_378_27232.jpg

http://www.intlwaters.com/uploads/12376126..._378_288460.jpg

http://www.intlwaters.com/uploads/12376126..._378_153502.jpg
YOUR BOAT IS ABSOLUTELY ILLEGAL. YOUR BOAT IS A RIGGER!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have submitted pics of this hull design on here and am wondering what you all think.. i have seen the pay and pak which bill my friend from florida said was legal and a 3 pt hydro that has rigger styling.. i dont feel this is a modified rigger as it has non adjustable sponsons, it has a full lenght cowling, and meets the sport 20 demensions that are rquired to be legal, i know the sponsons need to blend into the "center section" i try not to call it a tub as it is not and to keep it away from the "modified rigger" labeling. help me out here phil ..lets make this thing legal as in my opinion the only boat on the market right now that even comes close to looking lke a real hydroplane is phils stuff.. most boats like blazers and marks all have a nose that looks like a rigger, hydros have rounded noses not square block noses.. what do you all think?
terminator

OK THERE SIR !!!!! THANK YOU !!! we will see after i make changes to it if it is, i think it is up to others to decide? never done this before so i guess we will see how it goes?

tk

Love the boat but he wanted to run it in scale..
I was refering to ok for sport hydro?

terminator

OK THERE SIR !!!!! THANK YOU !!! we will see after i make changes to it if it is, i think it is up to others to decide? never done this before so i guess we will see how it goes?

tk
DOC T had to put in his 2cents. Doc, Terry is making some mods to the hull. keep us posted on the progress

The OP is interested in Sport Hydro - not Scale. I designed a few sport hydros in the past, and it is important to know which organization's rules will apply - they are different. For IMPBA rules the boat does not need to be a copy of a "real" boat, it just has to "resemble" one. It must be a 3-pointer, so no rear shoes...no transom cutouts or extensions, air traps no wider than 1/8".To me the original design looks too much like a rigger, but the OP is wise in checking for legality prior to finalizing the design. But don't rely on what posters on Intlwaters say - apply to the pertinent organization's hydro chairman.

Terry, After thinking about this for awhile. I think that it is legal. based on the new style of Staudacher hulls. It looks alot like one of them. But hell I don't know. B)

Back