My 1st Build (SLR Missile Thunderboat ZippKit)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK guys so I filled the fuel bag half way with 50-1 mix and purged the air out of the bag, I placed my finger over the Carb and pulled on the starter rope till my finger was slightly wet. Then opened the high idle to the start position and tried to start….I THINK?
NEXT
: I Gave a few good pulls and it would only pop off and sound like it wants to run . . . . .I even hear it pop WELL with 6-10 run revolutions )BRRRRRAAAPPPPPP !! ! !. . . . .

Then burm brup burp blaaaaa blaa bla… NUTHING. . . .

I would then re-prime with my finger and reset the high idle I THINK? and BRRRRRAAAPPPP really sounds like she wants to run but then Nothing . . . . .

The L is set at 1 and 1/8 the H is set at 2 and ¼ The fuel is brand new. The lines are right and the engine is new. THE Drive flex cable is well greased and with no binding, Good spark, stock plug,

The reason I question the idle up position is I have the servos set Reversed so the rudder is left/right and throttle cable rotates clock wise. BUT when I program the start IDLE postilion it may be in reverse? IDK.

What AM I MISSING? For now going to read up on the FlySky G4 unit (My RADIO) and see IF it has a setting for the start/run idle position. Grrrrrrr. I want it to run.
FEW MORE PICS
View attachment 309968View attachment 309969View attachment 309970View attachment 309972View attachment 309973View attachment 309974View attachment 309975 FYI I have the cooling lines routed and tested for leaking and all is well.
I realy like the cable ran throttle it is Far more clean and easy to set-up
So your needle settings are reversed. Low should be 2 to 2 1/4 and High 1 to 1 1/8. Regarding idle, loosen your connector for the cable to the carb and turn the radio on. Manually pull the throttle open until the arm points just to the outside of the outside (high) needle and tighten the connector so that your neutral servo position holds the throttle open at approx an idle setting. Make sure you can close the throttle by pushing the trigger forward. Make any necessary trim adjustments. When you have primed the carb with your finger, you may need to hold the throttle wide open to start it and once it does let the trigger go and see if it idles. If it doesn’t open the throttle with the trim until it does idle. I’m assuming you are not using the kill switch. If you are you may not need to set the radio up to close the throttle.

Last edited:
With your recommendations:
It fired right up.
Thanks guys.
I reset the Radio and receiver back to factory settings and the assigned the Start/Idle at 26%
with full throttle at 126% and reduced the speed to 50%
Now when I turn on the Radio and receiver Its in the Shut-Off throttle (Closed Butterfly) touch the assigned button and the throttle opens 26% and is fully open at 130%.. . . . . .
Same 50% speed on the rudder and reduced full sweep left/right at 60% this way I don't over correct.

Going to the Pond Wednesday with just a few 1st to teach me how to toss the boat and learn.
This Sat-Sun with a few more from the club to help me with the rest.
I will get Video (Hopefully)

With your recommendations:
It fired right up.
Thanks guys.
I reset the Radio and receiver back to factory settings and the assigned the Start/Idle at 26%
with full throttle at 126% and reduced the speed to 50%
Now when I turn on the Radio and receiver Its in the Shut-Off throttle (Closed Butterfly) touch the assigned button and the throttle opens 26% and is fully open at 130%.. . . . . .
Same 50% speed on the rudder and reduced full sweep left/right at 60% this way I don't over correct.

Going to the Pond Wednesday with just a few 1st to teach me how to toss the boat and learn.
This Sat-Sun with a few more from the club to help me with the rest.
I will get Video (Hopefully)
Good to have some peeps with you. The T boats are a handful to launch by yourself with the radio in hand. Glad you got the motor running! Those needle settings have been mixed up by many including me. Best of luck on the maiden voyage. And yes do what you can to get video. You must not deprive your followers of this after all these months!😂

This one might sound strange but what I would recommend is to attach a line onto the boat and practice launching it ENGINE OFF a few times BEFORE trying to launch it with the engine running. Since you're dealing with a larger than average boat, it may take a few times to figure out a good way to launch it. I know the first several times I launched a scale boat, it ended up on the right side more often than not. I was just lucky I didn't end up with the boats upside down before I figured out what I was doing wrong:eek:

OK HERE SHE GOES>>
I set the strut, the turn fin and rudder to the recommended starting position. Made sure to grease the drive and flex shaft, and check all her nuts N bolts. Away she went.

The radio controller is a bit of a bear to set up but I managed to get the trim for fast idle and servo speed close. The club is so cool helping me out. Honestly I was so worried about damaging the boat I could barely stop shaking as it was tossed in the pond.

After the 1st run we brought her in and went over everything before running two more times. I learned about the turtles 1st hand (OUCH!!) and the need for the sheer bolt on the rudder. Just watch the 2nd video.

I was VERY lucky even though it sounded expensive, it only broke the front mount off the cowling and has a 4 inch scratch from the spark plug hole down to the header. You can hear Mary at the end of the video, Thankfully you cant hear me..
1st run video:
OMG Video:

Next is to put the better prop on then adjust the pipe and high low needle get her up on the 3 points
I looked when I got home and the throttle was only opening about 70% But it was still a Blast. I love Mary's Video she was a hoot. Guys gave me two props and a ton of things to do to help me out. Not bad for my 1st ever on the water.

Welcome to the world of running boats. My first run had a similar result as your second, but for a different reason. In my case, I got momentarily distracted(mostly due to working on an aircraft carrier flight deck) by someone launching another boat and ended up going under(and over) tree branches. The result was a shattered right vertical tail, a bent rudder shaft, a damaged left sponson bottom and a badly bruised ego. Now, to critique what I saw on the videos:
  1. The guys launching the boat need to give it more of a throw launch than a drop. That is why the boat seemed to struggle to get up and running. Had that been a nitro motor instead of a gas engine, the motor would have died on the launch. Watch how the guys launch these gas scale boats, which are similar in size and weight to your boat:
  2. Once the boat got going, it looked fairly good but in need of a bit more dialing in. The issue was more with the driver being DQed due to multiple penalties if it had been an actual heat. Don't try to hug the buoy line, at least not for a while. The only times my boat has been upside down was when I tried to hold the line too closely and hit a buoy(so far it's been twice). I would recommend trying to hold the boat a boat-length from the buoy line and work on that for now. Once you can do that, then start moving in a bit at a time. Like building the boat, driving it takes time and lots of practice to learn and, when you add buoys to the mix, it takes a bit longer

OK guys so I filled the fuel bag half way with 50-1 mix and purged the air out of the bag, I placed my finger over the Carb and pulled on the starter rope till my finger was slightly wet. Then opened the high idle to the start position and tried to start….I THINK?
NEXT
: I Gave a few good pulls and it would only pop off and sound like it wants to run . . . . .I even hear it pop WELL with 6-10 run revolutions )BRRRRRAAAPPPPPP !! ! !. . . . .

Then burm brup burp blaaaaa blaa bla… NUTHING. . . .

I would then re-prime with my finger and reset the high idle I THINK? and BRRRRRAAAPPPP really sounds like she wants to run but then Nothing . . . . .

The L is set at 1 and 1/8 the H is set at 2 and ¼ The fuel is brand new. The lines are right and the engine is new. THE Drive flex cable is well greased and with no binding, Good spark, stock plug,

The reason I question the idle up position is I have the servos set Reversed so the rudder is left/right and throttle cable rotates clock wise. BUT when I program the start IDLE postilion it may be in reverse? IDK.

What AM I MISSING? For now going to read up on the FlySky G4 unit (My RADIO) and see IF it has a setting for the start/run idle position. Grrrrrrr. I want it to run.
FEW MORE PICS
View attachment 309968View attachment 309969View attachment 309970View attachment 309972View attachment 309973View attachment 309974View attachment 309975 FYI I have the cooling lines routed and tested for leaking and all is well.
I realy like the cable ran throttle it is Far more clean and easy to set-up
Looks good. I am building this boat. On page 34 of the instruction book, it says to"Assemble the turn fin to the bracket so that it is on the inside of the bracket. If you mount the fin on the outside of the bracket, it would cause the water to lift the right sponson in the turns as water hits the bracket". Your boat appears to have the fin on the outside of the bracket??

Back