MuttII sport 40 legal for belly pan?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The air trap is an easy fix I can email you pics. I have a new one of these boats and am pretty sure the air trap is the only issue but will read the belly pan rule closely.
If you are adding a strip to the bottom of the air trap make sure you measure from the bottom of the boat to the top of the strip. It can not extend more than 1/4"

When i measure the one on my glass boat the air trap is already 1/4" deep.

Mike,I really appreciate your comments on this. I had brought this up before the changes came out and was told the only change was to add a strip to the bottom of the current glass boats air trap. There was no discussion originally about the belly pan.

Since I have been running only a couple times a year I didnt spend much time on here. I still do not see it posted on the IMPBA website yet.

You have seen the boat run. Just waiting now for the weather and the water. Of coarse since these changes I have to make changes to my record boat air traps because of the new wording and dimensions it puts me behind the 8 ball again. thats ok the same setup is going in boat I am building for heat racing with a couple tweeks. Scott L. boat looks **** fast from What i have seen

calling out a minimun length to height ratio and a drawing to verify what was correct would have eliminated the gray area for the belly pan but left an area for a designer to work with.

I will contact Joe W. and see what we can do about this fuzzy math. Anyone running a Mutt or building a new boat should have the information available

Mark the air trap must taper to 1/8 width,I see no rule on depth?
attachicon.gif
Sec-H, Nitro Special Classes 2013.pdf
Mike, you are looking at the old rules. Please see my first post for the attachment. there is a link to a file drafted last year which is the new updated rules to live by.

Mike, take a couple measurements of from the bottom of the boat to the bottom of the original air trap. then measure the added strip. The new rule states no deeper than 1/4" obviously any part that is over 1/8" wide and deeper than 1/4" will make it illegal per the new standards.

I have already completely cut off the air traps on my glass boat so I am measuring from the tangent point to the bottom . trust me not for the faint of heart

Mark the air trap must taper to 1/8 width,I see no rule on depth?
attachicon.gif
Sec-H, Nitro Special Classes 2013.pdf
Mike, you are looking at the old rules. Please see my first post for the attachment. there is a link to a file drafted last year which is the new updated rules to live by.

Mike, take a couple measurements of from the bottom of the boat to the bottom of the original air trap. then measure the added strip. The new rule states no deeper than 1/4" obviously any part that is over 1/8" wide and deeper than 1/4" will make it illegal per the new standards.

I have already completely cut off the air traps on my glass boat so I am measuring from the tangent point to the bottom . trust me not for the faint of heart
Dont know about cutting off all the airtrap? that may mess up the ride of the boat. Now that they are cut off get some 1/8th sq and put the airtrap back on like it was. You see it says no deeper than 1/4 at termination.
RULE
Air traps 1/8th" wide are allowed and must start at the back of the front sponson and at termination
be no deeper than 1/4". Non continuous air traps will be considered a planning surface.

Mike,I really appreciate your comments on this. I had brought this up before the changes came out and was told the only change was to add a strip to the bottom of the current glass boats air trap. There was no discussion originally about the belly pan.

Since I have been running only a couple times a year I didnt spend much time on here. I still do not see it posted on the IMPBA website yet.

You have seen the boat run. Just waiting now for the weather and the water. Of coarse since these changes I have to make changes to my record boat air traps because of the new wording and dimensions it puts me behind the 8 ball again. thats ok the same setup is going in boat I am building for heat racing with a couple tweeks. Scott L. boat looks **** fast from What i have seen

calling out a minimun length to height ratio and a drawing to verify what was correct would have eliminated the gray area for the belly pan but left an area for a designer to work with.

I will contact Joe W. and see what we can do about this fuzzy math. Anyone running a Mutt or building a new boat should have the information available
Mark,

Make sure you go to the IMPBA website every once in a while and read the roostertails. That is where all of the information is on the rule changes. They are in process of updating the rule book and posting the new rules to the web site.

Question for Mike Betke and Phil, i have a new version Phil Thomas boat but there has been s0ome work to the pads and belly pan it is legal for NAMBA will it be legal for IMPBA

If you remove the air traps good luck getting it to run right.

Sounds like they finally found a way to rule our boat out. Funny it's a 15 year old design and no one has come up with a better mouse trap so out law them.

Would the grand father cover any boat out of the molds or just the ones that have run already?

One would assume that the Mutt2 has been grandfathered. A new boat out of the mold is the same as the old boat out of the mold.

Mark, I had no choice due to the rule changes for the glass boat. Adding a strip to the bottom to make it 1/8" wide is not an approved method to make the hull legal. Adding a wedge to the back of the belly pan is a pain cause you still need a way to drain water from the engine compartment so a path for that water must be worked into it. Pain in the #%4 really but whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:
I need a few people who run the Glass version of the Mutt II in IMPBA to send me a PM. PLease do this ASAP as I need information.

Thank You

Mark

If you remove the air traps good luck getting it to run right.

Sounds like they finally found a way to rule our boat out. Funny it's a 15 year old design and no one has come up with a better mouse trap so out law them.

Would the grand father cover any boat out of the molds or just the ones that have run already?
its a "good" boat but nobody is hunting it down.. lol..

Grim,

That was unnecessary. At least Mark has had Sport 40s on the market for a number of years and is also concerned with the direction, limitations, and vagueness of this current Sportsman 40 rule change.

Was there any benefit to be gleamed from your comment, or just a "Cheap Shot" meant to antagonize and get another Soap Opera rolling here on IW ??? CHEERS !!! Bob

Listen.. he suggested the IMPBA (or a group of people) was singling his boat out.. that’s just not the case.. Laugh if you choose.. or not.. He knows that not true. I found his post kind of funny.. I have a StRaNgE since of humor.

Sorry to those offended

Grim

Hey Grim,

Roger that.

The ongoing Sport boat saga has been so toxic that I don't feel we needed any more flamables thrown in.

We shouldn't have to be "Ass U MING" anything, and eliminating the few Sport 40 options we have available to boaters is uncalled for - even if only "assumed" at this point. Today, without hard copy rules available, we have one Sport boater cutting up a perfectly good hull trying to comply with the unknown.

The AC Sport hull is gone, Phil's SS45 will be around FOREVER, and those building their own hulls should be encouraged to grow the class.

Getting an approved set of Sport 40 rules available to the community after so much discension would go a long way in growing our section of the hobby, rather than diminishing it. CHEERS !!! Bob

I think all knew this was going to be a challenge.. It might have been better to risk a "new" sport 40 class set of rules and let the class grow or die on its own merit.

To me.. the current path was a death sentence for the class.

So you know.. I also think I have seen nothing better than just a “good” sport 40. REGARLESS of who designs it or makes it.. It’s the tuner that makes it better than good.. no more no less.

Steve Peterson.. CAN TUNE

Mike Betke CAN TUNE

Mike Shindler CAN TUNE

Phil Thomas CAN TUNE

David Preusse CAN TUNE

Mark Anderson CAN TUNE

and the list goes on.. all drive good boats.. and all CAN TUNE..

(Dave preusses boats look like hovercrafts out there)

Grim

Last edited by a moderator:
Back