ML Boatworks New Sport 20 Hydroplane for FE or nitro, pics and build thread

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Unless I'm one of the boys that can get anything approved"? Wtf is that suppose to mean? I thought you left RC... Only to come back and call me a cheat? Go elsewhere. Mike

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am going to probably order 10 kits or so tomorrow so I can start putting some orders together. I dred this instruction manual! Its not my thing, lol. Talk soon, mike
Mike, why don't just type a simple step one, step two, type of instructions and then include a CD or a web link for detailed pictures that are keyed to the steps. I think most of the people that are going to build these, have built boats before so they would not need much direction.
BTW I really dig the drop sponson look, I think you have a winner with this boat, keep up the good work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Come on Grim, please don't hope this will turn into drama. This is no longer just a "hobby" for me, these designs keep a roof over my head as day job work around here is non existant. I don't want people turned away due to people bickering. 4 months without asking for more than just one weeks unemployment benefits means a lot to me, and probably all the tax payers out there that don't want to have to pay for me being at the unemployment line...For once it would be nice not to have to defend myself on here.

Rick, thank you for the kind words. I actually have a lot of build pics already complied, and a downloadable word document was my intentions actually so you hit the nail on the head! Just need to get final pics of the sponson build as the design changed mid build from non air relief, to having an air relief.the boat has my typical laser etched numbering/ lettering system like the scale frame kits, so its really self instructed! Mike

Sorry Mike.. my bad.. Just saw the posts above.. am bored and joined in! lol..

Gota admit.. got a tick nasty in there..

Terry did run into a bad situation and it was not his fault. It was mearly a lack of drecion from the IMPBA Sportsmen Hydroplane rules set that caused the confusion.

If ya are going to design around the current IMPBA rules you better be ready for your boat to be questioned.... Lets face it.. what the heck "is" a

modified outrigger anyway?.. Im not sure you can even have a "modifyed outrigger"..lol.. if its an Outrigger and it falls in the forest......wait?

Anway..

Forward!

Grim

That's fine Grim, it was not the question that bothered me, it was the insinuation that I have "connections" to get things legal. I have had quite a bit of discussions with multiple IMPBA directors about this hull, and the IMPBA president has seem it and talked to me about it, and none of them saw anything out of line, heck, they all want one of their own for that matter. I will answer any sensible questions about my products cause I have nothing to hide, but cheap shot Terry saw an opportunity like he always does to throw in a few extra words. If he really wanted to help, he could have pm'ed or addressed the direct issue without slander. Mike

Thats also because frankly, the current rules suck. Too much grey area. But Mike, your doing fine brother, keep at it dude! You do a **** nice job on your kits and builds. Wish i had the cad skill to get it done like you do. ;)

I think there are going to be enough of the ML hydros in Dist. 12 this year to create an ML Hydro class...lol!

That's fine Grim, it was not the question that bothered me, it was the insinuation that I have "connections" to get things legal. I have had quite a bit of discussions with multiple IMPBA directors about this hull, and the IMPBA president has seem it and talked to me about it, and none of them saw anything out of line, heck, they all want one of their own for that matter. I will answer any sensible questions about my products cause I have nothing to hide, but cheap shot Terry saw an opportunity like he always does to throw in a few extra words. If he really wanted to help, he could have pm'ed or addressed the direct issue without slander. Mike
hey bud i was not slandering you..crucifying you..whatever your thoughts are..i was basicly taking a stab at the rules directors and some of the guys that have never had their designs passed through impba rules directions..namely one design a guy in ohio makes that is a fantastic design , and a few others out there..but the point being unless your one of the guys that are friends..both you and i know that that can get you a long way in this world.. i did my homework on my design and yes it was fast..sometimes too loose, but that is part of design process..I am not cheap shoting you so please don't let your attitude toward me for whatever reason it is like that, get in the way of compliments on your work..you build very nice stuff and i admit quality work when i see it.. we used to get along, not sure what happened but i know it didn't come from my end..i was merely making a comment that was not directed at you, sorry you decided to take it that way.. but i will tell you this as i said in my post .. very nice looking boat ..keep it up you do well , and i am not out of the hobby , just taking a break, raising my new son, playing my drums, and racing my sprint car..you are a great builder and when i decide to make a return, well i can tell you i will be buying one of these myself as it is a sweet looking boat. have a nice day mike ..keep up the good work !!

and i will tell you this.. i like the fact your radio box is not hid under the side of the hull making it nearly impossible for guys like me with big digits to install the radio..congrats !! and looks roomy to me inside as well..i hope we can be friends mike and put whatever it is in the past behind us and it all to be good like before..

Terry

The boat is looking great Mike!

Man you should ask a moderator to drag a broom and dust pan through here. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

D.

Mike you have done a great thing for this sport. So keep up the GREAT work... I am a proud owner of ML boat works hull and will be ordering one again soon.

Don McKay

Madison In.

mike.

hull and cowl look great, excellent work on that mold. this hull will be very good in several applications.

thank you

Thanks for the kind words guys. Greg, I appriciate the offer, but I have most of the pics taken, and a friend is going to help me with the instructions!

OK, so I am going to order a bulk amount of sport 20 kits tomorrow, and start laying up cowlings in the new mold. I want to get enough kits to cover most of those that want just a kit, and some to start building. I can't swing much more than that out of pocket until I get some money coming in from these first sales. I have a delivery of boxes also arriving tomorrow. So as soon as the kits arrive, I hope to have all my ducks in a row to turn around the initial order very fast! Talk soon, Mik

Hey Mike,

I would suggest that you do what you do best, and solicite written direction from someone that knows how, as Greg offered for instance.

Doing something you don't enjoy doing is too much like plain old work. Maybe get a rough "Draft" set of instructions together and include them with the first few kits, soliciting inputs from those builders. Let them help in the drafting process, making it a group project. A simple "Thank You Line" in the final draft will be enough for most, if they want more, simply do not use their input. Just a thought.

I always thought that only those models that were being built as production hulls needed a technical approval. I know I've designed and built many hulls over the tears that were never submitted to IMPBA or NAMBA for techical approval, since they were "One Of Design", and could be policed at the District level by involved fellow boaters.

If the current rules don't suit you, you can alway submit a proposal to IMPBA or NAMBA to have the rules modified. Gripping about it on here will do you absolutely NO GOOD at all. Do it the correct way, or live with what someone else has taken the time and effort to develop over the years, and is included in the curent revision to the Rule Book. NAMBA Rule Book with applicable revisions is available on Line. IMPBA I trying hard to get their Rule Book on Line. Rather than simply bitching, why not offer some of your time to get the job done - - It would be appreciated by all of us involved. Thank You. CHEERS !!! Bob

I've always liked the Eliminator. I built and briefly ran this Sport 20 in 2007 inspired by it and currently building the 1/8 scale version. (drawing on table in pic) Going to blow that up to do a gas version also.

DPP_00161024x575.jpg

Kent, I will let you know about the kit soon.

Bob, Thanks for the kind words. The guy that is helping me use run MRP and some other RC companies and wrote all of their instructions. I do indeed plan on getting up some rough info for everyone very soon.

Glenn, Nice looking hull! Looks like you narrowed up some things by the way the center section and sponson drop is done. Very cool!

Mike

12 kits were ordered yesterday, and I have laid up 4 cowlings already. I should have plenty of cowlings by the time the order arrives. I am going to get 9 kits out to kit buyers, and build 3 hulls to start with. As soon as the money comes in for these kit orders, I will reorder some more kits to push the builds and the rest of the kit order along. Here is the current list of all Sport boats people were wanting. Also, I am planning to do a one piece full length cowling that allows for the Nitro guys to have more height, and maybe even incoroporate in a turbine tube type design so the pipes can exit the cowlings instead of having a hole in the transom. I will probably do some profile drawings to get some opinions. Thanks,Mike

Sport 20

1) ron1950

2) Diegoboy

3) Midnightsabatoge

4) sailr

5) MarylandFE

6) Rightturnonly

7) voepel

8) ww29

9) Battlefury-Felix OSE

10) Mike Buck-

11) Roger Mahan