ML Boatworks Lauterbach laser cut kit done. See Post #31 for kit pics!!!! 5-2-13

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Luszcz

Vendor
5-2-13: Frame kit pics starting on post #31!!! Enjoy!

Update: Frame kit is now done! I am ordering the first kit today, 4/17/2013. See attached image in this post, or on the second page where I give more info. Thanks, Mike

Well, I have been talking about wanting to do this kit for quite some time, and finally its getting close. Joe W. asked to see a pic, so I figured I would give a simple screen shot to show the outlines, and some partials on the crossmembers. I have all of the center section designed, and the only thing left to finish are the sponson frames, sponson sheer, and other various little items. The center section has a really trick horse shoe shaped frame that allows the crossmembers from the sponson heel forward to slip on, and should really add a lot of strength to the overall framework. The main function changes to this boat were sponson angle of attach, dihedral angle and a very slight S bend in the bottom center section coupled with a break point just before the sponson heal. Other than that, I left the boat alone from its natural design. My goal with this kit is to have a complete frame kit, with all needed sheeting precut, and right now I am leaning towards offering a glass cowling for the 1/8th scale version. I have had requests for this boat in 1/8th, gas, and 1/10th scales. Right now, I will focus on finishing up this 1/8th scale, then will pursue the gas scale. The 1/10th scale may be further out, unless there is a huge demand for it. As you may notice, this kit is based off of the GP-444 Edelweiss, but was adjusted to fit the master hull roster. The GP Edelweiss from what I could tell is extremely close to the unlimited class hull so it should be a great option to make the Lauterbach special. It does have the center channel and wide transom. After reviewing the Newton plans, I realized I could not use them due to the massive changes that would need to be made. Then I was handed a beautiful set of A-43 Shake rattle and roll plans, only to realize the A class hulls are so different that I could not really even use it to get a proper shape. It was then I decided I would have to go out on a limb and figure this beast up myself. This is truely a one off ML Boatworks Lauterbach, which I am excited about. I have around 60 hours in the design so far, and I suspect another 10-15 will be nessicary. As I have told a lot of guys that asked about me doing this kit, I told them up front that the wait might be long, but the final product would NOT disappoint. I feel this boats history, and the incredible builder and genius designer that Henry Lauterbach was deserved no less as it would be a slap in the face to its incredible history. Can you believe these were/ are built by hand before computers even existed in designwork! I have all the tools I need, and it is, right now, taking 6 times longer to lay this boat out than an average 1/8th scale kit which averages 10-12 hours each! I sent this plan to Dick Loeb, who worked directly under Henry and he felt it "Looks good" as he will tell you if you are on the right path! So maybe this will be a nice replica to what I am starting to feel might be the best design in boating ever thought up! Enjoy the teasers, Mike, www.ml-boatworks.com

edelweiss_gp444_kunz_wheeling_2008.jpg

EdelweissPlan1.jpg

MLBoatworksLauterbach1.jpg

MLBoatworksLauterbach.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
mike,

it's a beauty, nice work. a lot of builders waiting for this one.

thank you

Thanks Dave, its been quite a ride getting this one done. Who would have thought right! Hope you are doing well, Mike

Looks good Mike,

I was lucky enough to build a boat from lofting it to completion with the great Henry Lauterbach!!! The man was one of a kind.

Scott

I didnt know that Scott! You and Dick are extremely lucky to have known him. I cannot imagine what a learning experience that would have been. Hey, u going to the saws? If not, see you at Tricities! Mike

Nice to have another option for building this hull.I sure miss my gas one i built two years ago.Hopefully i will be able to afford to build another gas hull.Keep up the great work!!

Mike,

I'll see you in E-city! The boat I built with Henry was his only cabover and last boat to leave his Suffolk shop. I have lots of cool pics.

Scott

Awesome!

Well, Bob Johnson shared some very good pics of the Unlimited Lauterbach this morning, and it looks like I will be doing a different transom and non trip design for that hull. The GP boat is indeed a good bit different. So there will be two styles available soon! Mike

Awesome!

Well, Bob Johnson shared some very good pics of the Unlimited Lauterbach this morning, and it looks like I will be doing a different transom and non trip design for that hull. The GP boat is indeed a good bit different. So there will be two styles available soon! Mike
I'm tellin ya Buddy,,, Bob will lead you to the "promised land" He know's some (stuff)

Awesome!

I'm tellin ya Buddy,,, Bob will lead you to the "promised land" He know's some (stuff)
I'll second that. RRRick

Awesome!

I'll second that. RRRick
Hey Ray Ray,,, you better get this new boat racin soon,,, I don't want to have to get started on you!!

Launch sequence,, re-entry,,, splash down!!!!! Nope,,, can't go there yet!!!!

After a while off of this kit, I pulled up the drawings again this week, and started back on it. I needed a change up from all the other stuff going on, and the 60 hours of design time in this boat so far has all be rather relaxing and inspiring, so I thought it was time. Did a few PDF shots in 3D of it I thought were cool. Maybe I can get it done some day....

LAUHTERBACH-Model1.pdf

LAUHTERBACH-Model2.pdf

LAUHTERBACH-Model.pdf

Attachments

• LAUHTERBACH-Model1.pdf
    53.9 KB · Views: 215
  • LAUHTERBACH-Model2.pdf
    54.3 KB · Views: 131
  • LAUHTERBACH-Model.pdf
    52.6 KB · Views: 145
John, your boat count will be growing come monday or tuesday. I am almost done! Mike

Mike, Glad you will be offering this as a 1/8 scale kit first.

Bruce, I think I have one of your Blaser Laughterbach builds-Tangerine orange and white.

Scott, Hope to see you run @ Folsom Lake with the full sizer in 2013.

I believe your right it was stripped and repainted have you run this boat??

Haven't had a chance yet Bruce. I made a few small changes to reduce the weight at the transom by a few ounces and adding a cut down Zippkit pulley for a starter belt..If my health and finances hold out I may get to air it out at the 2013 NAMBA Nats in Utah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back