My 1st Build (SLR Missile Thunderboat ZippKit)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking at placing a $700+ order so guess who's going to need some serious Jack Daniel's Honey Whiskey?
700% agree. times 4
Yeah it’s not too difficult to tally up 700.00 over at Micromark! Been there done that!
Great minds think alike, IMHO anything less would be uncivilized.

Funny thing
I thought I was going to build a RC Hydroplane for under 1500.oo Duckets.. . .
OH BOY! OBERTO , was I off... I think I spent that on extra extras of the got-to-have-it category..
There are far worse things I could be doing
Still smiling
C

700% agree. times 4

Funny thing
OH BOY! OBERTO , was I off... I think I spent that on extra extras of the got-to-have-it category..
Still smiling
C
Yes there are definitely worse things you could get involved with 😂. It’s a worthwhile hobby. Even a problematic day at the lake is better than a good day at work in most cases. Well in my opinion anyway…

700% agree. times 4

Funny thing
Still smiling
C
$1500 for a hydroplane is actually very doable, IF you stick to buying just what you need to build the boat and get it running. Problem is, and I'm guilty of this too, you see something that you think will make the build easier/quicker and you spend funds on that out of your "building funds". You buy a new sander, a new band saw and a new Dremel to make cutting and shaping quicker and easier. For me, that quickly adds up to around $750-$1000. Now, your $1500 boat is up to $2250-$3000. The justification is that you'll have them for all of your future builds so it's money well spent. Next build comes along, you decide you need additional accessories for the Dremel, a new shop vac for the sander and a new rip fence for the band saw. You then read here in the forum that getting different clamps made building a boat easier for someone so, hoping for the same, you go buy a stack of them too. You can see where this is headed, every build you add to your tool inventory and the money spent on the boats due to buying them. This is before the consumables like sand paper, epoxy and epoxy brushes, mixing cups, Exacto blades and hardware. It's amazing how much money we spend on a build that is not actually part of that build and that we don't notice until we look at our checking account balances at the end of the month. Sure, we know we spent $400 on a 260 Pum and maybe another $200 on the exhaust, but what about the other couple of hundred we spent on the little items that we "had to have" to build a new boat? Just something to think about when we look through the Micromark and Rockler websites or brick and mortar stores:oops:

This is one of my winter projects of 2019-2020, SLR missile, ENVY, and the FE-33 oh all most forgot the A-Box Crackerbox.

Attachments

• IMG_1143.JPG
    IMG_1143.JPG
    812.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1144.JPG
    IMG_1144.JPG
    1,017.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Zippkits SLR Missile finished pic 1.jpg
    Zippkits SLR Missile finished pic 1.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Zippkits SLR Missile finished pic 2.jpg
    Zippkits SLR Missile finished pic 2.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Zippkits SLR Missile finished pic 3.jpg
    Zippkits SLR Missile finished pic 3.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Zippkits SLR Missile finished pic 4.jpg
    Zippkits SLR Missile finished pic 4.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 119043297_3931995700149512_2803662647172963991_n.jpg
    119043297_3931995700149512_2803662647172963991_n.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 118988827_3909855505696865_2532416161891130616_o.jpg
    118988827_3909855505696865_2532416161891130616_o.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1136.JPG
    IMG_1136.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
winter projects of 2019-2020
Agree, Very FAST lookin Water Dancers Capt B.Maniac.
If you dont mind sharing how ya set up your Cowl on you T-Boat feel free to post a few images.
Thanks for your In-put.

Earlier, A fine Builder posted his Plank build (Different Web-Forum) Here are a few Images of his SLR Build. I am hoping to see posts in the near future WHEN HE finishes the top deck.
It will be Electric Fun Boat so no worries about Competition and I really like the way he closes up the cowl as he wont need wide access with a GAS engine gives it more room on the Deck for the Planking. I find it an outstanding Build.
IMG_01.jpgIMG_03.jpgIMG_04.jpgIMG_5.jpgIMG_06.jpgIMG_07.jpgIMG_08.jpgThe last image posted shows the center-line and 4 grain matched nose pieces that looked to be a great way to finish the top. This was the last image posted, So I am looking forward to more updates.
Planks look SWEET. Great Work.
Taking notes and Spending more.
Off the Phone with Bob at Blazer Marine and a Lauterbach Kit, Cowl and Fin be inline for a build and yes it is a toss up to build next or the ML Boat works 1/6.6 kit. and I am Lovin IT>
Fair Winds all

Agree, Very FAST lookin Water Dancers Capt B.Maniac.
If you dont mind sharing how ya set up your Cowl on you T-Boat feel free to post a few images.
Thanks for your In-put.

Earlier, A fine Builder posted his Plank build (Different Web-Forum) Here are a few Images of his SLR Build. I am hoping to see posts in the near future WHEN HE finishes the top deck.
It will be Electric Fun Boat so no worries about Competition and I really like the way he closes up the cowl as he wont need wide access with a GAS engine gives it more room on the Deck for the Planking. I find it an outstanding Build.
View attachment 300085View attachment 300087View attachment 300088View attachment 300089View attachment 300090View attachment 300091View attachment 300092The last image posted shows the center-line and 4 grain matched nose pieces that looked to be a great way to finish the top. This was the last image posted, So I am looking forward to more updates.
Planks look SWEET. Great Work.
Taking notes and Spending more.
Off the Phone with Bob at Blazer Marine and a Lauterbach Kit, Cowl and Fin be inline for a build and yes it is a toss up to build next or the ML Boat works 1/6.6 kit. and I am Lovin IT>
Fair Winds all
Just to let you know I ain't ignoring you, but I am trying to go through two years of pic's and trying to find the template I used to make the fin. As far as the cockpit area I used two strips of 3/8" balsa I did the initial shaping so I could have 3'16 of wood sticking out of the area of the cockpit so it could be shaped to the contour on both sides then just a lot of dermel work to shape the inside. The dash and pilot was ordered through Warehouse hobbies. The scoop on the front was shaped out of balsa and once the final shaping and sanding was done, I soaked it with thin ca glue then attached it with epoxy. Once I can find the template, I'll get it out to you .

Been a great week AT work and a Very busy one.
I think I sanded the edge of the cowling and cleaned up the table. That being the total Build time I have had...
I have been thinking just how lucky I have been to work with great people, at work, Here, and to finnaly get into this hydro build.
Its only taken 30+ years to finnly do it...
You all are Outstanding support.
I have nothing but smiles...

I am trying to go through two years of pic's and trying to find the template
No worries and thank you for sure..
It is the idea that you choose to look that tells me I am in the right place with Good people.
I know I am FAR from firing up the boat but I do feel like I belong.

a problematic day at the lake is better than a good day at work in most cases
THE Truth, The Truth for sure Rich J.
Your Build is looking GREAT ! ! !

OK
so on closer inspection I have noticed the rear section of the bottom (Hull).
Aft of the sponson Transom, the boat has developed a small curve 1/16th inch up.
It is a even (FLAT Port to Starboard) transition but still is a small warp.
I am taking steps to screw down the deck directly to the jig then lay the upper decking into place to dry.
Possibilities are what ?
preload or shrinking and the drying out of the wood due to the drop in Humidity may have been the cause
IMHO.
The build room temp has been a consistent 71 with average humidity of 60% (Normal Georgia).
BUT this cold spell has dropped H. below 30% in the house with the heaters on...... Grrrrrrrrrr.
Honestly I never thought it could have such an effect on the build.

Hey R.J.
Work has been 24-7 with over 1/2 the Team sic I am starting to feel the hours takin there toll.
I was able to get the hull screwed down and solid. the bow is gone, thankfully. will get more done this weekend.

Hey All. . . .

Hope you are all well and have been busy at your builds.

Been I a few 24’s my boat is coming along little by little. I did some more reading and decided to sand and seal the underside of each piece of teak before placing it on the sponson bulkheads. I did one at a time and pre-fit each so I would get the compound curves without too much twisting forces. IMHO it turned out fair, for my 1st go. The last piece was done tonight and I will let it sit till tomorrow before I remove the clamps and do a lil sanding. For my own piece of mind I weighed the original deck ply that came with the SLR and the cut teak and decided to just lay the teak. Gluing both would not help with weight issue. Moving on to the Nose Piece this weekend then my hardware for inside the boat should be hear. A few pic’s of my work so far.
Sponson_04.jpegSponson_05.jpegSponson_011.jpegSponson_09.jpeg

I did add two extra bulkheads for the curve from the nose to the cowling front edge. I thought it would look a bit FLAT without them up front. All in all I am glad to have such a great kit to work with for sure. Now its time to let stuff dry and go see how others are doing.
C

Hey All. . . .

Hope you are all well and have been busy at your builds.

Been I a few 24’s my boat is coming along little by little. I did some more reading and decided to sand and seal the underside of each piece of teak before placing it on the sponson bulkheads. I did one at a time and pre-fit each so I would get the compound curves without too much twisting forces. IMHO it turned out fair, for my 1st go. The last piece was done tonight and I will let it sit till tomorrow before I remove the clamps and do a lil sanding. For my own piece of mind I weighed the original deck ply that came with the SLR and the cut teak and decided to just lay the teak. Gluing both would not help with weight issue. Moving on to the Nose Piece this weekend then my hardware for inside the boat should be hear. A few pic’s of my work so far.
View attachment 300718View attachment 300719View attachment 300720View attachment 300721

I did add two extra bulkheads for the curve from the nose to the cowling front edge. I thought it would look a bit FLAT without them up front. All in all I am glad to have such a great kit to work with for sure. Now its time to let stuff dry and go see how others are doing.
C
That teak looks cool AF! Can’t wait to see pics as it progresses!

All honesty I was sweating the weight of the Teak but its almost Identical to the ply.
I have been gathering stuff for the ML boat and the GAS Scale cowling just showed up. Dont you just love it when the UPS mang drops off boxes. OH yea the GS500C-GS from Steve at RC Boat Co. is a Fine #$@ looking piece.
Very happy I was able to have him on the short list of GoTo order.
GasCowling_02a.jpg GasCowling_01a.jpg

All honesty I was sweating the weight of the Teak but its almost Identical to the ply.
I have been gathering stuff for the ML boat and the GAS Scale cowling just showed up. Dont you just love it when the UPS mang drops off boxes. OH yea the GS500C-GS from Steve at RC Boat Co. is a Fine #$@ looking piece.
Very happy I was able to have him on the short list of GoTo order.
View attachment 300764 View attachment 300765
Steve does nice work!

Steve does nice work
Yes he does. the more I read and learn about building a competitive boat, starting with a solid design is paramount. It was a toss up between a Blazer Lauterbach Gen 2 Kit or a hull kit from Steve RC Boat Co.
Maybe I should stay focused on finishing this one. LoL
Had to work this weekend But still able to decompress with a few boards in-place on the build.
It is going well and I am going to do the deck plugs next. Pic to follow.
But for now it is time to carefully fit the cowling and make sure it follows the line of the boat.
Also the solid water line for the engine cooling and exhaust needs to be in place before the rest of the deck is laid.
C.

Yes he does. the more I read and learn about building a competitive boat, starting with a solid design is paramount. It was a toss up between a Blazer Lauterbach Gen 2 Kit or a hull kit from Steve RC Boat Co.
Maybe I should stay focused on finishing this one. LoL
Had to work this weekend But still able to decompress with a few boards in-place on the build.
It is going well and I am going to do the deck plugs next. Pic to follow.
But for now it is time to carefully fit the cowling and make sure it follows the line of the boat.
Also the solid water line for the engine cooling and exhaust needs to be in place before the rest of the deck is laid.
C.
Yeah get the Zipp Boat finished before you start on too many other things. When you finish the hull building and it’s ready for hardware and finishing, stuff really tends to drag out. I had my last boat ready for painting and rigging at the end of last April and it’s maiden voyage was June 6 and I was still bolting on stuff the night before. It takes
patience and diligence to get these things on the water!

One thing I am glad a was able to get the whole hardware package from Zipp. they do make things less complicated.
So once the sponsons were sealed and dry underside I went for it ! ! ! I drilled out each plank.
I used a dark Micro-balloon filler to give just a small difference between the teak and the plugs.
Sponson_016.jpeg I filled each, one at a time. Sponson_pinned_01aa.jpeg after sanding 80/120
next I mixed the Epoxy and denatured alcohol for the 1st coat to be absorbed and seal the top side of the Sponsons.
I am very pleased with the way they look.
Sponson_pinned_02b.jpeg Sponson_pinned_02.jpeg Sponson_pinned_01b.jpeg
Once it drys I will do a few more coats, but will do so after the rest is in place. The light reflection is really kewl.
another full coat inside and out of the whole boat before I move to the cowling fitment.

Back