Modern Hydro Wing Attachments

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Ross

Looking to see how people are connecting their vertical and horizontal wings together and hold them in place.

What hardware/parts did you use to connect them and lets see some pics!!

105 views and no comments?!

No one has pics of how the installed their wings or how they are attached to your boats??

Jeff, I'll dig up some pix, I'm not sure what's in my gallery but I do have a few build photos. I imbed 1/8" X 3/4" aluminum strip stock into the hull, then build a cuff into the vertical fin and drill/tap then attach with a nylon countersink screw. The horizontal wing is attached with nylon 4-40 bolts into recessed 4-40 brass incerts in the horizontal.

hope this helps

here's a couple, I'll dig up more if needed

gh

DSC_0045 - Copy.JPGDSC_0010 - Copy.JPG

Thanks Greg,

This seams to be a very common method of doing it.

Seen many of the boats here in the PNW with this method.

Anyone else have alternate methods of attachment?

I will post up some pics someone else sent me a bit later with a bit different method.

So when the boat flips and lands on the wings the plastic screws just break and you put new ones in?

Thats the intent of the nylon screws (bolts and nuts).... best to plant the nose if possible and try to avoid blowing off a winged hydro. Seems like there is always some sort of damage regardless of how things are attached.

Nylon screws through metal plates at bottom.....

gallery_128_751_47179.jpg

gallery_128_798_86873.jpg

Yeah thats why I am interested to get some more ideas of what guys are using.

I do not want something that is going to be difficult to fix at the race if it does blow over and break something.

Seams the nylon screws are the easiest to fix onsite.

1 other thing I am wondering on the horizontal wing should it be level with the deck or level with the water when on plane?

1 other thing I am wondering on the horizontal wing should it be level with the deck or level with the water when on plane?
Level with the water when at running attitude.... is ideal, otherwise its drag. Use the strut and prop lift to control the attitude of the hull.

Thank You

I will work on it over the next week and come up with something that will work.

Hey Jeff,

Build two sets complete with paint & graphics and ready to go. Only a matter of time until you'll need them. CHEERS !!! Bob

That is also a great idea to have a backup set ot 2 ready to go.

Appreciate all the help guys!

Check out my build thread and post up some comments along the way!

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason I say make three tail sets is the tails are what will normally take the most damage in the event of a collision with another boat.

Yes my thoughts exactly which is why I will build it the toughest and also make it so that it will break away the easist and cleanest.

..... I will build it the toughest ......

Hey Jeff,

"Toughest" to me means heavy. Keep in mind that they are way back there, and you'll have to compensate for heavy aft with a lot of weight in the front end.

I have only built one hull for a Friend that had "Tail feathers". As I recall, I built three sets. First set I destroyed in a failed rotational maneuver on the corner of my work bench before they were even painted. Normally, Murphy's Law states that if you have a ready spare for any part - said part will never fail or need to be replaced. This Theory does not apply to Tail feathers. More like: "If you mount them, they will be found."

Also - - if you run without a pickup boat, a hull with tail feathers will shear them off in the absolute middle of the pond. The boat will blow ashore fairly quickly in South Florida, the tail feathers will remain in the center of the pond until you leave the site, drive the 60 mile round trip to pick up an inflatable and return to the site. By this time of course, they will no longer be visible, and the hunt will be on. CHEERS !!! Bob

Back