MuttII sport 40 legal for belly pan?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Stein

Are all MUTTs wood or glass versions legal under the new unpublished rules that are floating around. The way I read it, they do not follow the letter of the rule.

Since I have a wood and glass version of these boats I need clarification on the " MUST terminate smoothly"

9. Belly pans are allowed but must terminate aft smoothly and extend no further than 50% of the aft
plane. Belly pans must be at least 3/8” above the bottom planning surface of the boat measured
with the boat resting on its 3 points on a static table.

M13X Sportsman pages(1).pdf

Attachments

• M13X Sportsman pages(1).pdf
    184.8 KB · Views: 71
Hey Mark,

I'm thinking not legal for only IMPBA - - it doesn't terminate aft smoothly the way I read the rule. Not even in print yet and already questions. BOHICA!!! CHEERS !!! Bob

I did the original drawing for the change.. The pic I had of what this would look like did not make the proposal.

We got what we got

Grim

Hi Jerry! Heres the info you were asking about. I Think!

9. Belly pans are allowed but must terminate aft smoothly and extend no further than 50% of the
aft plane. Belly pans must be at least 3/8” above the bottom planning surface of the boat measured

Sean

Hi Jerry! Heres the info you were asking about. I Think!

9. Belly pans are allowed but must terminate aft smoothly and extend no further than 50% of the
aft plane. Belly pans must be at least 3/8” above the bottom planning surface of the boat measured

Sean
I'm probably nit picking, but what constitutes a smooth termination?

JD

WOW!!

Wasn't there just a bunch of posts about a rule change that would make some existing boats illegal?

Technically the glass Mutt belly pan does terminate smoothly. It all depends on your definition. It has a 90 degree corner, but then has a radius that blends to the bottom of the boat. The ones with a wood center section as well as the wood sport 20s that Jerry is referring to..... that is a different story.

Bellypan.pdf

Attachments

• Bellypan.pdf
    180.3 KB · Views: 61
If they make an abrupt stop and end in a *90 you could add a piece of round or triangle stock to make a "smooth transition". I dont think the rules give you a ratio of transition into the hull. Just a length and depth.

Whats the third point after the sponsons with the sponsons being 2 of 3 points? The bottom of the strut or the transom?

I guess the guys making the rules wanted to get rid of some competition. Previous conversations with those involved witht the rule changes, the only change I needed to make was to add a strip to the existing air trap of the glass version. now after studying this mess. Really?

IMPBA does it again 8 months after releasing the changes has not made it the least of its priorities to post rules properly to the website. Good thing for International Waters

Ya I am Pissed and currently thinking there will be 2 less sport 40s that will ever see the water again. I have spent years getting my previously IMPBA legal boat where it is for records events to find out it is now illegal. Not to mention NO added diagram to show what is considered legal for belly pan termination.

I am calling out whoever was involved with this debacle.

I guess the guys making the rules wanted to get rid of some competition. Previous conversations with those involved witht the rule changes, the only change I needed to make was to add a strip to the existing air trap of the glass version. now after studying this mess. Really?

IMPBA does it again 8 months after releasing the changes has not made it the least of its priorities to post rules properly to the website. Good thing for International Waters

Ya I am Pissed and currently thinking there will be 2 less sport 40s that will ever see the water again. I have spent years getting my previously IMPBA legal boat where it is for records events to find out it is now illegal. Not to mention NO added diagram to show what is considered legal for belly pan termination.

I am calling out whoever was involved with this debacle.
That's because it seems there more worried about where the strut is located. Just my 2 cents.

Mark,

All boats racing prior to the rule change are grandfathered in. You will be fine. I know as I have a couple of illegal boats sitting here myself.

Now get those boats ready to race and make it out to some races this year.

Mike, Thanks for the update on my old boat. The new Mutt I have had for a few years but never raced. I attached a pic of the rear of the belly pan. What is the ruling on that that transition.

There are new Mutts being made now which I am sure are the same as this. Anybody that wants to run one in IMPBA should know where they stand.

IMG_0661.JPG

I think the rule says that the prop will be considered one of the points.
Exactly, whats to stop someone from lowering or raising the strut and thus changing the measurement from the lowest point of the belly pan to the bench?

There is now also a 1/4" called out on the depth of the air trap. This dimension makes it impossible to modify them to be an 1/8" wide

a rules intentions sometimes have concequences kind of like elections

Paul Bychowski since you submitted additions and corrections. How about your clarification on the intent and extent of the changes to the rules. Lets get the information out where it can be used. point by point would be good

Last edited by a moderator:
9. Belly pans are allowed but must terminate aft smoothly and extend no further than 50% of the aft
plane. Belly pans must be at least 3/8” above the bottom planning surface of the boat measured

I get the 50% and 3/8" parts as they are measurable quantities. The "3 points" would probably be interpreted to be sponsons and the strut as the boat was run.

"terminate aft smoothly" however is very subjective, "smoothly" to me might not be "smoothly" to someone else. I could interpret the paint buildup in the corner as a "smooth" transition without any quantitative guidance.
default_rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The air trap is an easy fix I can email you pics. I have a new one of these boats and am pretty sure the air trap is the only issue but will read the belly pan rule closely.

Mark,

Your best bet is to send an e-mail to Joe Wiebelhaus since he is the IMPBA sport 40 director and the rest of the board to get a ruling on the boat. That is what I did with my new design that I have and Joe looked at the drawing and gave me the green light. It is as easy as that.

You should have asked some of these things when the rules were presented. When the rule first came out it was terrible timing and blind sided a lot of people. It was immediately removed from trial status and tabled. Paul did a very good job of petitioning people on IW asking for input into the new sport 40 rules. The people involved took the input, from those that gave any, and wrote the rules as they were presented and then voted in. Yes, they were voted in and everybody had a chance to look at them well in advance and knew that it was coming since the first proposal was tabled. If I remember right the vote was not even close and passed over a year ago. I myself did not like things in the rule, but the membership voted on it and now I am making alterations to my new boat so that they meet the new rules.

I was assured by the IMPBA president that the existing hulls would be grandfathered in and I was allowed to run my boat last year even though it would be considered illegal under the new rules. If your worried about something you have that is new, it sounds like the couple of items can be easily altered to align with the new rules but you should ask the IMPBA for clarification.

By the way, I always thought the Mutt was in the grey area as far as a bottom extension is considered anyways because when you look at it from the transom view and look at the old sport 40 rules, the IMPBA picture that says illegal bottom extension and the Mutt look alike. But I like the grey area
default_smile.png

Don't give up now, your getting to close to breaking my oval record. Better hurry up, I hear Liddycoat is getting close and you never know what I got up my sleeve.

Back