Thunderboat Rules for the Winter Nats

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VenomCC

I was informed Saturday the 12th of December 2009 by our new Dist 3 Director and our Dist 3 Thunderboat Director that ALL Thunderboats will have to adhere to NAMBA Thunderboat rules AND Dist 3 rules.

Sorry but my hands are tied on this one.

Here are the rules as sent to me by the Dist 3 Director in an e-mail.

Wayne, here is a copy of the NAMBA national Thunder Boat rules as well as the District 3 rules. As you can see what Perry added has to do with the stock engines more than anything else. This was done to help clarify what was legal concerning the definition of a stock Zenoah G26 PUM engine. The hull rules are still the same national specs.

D. SPECIALITY CLASSES

1. CLASSIC THUNDERBOAT

a. Hull Specifications

i) The boat may be of wood or fiberglass construction.

ii) The hull length will be between 48” – 56”.

iii) The hull width will be a minimum of 24”.

iv) The transom will be a minimum of 10” in width.

v) The hull design will only be one of the following types: round nose,

step deck, or chisel nose.

vi) Nothing on the boat may be further than 5 1/4" behind the transom.

b. Motor Specifications

i) Engines will be a Zenoah G260 PUM. The Engine may run a stock

257 carburetor. No internal modifications are allowed. All

replacement parts must be from the original manufacturer and the

same type engine (Zenoah 260 to Zenoah 260). No part swapping

from other manufacturers or engine types is permitted.

ii) Any pipe combo may be used. The pipe and muffler must be inside

the boat and exit through the transom.

c. Appearance

i) The boat must have a sponsored paint scheme with sponsored IDs

and U numbers on the boat.

ii) The boat must have a driver in a front or rear cockpit. The driver

must be a scale of 1/8 to 1/6 in relationship to the size of the boat.

iii) The boat must run with an engine cowling or dummy engine to cover

as much of the boat’s engine as possible.

d. Race Format

i) At the discretion of the Contest Director, races will be run either

under the NAMBA Heat Racing Format or the “Love Plan” which is

run as follows:

(a) The event must consist of four preliminary rounds of heats and

one final round of concluding heats. The concluding round of

heats must consist of one final heat and a consolation heat.

( B) The maximum number of boats in the final heat is six. The top

five boats with the highest points after the four preliminary

rounds will be eligible for the final heat. If a frequency conflict

exists between two or more boats eligible for the final heat,

preference goes to the boat that has accumulated the most

points in the preliminary rounds, or to the boat with the fastest

time should a tie in points occur. The other boat will have the

option to change to any other available frequency.

© After the final heat field has been set, boats accumulating

points in the four preliminary rounds after the fifth position

will be used to fill the consolation heat. The winner of this heat

will be used to fill the six boat final heat.

(d) The outcome of the consolation heat will not affect the overall

standings or points for the day.

(e) Final race standings will be determined by order of finish in the

final.

Page 1 of 2 November 14, 2009

DISTRICT III SUNSHINE R/C BOAT RACERS

RULE BOOK OF THE NORTH AMERICAN

MODEL BOAT ASSOCIATION INTERNATIONAL, INC.

CLASSIC THUNDERBOAT RULES

The Classic Thunderboat class in NAMBA District 3 will use the NAMBA International Rules subject to the following additions and clarifications.

1. The engine used in the Classic Thunderboat will be a STOCK G260 PUM Zenoah. STOCK means from the “box to the boat”. No internal modifications of any kind. This includes the piston which must be “out of the box” stock. The engine cannot be “blueprinted”. No grinding, polishing, cutting, machining, bead blasting or enlarging. The engine can be dissembled for maintenance only.

2. Either the Walbro WT-644 carburetor or the Walbro WT-257 carburetor may be used on the stock Zenoah G260 PUM engine. Whichever carburetor is used it must be stock as it comes from the manufacturer. If the Walbro WT-644 carburetor is used the choke must be left in place and not removed. The phillips head screws that attach the carb to the engine may be replaced with allen head screws. The AIR-funnel may be removed from the carb.

3. Misc.:

a. The front mount supplied with the engine may be removed and replaced front and rear with any mounts available to fit the individual boat.

b. The stock black water jacket (part no. T2076-12210) may be painted or anodized to any color.

c. The stock recoil starter assembly may be replaced by the Zenoah EZ Start starter assembly (part no. GR26099).

d. The use of a starter belt and pulley (Geezer Wheel) attached to the collet side of the crankshaft is legal as long as the Zenoah pull starter is not removed from the flywheel end of the engine.

e. The coil located on the side of the engine may be moved to another location on the engine.

f. Any brand of Spark Plug may be used.

g. The M5X0.8 water fittings on the engine may be drilled out to a larger size. The water fitting must not, however be replaced by a larger fitting. Page 1 of 2

h. Low drag seals are strictly prohibited.

i. All parts used for the engine must be from the parts list in the “Zenoah G260 PUM Owner’s Service Manual. Particular attention should be paid to Gasket thicknesses.

4. At the option of the Classic Thunderboat Director the engines in the first, second and third place boats may be inspected at any NAMBA District 3 Race for legality. If an engine is found to be illegal, as per these rules, the contestant will be disqualified and will serve a two race suspension. If the contestant is found to have an illegal engine a second time the contestant will serve a one year suspension from the date of the infraction. These suspensions apply to the Classic Thunderboat Class only and not other classes that the contestant runs in. This rule is separate from and does not conflict from a contestant’s right to protest any Classic Thunderboat as per the NAMBA International Rules.

5. If there are any questions regarding hull or engine rules contact the Thunderboat Director for clarification.

Captain Perry P Walter

Thunderboat Director

NAMBA District 3

Tom: Actually the "Love Plan" does not eat up that much more time. It is only one or two extra heats. Basically it is a winner take all final after the four heats are finished. If necessary a consulation heat is also run making two extra heats. Scales run the "Love Plan" if there are more than 10 boats. In Thunderboat we decided not to run the "Love Plan" in 2009 in order to see how the class developed. I hope this makes it a little clearer for you. Perry

Latest posts

Back