My 1st Build (SLR Missile Thunderboat ZippKit)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would not build up the epoxy trying to use it as a final finish. Just enough to fill the weave then a clear coat. Epoxy needs a protective top coat. Uv will turn it yellow. Not sure you would ever get it to polish out either.

Don't go too thick or you will end up with a boat that's very heavy.
For sure Hydro J.
I wanted to see how much I could load up on the scrap pieces of Teak Just to get a good feel for the epoxy.
I Totally agree with Light weight being one of the ultimate goals. On the subject of weight,
Let me ask about:
The center of gravity and transom measured weight percentages. Is it true 4-8 oz. on the rear transom and a 50/50 split to the sponson transoms is a good baseline? or ?

clear coat. Epoxy needs a protective top coat. Uv will turn it yellow.
Once I get the glass covered and filled I think I will take her to my buddy who owns a lil Body shop.. A high quality clear coat may be in the cards. Thank you Mr. Mark I didn't think about the yellowing.

I need to Finnish the 2nd interior sanding and thinned epoxy coating, the radio box and check for areas that may need reinforcement.
Will post after I get the build room cleaned up.
Stayin the course
C

Just sharing, I think Rich Jones said it on my post somewhere......
Enjoy the build..... For me this is key and I am for certainly enjoying each completed task.
As well as his idea of a Body/paint shop struck a cord with me as I am NO good at painting.
I have a good friend who just so happens to manage a shop. He is a great guy and is into his own RC Obsession.

For sure Hydro J.
On the subject of weight,
Let me ask about:
The center of gravity and transom measured weight percentages. Is it true 4-8 oz. on the rear transom and a 50/50 split to the sponson transoms is a good baseline? or ?
If you were talking a scale boat, you would be in the ballpark. Since your boat is a T-boat class, it's going to be different. That said, just guessing, the side to side is better being even or slightly off with the heavy side to the left. This would seem backwards, but you have to consider the engine torque and prop will be trying to lift the left side of the boat. This will be predominately in the straights since, if you're using a hooked fin or a fin that is angled inward at the bottom, it should hold the right side down in a turn while the boat's mass will help hold the left side down.
As far as transom weight, being under 16 ounces would be my goal for a scale. Some boats require more, some want less so the only way to really know would be to do some serious testing once the boat is ready to go

Do not worry about prop weight. Put the c.g. where the instructions call for. Joe specs at bulkhead 3 ready to run minus fuel. If you have to add lead put it as far forward as possible in the left sponson. When a neutral balanced boat blows off, it will roll right. Does not matter if going straight or in the turn. What I like to do is tape a paper cup to the deck where the weight will be installed. fill it with lead shot until you achieve the proper c.g. . Drill a 3/8 hole in the bottom. Take away a bit of the lead. Mix the remaining lead with epoxy and pour it through the hole. tape over the hole and place the boat so the lead/epoxy mix will cover the hole sealing it.

You guys are grate thank you for the input for sure.
Been a Long few days at work with lots of people out sic or Vacationing Grrrrrrr I have had my hands full but
I did get to finnish filling my hardware needs and took some time to go to Georgia's largest RC Swap Meet.
Shame there were so few Boats.
here are a few pics.
012.jpeg 014.jpeg 07.jpeg08.jpeg010.jpeg09.jpeg
I did buy one,..... For wall art in my Build room
04.jpeg05.jpeg Its going to have a safe home on display. It was very motivating to see so many gathered with the same Interests. 3 full buildings was a lot to cover in One afternoon.
Lots of great contacts and ideas.
Should have some time on the build this weekend.

With the parts made for the floor mounted engine I decided to put one together and see how it looks.
It is going to work just fine in a future boat with the solid flex drive Kit from Brent Byers again it is (NOT For This Boat)

01.jpeg02.jpeg03.jpeg04.jpeg
I may cut the cover cups a bit more to uncover the rubber. The engine sits almost identical (angle) to the 5inch side mounts.
Back to it I go.

With the parts made for the floor mounted engine I decided to put one together and see how it looks.
It is going to work just fine in a future boat with the solid flex drive Kit from Brent Byers again it is (NOT For This Boat)

View attachment 301840View attachment 301841View attachment 301842View attachment 301843
I may cut the cover cups a bit more to uncover the rubber. The engine sits almost identical (angle) to the 5inch side mounts.
Back to it I go.

Save the floor mounts for a scale boat. A lot of guys like them for the 1/667 scale hydros. I briefly went to a rc swap meet here in town over the weekend too. The only boats were brought by a couple club members. Mostly cars.

I have been super busy with work and Had a Buddy who wanted a 3800 Supercharged GTP engine
into his Pontiac Fiero. I have been involved with a few of these swaps and the BEAR is the OBDII repining and getting the right Exhaust, mounts and Transmission adapter. Thankfully I had some old Archie's stuff and this will help pay for the SLR Thunderboat.
3800GTPSwp.jpg
I know this is not a Car forum but Thought this was Cool.

I did get Most of the wood Deck finished and the Cowl fitted.
Getting ready to take it back apart to fill and sand the bottom for paint.
You all are welcome to suggest to me your process as I am going to paint it myself.
I was thinking using the glaze and spot putty for the small spots, plain Jane Rustoleum primer, and Sun bright Yellow. That way when it gets upside down It will be easy to see. (Yes I am sure it will be flipped once or twice. lol)
Decking_07.jpeg Cowl_02.jpeg tools_04.jpeg Prop_05.jpeg The stuffing tube and drive is all fitted. I did glove and mask up to Balanced and polished up my 1st prop. Dont think I will do any more myself as it took FOR EVER ! ! ! and by the time the spinning stopped on the balancer my hair was turning GREY-er.
Decking_04.jpegOnce I had most of the parts assembled and I fit the pipes lol. Then took it all apart.
I just wanted to see if the BIG pipe would fit. I will be installing the correct pipe at 13 inch and May add the muffler what you all think?
Pipe_03.jpeg
Share about the paint and adding the Muffler guys.
Still Smiling

I have been super busy with work and Had a Buddy who wanted a 3800 Supercharged GTP engine
into his Pontiac Fiero. I have been involved with a few of these swaps and the BEAR is the OBDII repining and getting the right Exhaust, mounts and Transmission adapter. Thankfully I had some old Archie's stuff and this will help pay for the SLR Thunderboat.
View attachment 302722
I know this is not a Car forum but Thought this was Cool.

I did get Most of the wood Deck finished and the Cowl fitted.
Getting ready to take it back apart to fill and sand the bottom for paint.
You all are welcome to suggest to me your process as I am going to paint it myself.
I was thinking using the glaze and spot putty for the small spots, plain Jane Rustoleum primer, and Sun bright Yellow. That way when it gets upside down It will be easy to see. (Yes I am sure it will be flipped once or twice. lol)
View attachment 302723 View attachment 302724 View attachment 302725 View attachment 302727 The stuffing tube and drive is all fitted. I did glove and mask up to Balanced and polished up my 1st prop. Dont think I will do any more myself as it took FOR EVER ! ! ! and by the time the spinning stopped on the balancer my hair was turning GREY-er.
View attachment 302728Once I had most of the parts assembled and I fit the pipes lol. Then took it all apart.
I just wanted to see if the BIG pipe would fit. I will be installing the correct pipe at 13 inch and May add the muffler what you all think?
View attachment 302731
Share about the paint and adding the Muffler guys.
Still Smiling

Glad you’re still working on the boat. Everything’s looking great. Any of the automotive fillers should be fine. I used to like the stuff called Evercoat, kind of a light blue color. I couldn’t find any last time I looked so I used bondo. You could also just use micro balloons mixed with epoxy to fill. If you are going to use Rustoleum, I can only tell you what worked for me. I used their 2x paint and primer. Shoot as many coats as you want but if you don’t re-coat within the specified time, wait like 4 days to re-coat. Same goes for masking and doing other colors. Once proper cure time has been given, I used Spraymax 2k Clear Glamour. Two part automotive clear in a can. It doesn’t mess with the 2x Rustoleum as long as proper cure time has been given. It’s hard and fuelproof. On the pipe, Maybe leave yourself the ability to either use the muffler or not. That way you can try it either way and see what the noise difference is.

I used Spraymax 2k Clear Glamour. Two part automotive clear in a can. It doesn’t mess with the 2x Rustoleum as long as proper cure time has been given. It’s hard and fuelproof. On the pipe, Maybe leave yourself the ability to either use the muffler or not. That way you can try it either way and see what the noise difference is.
Thanks RJ
I will see whats available local (SprayMax 2k) . . . . I found a place in Canada for vintage scale action figures. . . .Gunna see about ordering one driver and see about there quality. I will post a few pics when it gets here

Thanks RJ
I will see whats available local (SprayMax 2k) . . . . I found a place in Canada for vintage scale action figures. . . .Gunna see about ordering one driver and see about there quality. I will post a few pics when it gets here
I got my Spraymax on Amazon. I got 6 cans and and I think it came out to 17 something a can. For your T boat you’ll need a few cans. On my Backlash I used 3 full cans and got into a 4th. Once the hardener is released the can is only good for a day or so. Just an idea, you could buy a quart of something and spray with a gun if you have that equipment. I just didn’t feel like messing with all that. If you use this wear a respirator mask and spray outside or at least in the garage. It’s nasty. On drivers, Scale 3D makes nice printed drivers that you have to paint But I can’t get their site to pull up. Rattlesnake RC may have some too. I lucked into my driver, it’s one that was sold by the Blazers at one time. It’s not light though.

Chuck, could you post a picture, from the side of the boat, showing the routing of the stuffing tube where it comes out of the boat's bottom. It looks, from the picture you posted, like it has a very tight arc to it, just want to make sure it's not too tight. If it is too tight, it can cause extra loading on the engine and drive shaft as well as a lot of wear on the shaft and tube.
Prop_05.jpeg

too tight
I went ahead and started to take it apart already, But I am sure you are right about the curve, I am going to remove a section of the stuffing tube and re-bend into a gentler curve. Here is the image I plan to duplicate. Thank you HJ.1649006587844.png
I will post the picture as soon as I fin panting the bottom.

Sounds good. I was just concerned that it might cause problems with running the boat and, with all of the work you've done so far, that would be, for lack of a better way to say it, unfortunate.

I put the finishing tuches to the inside and 1st coat to seal the teak on the Deck. I was not happy with one side so I cut it off and relayed the long strips.
Decking_Fix_02.jpeg Decking_Fix_01.jpeg Decking_Fin_04.jpeg
Much better. going to wait for the inside to dry very well before moving on. This will give me time to work on the cowling. 2 more weeks to go before the Spring Nats here in Georgia. Here are a few more Images of my progress.
Decking_Fin_06.jpeg Decking_Fin_02.jpeg Decking_Fin_005.jpeg
Plugging along...
Prop_Tube_02.jpeg
The Bottom needs filling sanding and sealing after I get some work on the Cowling.
As far as the Spring Nationals.....
No I wont be ready that's for sure,
but I will be doing my part to help and meet some Great Peoples.

Attachments

• Decking_Fin_004.jpeg
    Decking_Fin_004.jpeg
    395.6 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Back