My 1st Build (SLR Missile Thunderboat ZippKit)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is going to be one "killer" boat!!!
Thank you Sir Wheeler
With lots of Post Forum reading from you'all who have been here long before me, I couldnt have made it this far.
Rich J has built some wicked looking ladies as well as the One he is creating now,
and the multitude of others who post works of ART. The Scale builds and the Sport Hydro's as well as the Riggers are all Kick ^#$$ing Azz. I am getting WAY NERVOUS to firing this Gerl for the 1st time.
My pleasure Mr. J
I am happy to say I Got the Bottom all sealed up and ready for the white and Yellow coats.
Hull_Fin_02.jpeg Hull_Fin_03.jpeg hull_Fin_01.jpeg

Thank you Sir Wheeler
With lots of Post Forum reading from you'all who have been here long before me, I couldnt have made it this far.
Rich J has built some wicked looking ladies as well as the One he is creating now,
and the multitude of others who post works of ART. The Scale builds and the Sport Hydro's as well as the Riggers are all Kick ^#$$ing Azz. I am getting WAY NERVOUS to firing this Gerl for the 1st time.

My pleasure Mr. J
I am happy to say I Got the Bottom all sealed up and ready for the white and Yellow coats.
View attachment 303091 View attachment 303092 View attachment 303093

I love it when that wood grain comes alive. Looks good and sealed. Give that a scuff with some 400 and wipe down with some wax and grease remover before painting.

Thank you Sir Wheeler

My pleasure Mr. J
View attachment 303091 View attachment 303092 View attachment 303093

Invoit when that wood grain comes alive. Give that a scuff with some 400 and wipe down with some wax and grease remover before painting.
After building the Backlash have you had a chance to run it? That is one good looking build as well.
Yep. I built that one last year and ran it all last summer. It took some time to get it dialed in as all boats do but that boat is pretty much on automatic at this point. Getting the turn fin positioned right and a strut adjustment made all the difference. I spent weeks trying to work out the issues and one afternoon at the lake with Brian Blazer and it was a different boat. It’s seeing speeds in the low to mid 70s with a modified 26. Here’s my last Peak MPH GPS Reading from early Nov last year.
E63657A4-1BE7-4A41-A91B-32157B2FCC72.jpeg

Peak MPH GPS Reading
That is Hauling A$$.... That is one fast lady

As for my 1st, I am sure it wont be finished by the 23rd But I am looking forward to the Spring Nationals here in Georgia if only for seeing all the other Gas builders and whos who.
One part one step closer. Its going to be a blast.

That is Hauling A$$.... That is one fast lady

As for my 1st, I am sure it wont be finished by the 23rd But I am looking forward to the Spring Nationals here in Georgia if only for seeing all the other Gas builders and whos who.
One part one step closer. Its going to be a blast.
[/QUOTE]
Even if it’s not ready, go watch and learn. Watch the pits, watch the milling and the boats lining up for the clock, etc… You’ll learn a lot and when or if you do race it won’t seem so new. Most importantly have fun…

Thank ya RJ, I feel like a woke up from a 20Year nap and found the Bar of middle age, much better then feeling OLD..
I am all set and have a few Gig video cards to fill up with notes.
I may volunteer as pit help (If needed to launch boats.)

Been a Minute,
I did a total number to my lower back, pretending to be 35 in stead of 55. This will pass, I can get back to building by Friday Hopefully.
I have made lil progress but I can say I am very pleased with the final stripping and re-epoxying of the Deck surface.
It took 5 times to reach this point of final scuff and 2K 368-0061 Clear UV coat. then I can tape and shoot the bottom.
Waiting to show the cowling until I finish my driver.
Take care All
FinalCoat_01.jpg
Decking_LastCoat_03.jpeg Looks stained up front but it is only a shadow
Decking_LastCoat_02a.jpg
Its is coming along

Been a Minute,
I did a total number to my lower back, pretending to be 35 in stead of 55. This will pass, I can get back to building by Friday Hopefully.
I have made lil progress but I can say I am very pleased with the final stripping and re-epoxying of the Deck surface.
It took 5 times to reach this point of final scuff and 2K 368-0061 Clear UV coat. then I can tape and shoot the bottom.
Waiting to show the cowling until I finish my driver.
Take care All
View attachment 303893
View attachment 303894 Looks stained up front but it is only a shadow
View attachment 303896
Its is coming along
That looks great Chuck! I hope your back gets better. I’ve been healing from some physical woes myself. First the knee and then started have lower back problems from all the exercises and stretching. So getting through it. Hope to run the Backlash Sunday. Got the paint today for the T Boat. Still have some epoxy work to do on the hull. I’ve elected to paint myself. The local paint store was able to match the trim colors and hook me up in Spraymax cans.

Looks like I am gunna have to start a new thread in the Gas Boat Forum as I have added a ARTR Deep V to my small mix of Girls. It was a fair deal that will give me a chance to hit the water sooner and with more chances to go fast. lol
All in All I couldn't imagine my day without spending time withOut the smell of epoxy.
Will post a few Pics in my other thread

257? Something else? Are you using the pull starter? My first gas motor was in the Backlash. It was modified and dynoed. Since it had been on the dyno already, I didn’t really worry too much about break in. For the stock zen I’d probably get the boat on plane, and then alternate between slow laps and fast laps.
maybe a couple slow, one fast, another slow, etc… Do that for a couple bags/tanks of fuel and that should be all you need. On the 257 carb you’ll be maybe 2 1/8 on the low needle and 1 1/8 on the high. I don’t have experience with other carbs. Put your thumb over the carb opening and slowly pull though the stroke a couple times until you have gas on your thumb. Then give it a rip. Make sure you have radio in hand in case you need to open it up some
Thank you Rich,
Yes 257 Carbs and I thought about the pulley starter set up but I am going to have to stay with the (NOT) EZ pull for a bit. I am looking forward to going through the rebuild process from the broken engine in the Mono. I have seals bearings, crank, rod w/bearings, piston, and head with cooling sleeve and the gasket set and its OEM Zenoah 290.

I would go with the pulley start or at least and easy start. These engines start good until they don’t and at that point depending on your age, you either pull your arm out of the socket or have a heart attack.

Bill, I would recommend adding a pulley to the drive cable end, leave the pull start on it. Some clubs may require the pull start be on the engine in order to race so........

Back