Mss K+ hydro

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah, but was the wife annoyed when he put the door back with those hooks sticking out?

Last edited by a moderator:
funny thing is, I build on an old door, so this would be a great way to pull off the compound curve with ply (thanx ray!), but I dont know what he's hooking to on the decklip

not to mention i get a cool way to hang coffee cups outta the deal

funny thing is, I build on an old door, so this would be a great way to pull off the compound curve with ply (thanx ray!), but I dont know what he's hooking to on the decklip

not to mention i get a cool way to hang coffee cups outta the deal
It was a Zipp T-boat with locking tabs up top. CA'd 1/8 scrap to edge and clamped boat to setup board. Believe it was almost 1/8 ply sheeting, no way tape was holding it down. I'd never build on an old door. OMHO

the door was the Greg Hahn video reference Ray....

having seen that video, I have since set a door on top of my workbench...large and superflat work area

Got more work done, made up the molds for the cowlings and the radio box.

attachicon.gif
molds cowl and radio box.jpg
Phil,

are those plywood boxes used to create the parting plane for your molds? can you show pictures of the mold creation?

Got more work done, made up the molds for the cowlings and the radio box.

attachicon.gif
molds cowl and radio box.jpg
Phil,

are those plywood boxes used to create the parting plane for your molds? can you show pictures of the mold creation?
Well i didnt take pic of the white cowls with the flange that were the patterns.

I used some 3/4 wide white foam board strips ca glued to the bottom of the cowl decks before the last coat of primer and white paint. I have used thin plastic or ply for the mold flange too. Modeling clay used to seal any gaps so the glue wont seep under the seam. Dont really matter what is used as long as it is sturdy enough to lay the epoxy and cloth to make the mold. When I do the hull mold I will take some pic of the process.

thanx Phil

im working on molds for my current build, plugs are about 1/2 done.....workin on the hull has me busy
default_tongue.png

Well I did some work on the hull to prep it for molding. Used grey rustolem auto primer on top and bottom of the hull. This boat was easier to make a flange glued to the top to make the bottom mold first.

I used some white foam board for the flange it stiff enough to hold its shape and cuts to shape easily. I used some CA glue spots to fasten the foam board to the top of the hull keeping the gap as close as possible. Once the flange is finished the bottom and flange is painted with some white spray paint.

There is a small gap between the foam board and hull which is filled with some modeling clay so epoxy wont run between the board and hull, the clay is cleaned up so a nice sharp corner is left.

The hull bottom and flange is waxed up and PVA mold release is brushed on. A good coat of thickened epoxy is used for a surface coat which is left to get tacky before the cloth is laid on the hull, for a mold 4-5 lays of 6 oz cloth is good and stiff.

When the glue is dry the foam board is removed from the deck and the hull is popped out of the mold. The CA glue comes off the primed deck ok and then the top deck is reprimed and painted

The hull is placed back in the bottom mold and the clay is used to seal the gap, waxed and mold release is done ready to make the top mold. A frame is built on the mold halfs so they eit on the table level to work on them.

wow Phil...

thank you for the photos, this is a photo of Peter Wada's parting plane for his molds

very different approach

parting plane.jpg

Here are the finished molds. I made a new epoxyglass hull yesterday It came out nice I have the motormount doublers installed when the part is laid up so now i can start on installing the hardware.

Back