Gas Scale 82U55

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P THOMAS

Supporting Member
Vendor
I have started on the build of the ML Boatworks gas scale kit.

The hull is 51 inches long, 20% bigger than 1/8th scale, the engine well is 6 inches wide.

the frame kit has a real nice fit. I made a flat board to build it on so the sponsons will be straight and the hull flat and square. The tunnel is 14 3/8 wide so my board is that width. Easy to tack the sponsons to the side of the jig to keep them at the correct angle.

I am debating on using 1/16 or 1/8th ply for the bottom. I think the 1/8th would be fine and not add too much weight. 1/16th will work for the decks and sponson sides.

Have all the T boats used 1/8th ply bottoms??

This kit will make several boats that ran the Karlesen hull. Oboy Oberto was the first one in 82 the U55.

I have enlarged the parts for the cowl to 20% bigger and will make a wood one then make a epoxyglass cowl to fit this boat.

Probally will do the bigger rear wing kit too in epoxyglass.

Just got some 24x48 wood from aircraft spruce co so i can get started with gluing the frames to the bottom sheet. I have to cut a bottom the 14 3/8 wide and long enough. There is a break at the #2 bulkhead, first one from the transom and the bottom starts to curve up to the nose at #5. I will score the wood t #2 so it will fit. I will have to use spacers to hold the bottom to the curve at the nose. Epoxy and weights should do the job once I get it all set.

Last edited by a moderator:

The hull is 51 inches long, 20% bigger than 1/8th scale, the engine well is 6 inches wide.

the frame kit has a real nice fit. I made a flat board to build it on so the sponsons will be straight and the hull flat and square. The tunnel is 14 3/8 wide so my board is that width. Easy to tack the sponsons to the side of the jig to keep them at the correct angle.

I am debating on using 1/16 or 1/8th ply for the bottom. I think the 1/8th would be fine and not add too much weight. 1/16th will work for the decks and sponson sides.

This kit will make several boats that ran the Karlesen hull. Oboy Oberto was the first one in 82 the U55.

I have enlarged the parts for the cowl to 20% bigger and will make a wood one then make a epoxyglass cowl to fit this boat.

Just got some 24x48 wood from aircraft spruce co so i can get started with gluing the frames to the bottom sheet. I have to cut a bottom the 14 3/8 wide and long enough. There is a break at the #2 bulkhead, first one from the transom and the bottom starts to curve up to the nose at #5. I will score the wood t #2 so it will fit. I will have to use spacers to hold the bottom to the curve at the nose. Epoxy and weights should do the job once I get it all set.
Phill, that is cool I want one. I would love to see that class take off in district 14.

Phil, nice build. Why not laminate 1/16th ply together to make a bottom long enough, offset the seams. Might be stronger then a break at the bulkhead. Would be nice if the big scales caught on?? B)

Phil, nice build. Why not laminate 1/16th ply together to make a bottom long enough, offset the seams. Might be stronger then a break at the bulkhead. Would be nice if the big scales caught on?? B)
OH there wont be two piceces, there is only a slight bend at #2 so just scoring the sheet on the inside will be good. It may have a belly pan for the motor too. I have wood that is 24x48

OH there wont be two piceces, there is only a slight bend at #2 so just scoring the sheet on the inside will be good. It may have a belly pan for the motor too. I have wood that is 24x48
Spoon makes a nice boat, have to finish what I got. :p Keep the pics coming. B) ==={}

Phil

I built my T boat with a 3/32 ply bottom. Probably could of gone with the 1/16. 1/8 is too much. I have a 6.25 in engine rail width.

Mike

Phil where you buying the plywood from?I like the 24 inch wide plywood.The build looks real nice also.

Hi Phil- Its great to see another "Gas Scale Hydro" being framed up. Are you going to have a glass version of the hull for sale or just sell the cowl to fit the framing kit from ML Boatworks? I know there are folks in the NW that would be interested in the cowl if you decide to produce them. We are getting more and more people interested in the "Gas Scale Hydro" class everyday. My current project is the T-6 Bud and I hope to have it ready in the spring. If you are interested in this new "Gas Scale Hydro" class and are looking for a copy of the master hull roster (for hull dimensions) or a copy of the rules we have developed or just want to see photos of some of our boats visit us at www.PNWTA.org.

Phil, Thanks for taking the time to post this thread. I got the Winston Lobster parts, and they look great. The rear skis worked fine, and so did the wing kit. I will post picks of that in the build thread soon. Mike

Hi guys, I'm also building a gas scale hydro and am very interested in all the info I can take in. Starting with a cowl to fit this thing. Where do you guys buy your hardware...rudder, prop, fuel tank, ....you are using a flex shaft right? If the questions sound stupid it's just because I'm new to boat building.

Phil...is that a RCMK in the third picture? Where's the best place to buy one? And what comes with it? pipe? engine mounts?

Thanks

Norm

Hi guys, I'm also building a gas scale hydro and am very interested in all the info I can take in. Starting with a cowl to fit this thing. Where do you guys buy your hardware...rudder, prop, fuel tank, ....you are using a flex shaft right? If the questions sound stupid it's just because I'm new to boat building.

Phil...is that a RCMK in the third picture? Where's the best place to buy one? And what comes with it? pipe? engine mounts?

Thanks

Norm
You are on your own for cowls depending on what boat you are doing, there are some being devloped out West

1/8th scale plus 20% is the size they use.

http://www.pnwta.org/

RCMK motors and parts He has hardware parts too

http://www.gizmomotors.com

SPEEDMASTER HARDWARE

http://www.rossisales.com/

ACCU TECH HARDWARE

http://www.accu-techrchardware.com//everything.html

Wow! You don't really see how big these are until you set an engine in there. That is a massive boat! Would love to see six of those heat racing. Great build Phil.

Phil, Thanks for taking the time to post this thread. I got the Winston Lobster parts, and they look great. The rear skis worked fine, and so did the wing kit. I will post picks of that in the build thread soon. Mike

phil and mike,

thank you for posting build thread for the gas 8255 kit. glad you're making the cowl. as you said in another post, this thread, cowls for the lager boats are very hard to find.

i'm expecting mike's 1/8 scale lobster kit soon and will attempt to stuff a zenoah gas engine in it. going to be a real challenge trying to avoid butchering that scale cowl. mike's 57 inch gas lobster is way too big for me to deal with. who will be making the cowl for that monster ?

mike, i'm really looking forward to seeing those glass parts phil made for you.

phil, please contact me about those same glass parts for my 1/8 scale lobster build with mike's wood kit.

thank you,

dave weagel

[email protected]

i'm expecting mike's 1/8 scale lobster kit soon and will attempt to stuff a zenoah gas engine in it. going to be a real challenge trying to avoid butchering that scale cowl. mike's 57 inch gas lobster is way too big for me to deal with. who will be making the cowl for that monster ?

thank you,

dave weagel

[email protected]
HA You better get a CMB67 if you want a 1/8th lobster boat MAYBE the RCMK RZ would fit.

pm sent about the parts

Got some more work done, have the bottom on and recieved some drop down mount parts to see how the motor will fit. I will cut a belly pan for the motor to sit in.

here are some more picture on IW gallery

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1116&pos=7

phil,

your gas 8255 hull build looks very good as i expected.

lots of room for that nice RCMK RX engine in that well. i notice the offset engine well, are you going to offset the drive line back to center or straight back to a right of center strut ?

that kit will be a nice gas scale kit especially when your cowl becomes available. the 8255 hull has nice clean outline and the "no rear wings" versions are very practical scale boats as are your 1/8 scale hulls.

lots of great paint schemes for that hull too. good choice for the larger gas scale.

i was very tempted to buy that kit but those 1/6.667 hulls are too big for me to deal with. please keep the build photos coming.

thank you,

dave

Back