MuttII sport 40 legal for belly pan?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Grim,

Roger that.

The ongoing Sport boat saga has been so toxic that I don't feel we needed any more flamables thrown in.

We shouldn't have to be "Ass U MING" anything, and eliminating the few Sport 40 options we have available to boaters is uncalled for - even if only "assumed" at this point. Today, without hard copy rules available, we have one Sport boater cutting up a perfectly good hull trying to comply with the unknown.

The AC Sport hull is gone, Phil's SS45 will be around FOREVER, and those building their own hulls should be encouraged to grow the class.

Getting an approved set of Sport 40 rules available to the community after so much discension would go a long way in growing our section of the hobby, rather than diminishing it. CHEERS !!! Bob
Im sure all the boats we have run will be good to run. The new rule is to give direction to builders so we dont end up with the thingy boats. Im sure there can be a legal design that still looks a bit funny but there is a set of basic rules to follow now. I wasnt in favor of that belly pan rule but it was included, and it isnt something that wont have a workaround or exemption.

Grim, call it coincidence or whatever but 2 of those rules make the Mutt illegal in IMPBA. This is the class that was all in $@#% storm about how the class was shrinking since we couldnt mount struts on the outside transom. Measured my boat last night and found out if i move the strut up .020" i am illegal to the belly pan depth rule and my air traps are 1/8" to tall to the new rule. This is the boat i have been trying to set a record with is now illegal.

Let gary pruece know his mutt is probably illegal also. His boat held IMPBA RECORDS at one time.

Im not offended...lol and i am Far from done

I truly believe in people.. call it a fault...

After all these years of racing all kinds of junk I still believe in people...

To some...most?... must be nuts!
default_smile.png

Grim

Like puttting the cart before the horse.People building boats then the new rules come out.The new rules should have been out in black and white before the first of the year.

My 2 cents

Dave

Like puttting the cart before the horse.People building boats then the new rules come out.The new rules should have been out in black and white before the first of the year.

My 2 cents

Dave
try to keep up Dave, the new rules were voted on last year, you racing boats this year, just leave that sport 20 home HA

I think all knew this was going to be a challenge.. It might have been better to risk a "new" sport 40 class set of rules and let the class grow or die on its own merit.

To me.. the current path was a death sentence for the class.

So you know.. I also think I have seen nothing better than just a “good” sport 40. REGARLESS of who designs it or makes it.. It’s the tuner that makes it better than good.. no more no less.

Steve Peterson.. CAN TUNE

Mike Betke CAN TUNE

Mike Shindler CAN TUNE

Phil Thomas CAN TUNE

David Preusse CAN TUNE

Mark Anderson CAN TUNE

and the list goes on.. all drive good boats.. and all CAN TUNE..

(Dave preusses boats look like hovercrafts out there)

Grim

If you saw FAST member Mark Stein's Mutt you would add him to the list too.

Low 70's and he's got it goin' around the corner smooooth!
default_happy.png

Grim, I do appreciate your attempt at input to the rules.

The class was not going to go anywhere regardless of these rules. The biggest issue for me is they make a previously hull running in IMPBA for 15 plus years illegal in black and white.( oh yea I own 2 of them) guessing that these rules are not going to help the class grow one bit.

Terry, I included the word "others" I know full well of Marks tuning ability's. that's all...

Lets Race

grim

reading back.. I hope you guys dont think I was blasting Mark and his ablity to tune a boat.. or that "his" boats are no good....good lord.. NOT THE CASE.. lol..

I need to step away...

he gone!

Grim

reading back.. I hope you guys dont think I was blasting Mark and his ablity to tune a boat.. or that "his" boats are no good....good lord.. NOT THE CASE.. lol..

I need to step away...

he gone!

Grim
Not a bit, funny how this "keyboard" stuff can misconstrue things.

Just thought I'd put in a plug for my FAST bro, he's been workin' that boat hard for a long time and really has it flyin'!
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
If memory serves me correctly, Phil had to change the bellypan on his boat a few years ago because it didn't meet the NAMBA rule although guys had been racing it for years in that organization. I believe that is when the Mutt hull looked at and deemed it didn't make the rules for IMPBA.

Point it, all this whinnying isn't going to fix a thing. Bevel the rear of the bellypan and put 1/8 inch airtraps on it and go run the boat. It's that simple. 4 pages of this is enough.

Buddy, You cannot just add a strip to the air trap. the new rules are specific in its dimensions. The front of the mutt air trap is 1/2" deep and tapers to just under 1/4" at the rear.

what is taper behind the belly pan. this part of the rule is far to open to interpretation. how long must it be?can i narrow it toward the rear?. if the belly pan is to deep what then.

I have asked for dimensions from people with glass mutts

Simply said it aint that simple.

I had to read the rules 5-6 times before the depth of the needed changes sunk in.

If it was just heat racing most wouldnt care about what is written. I am going for a record if the hull doesnt fit the rules I CAN NOT set a record period. Can anyone legally get US1 with an illegal hull UM No!

"Buddy, You cannot just add a strip to the air trap. the new rules are specific in its dimensions. The front of the mutt air trap is 1/2" deep and tapers to just under 1/4" at the rear."

Rule is:15. Air traps 1/8th" wide are allowed and must start at the back of the front sponson and at termination be no deeper than 1/4". Non continuous air traps will be considered a planning surface.

So, what is the problem? As long as the air trap is 1/8 wide and is under a 1/4 inch high at the rear of the boat then you have no problem. There is NOTHING in the rule that states how tall the air trap has to be when it comes off the back of the sponson. It only has to be 1/4 in or less at the termination point "Transom" of the boat.

As far as the belly pan goes put a piece of triangle stock at the rear and call it good. it's just to get rid of the 90 degree end of the pan.

Since there is not a National Tech. Director, I would take a picture of the belly pan and send it to the IMPBA president and ask if it is legal if you that worried about it.

Buddy

If I remember correctly didn't they do a role call for the boat builders to contact the people or person that wanted the rule changed. I know from what I was told the new rules was to keep Sport 40 from turning into Gas Sport Hydro. To keep them from looking like modified riggers. I don't think they intended to keep one specific hull from racing and to keep future boats from racing.

Mark. See Mike Betke's post #20. He is correct on that hull being grandfather in. Any boat that ran through 2013 will be legal. The new rule took effect Jan 1 2014. The website will have all the updates soon.

Back