Mss K+ hydro

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P THOMAS

Supporting Member
Vendor
Well here is a new project I have had on the shelf for a while.
It is the Miss K + 30 inch hydro. Got the jig built and assembled the front bulkheads and glued the rear bulk heads to the floor sheet. Tacked in the sponson shear and afterplane shear strips. I plan on making this one nitro so I making the engine well 4 inches wide, stock kit is 3.5 inch wide. Iam going to get it running and probally make a mold for a new epoxyglass version. It should be good for FE and nitro racing. My Buddy is supervising the progress. Starting to look like a boat now.

Goeycheese had a .12 round nose that looks similar to that and it ran great. If your runs anything like it, with a .21 it should be a screamer.

I started scratch build over winter from the Garry Finlay plans...looks like there are some changes from the original plan to the kit. The number one thing I see is the former for the outside of the sponsons. I decided to add these to mine, and also used light ply rather than a balsa ply sandwich.

My build is enlarged to 36 inches to make it 1/10 scale and it is pretty much in the same state as yours...since February...

Please post some more pictures as your build progresses. I'd definitely like to see more detailed pics of how the back is built up.

IMG_0076.JPG

Got a bit more work done on the frame. Have the rear trip panels glue on and trimmed. fitting the front sponson sides now. The Mac 21 will be a good fit.

I have raised the deck line 1/4" to allow a 8 oz tank to fit under the deck on the side just behind the motor. Plan on making it a front radio setup.

When can I get my hands on one
default_smile.png

I build I think 3 G Findlay design atlas van lines from wood and converted to nitro,.. they were very nicely done and ran extremely well..

Did some more work on the roundnose, I have the rear cowling from the kit mounted on a base and I made a long hood front cowling.

I will make some epoxyglass parts from the wood cowlings to fit the boat.

looks great Phil...

did you happen to snap any photos showing how to get that deck to lay down on the framing while the glue sets? i'd like to try this someday, but im scared of being stumped by that part of the build

default_tongue.png

looks great Phil...

did you happen to snap any photos showing how to get that deck to lay down on the framing while the glue sets? i'd like to try this someday, but im scared of being stumped by that part of the build

default_tongue.png
I use clamps and weights where I can and lots of tape on the outside edges. The decks have compound curves so it is hard sometime to get it to lay down. I have used half toothpicks as wood nails in 1/16th holes to hold sheets down, just sand off the heads of the picks when done.

looks great Phil...

default_tongue.png
I use clamps and weights where I can and lots of tape on the outside edges. The decks have compound curves so it is hard sometime to get it to lay down. I have used half toothpicks as wood nails in 1/16th holes to hold sheets down, just sand off the heads of the picks when done.
Don calls it Frankinstien, but it work for me.
default_wink.png

looks great Phil...

default_tongue.png
Don calls it Frankinstien, but it work for me.
default_wink.png
WAT?

Ray...what the heck did you do?.....

looks like fun to setup? lol

thanks for the tips Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
Back