ML Boatworks GP335, GP400 and SX400 Sport Hydroplane (SX400 pics a few pages in!)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rick, Yes, it is going to put an end to the ML boats build era at the present. I am going to finish up all the pre deposited builds, whether its tunnel, or hydro related, and not take on any more new builds. I have a lot of designs, and testing new kits that I have wanted to do for months, and now without the pressure of making ends meet every month, I can do so. I know the Lauterbach special is one of those kits people have been waiting for up to 8 months for the finished design. Maybe now, that can happen. Talk soon, mike

Rick, Yes, it is going to put an end to the ML boats build era at the present. I am going to finish up all the pre deposited builds, whether its tunnel, or hydro related, and not take on any more new builds. I have a lot of designs, and testing new kits that I have wanted to do for months, and now without the pressure of making ends meet every month, I can do so. I know the Lauterbach special is one of those kits people have been waiting for up to 8 months for the finished design. Maybe now, that can happen. Talk soon, mike
You are going to continue to sell the kits, correct?? I sure hope so! I was very please with the way my first "stick" build went together.

Mike;

I hope you will be making kits still. I am still looking at getting a kit from you towards the end of June.

Thanks

Carl

OH yeah, ML Boatworks kits will definitely be offered!!!! I am not saying built boats won't be down the road again, but for the time being, I need to finish up what I have, and get the other new stuff designed. Just have such a backlog! Mike

Thanks for the kind words about my job reinstatement! The kind people like you guys kept me from going inder the last 8 months. For that, i am truely grateful!

While I have been back at my full time job for about 2 weeks now, I have been finding time every night to get something done to the sport hydro build list. I am very close to having all of the hull actually in one piece, and depending on what happens from there, some will be ready to ship this week!

I did make it out to the pond yesterday, a new pond that is full size where I can really stretch the hulls out...finally, after 4 years of running in a puddle! It has become very obvious that all of these hulls REALLY like an X series 2 blade prop. The sport 40, with a 1521 1Y 1577kv on 6s power, ran a stock, cleaned up x455 yesterday, and it ran so clean. I had been running an ABC H7, but wanted to see what the X series would do, and it just got the rear of the boat way up, and the hull stablized, and moved out. I have a 1527 1.5D 1500kv motor on the way right now for that hull, so I can push it even further.

The Sport 20L is fast right now. I would say its a touch faster than the sport 40, but that is only due to the TP Power 4082, 2200kv motor is a great choice for this boat. Its big enough to run cool, but not so big that I had to rearrange anything to get it to fit after pulling out the 1415 castle. (The 1521 1Y in the sport 40, to me, might be a little on the small side for a hull that size. It comes back cool, but the x455 started warming it up some) The more I run the sport 20L, the more impressed I am with the 82 series TP power. It comes back very cool. Right now, the hull has a highly modified ABC H5, but the next time I run, I am going to put on an x445, then x447 and see how it does. Being so pleased with the X series on the Sport 40, I have to get one of the 20L as I think it will let the hull run flatter.

Now that I have a good pond to run in, I hope to get some good videos if I can get my co pilot to stay in town for a weekend. No matter, I am accumulating setup data every time I run the boats, so if anyone has any questions, I can definately guide you in the right direction. Well, its time to get in the garage. I have a lot of time today to work on the builds! Mike

Jesse, I think a 1521 will work great in the GP335 (new name for 20L)

Well, I got to the new pond today, unfortunately a car show was going on, and the car show bunnies would not let me park in my normal spot which allows for normal oval running, so I had to run like you see in the videos of the GP335 and GP400. The water was abnormally calm today. Usually its been really rough, and this lineup of hulls REALLY likes the rough stuff. I will make more videos when the water is worse with some wind to show you they perform even better under pressure! Right now, I am going to say the GP335 is faster than the GP400. I am really thinking about making a 36" GP360 for 6s power as I think the GP400 could be a really great 8s hull. The GP335 is running a TP power 4082 2200kv motor and fightercat 2-8s 240a esc. They are coming back cool, along with the 6600mah 4s 45c hyperion setup. The GP400 is running a 1527 1.5d 1500kv motor and Castle hydra ice 240a lv esc. The temps on them are fine, but I found out today that the 6500mah 6s1p 35c hyperions I am running need to have the ground wire shortened inside the battery shrink. I did not realize the ground wire ran the length of the pack, and it gets hot. The cells were fine, but the wire is stressed from that added length. None the less, both hulls ran really nice today. I am learning that x4 series octura 2 blade props are the way to go on these hulls. The GP335 was running a cut down to 45mm x450, and the GP400 is running an x455. Enjoy, Mike

GP335

[video=youtube;-X0LDI60hK4]

Here is the updated list. As you can see, things are getting finished up with the sport hydro list!

Sport 20

1) MarylandFE- Built, finalizing

3) Mike Buck- Built, finalizing

4) Roger Mahan Built, finalizing

5) Jason BoushardBuilt, finalizing

Sport20L

1) Roger Mahan Built, finalizing

2) GrazacindBuilt, shipping tomorrow

Mike

I am in the process of building your GP310 Sport 20 Hydroplane.

I want to say you have done a beautiful job designing this kit.

All the parts fit perfectly and the online instructions are very good.

I have the Sponsons and tub built up to the point of skinning the tops.

I was wondering if you could lead me to some photos of the turn fin mount

location, Motor mount location.... Is the motor mount location critical to the CG

of the hull....I am going to CNC cut my own mounts....is the length back off the

sponson critical for the turn fin.

Please let me know....

The kit is awesome....Great Job.

Thanks

Joe

Joe, you will quickly learn with all the sizes of this hull, they like the CoG further back than any other sport hydro you have seen. This is due to the bottom design. The CoG doesn't have to be pushed so far forward to keep the bow on the water. In turn, when the boat hits a hard wave, instead of nose diving coming off the way, it lands nice and level! That is a GREAT benefit of having the CoG further back. Right now, I would say start with 1.5" behind sponson heal, but I think you will find 2" will be closer. I will put it this way, my 20L and 40 are both around 2" and I could still go back a touch more to air the hull out some more. I have not blown either ofthe 3 sizes over yet, no matter the condition. They really just don't come off the water! Another thing, I am finding they all like round bottom struts. Unmodified flate bottoms are not a good choice. You can grind down the outside edge of the strut to be rounded on a flat bottom and that will work, that way you get the benefit of both. Here are the pics I have at the moment of the 20. Only thing it doesnt show is skid fin location, but I like to keep it just inside that sponson stringer framework you see when looking at the back of the sponson transom. Here are some pics, hope this helps, Mike

Ps, remember, you can place your motor a touch further back than mine. When I built this hull, I tryed to set it up like a typical sport hydro, only to learn the CoG was not needed so far forward. I am also learning the hulls like X series props. The prop in the pic is an AB H7, which it did work well with tho.

DSCF3245.jpg

DSCF3246.jpg

DSCF3247.jpg

DSCF3248.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike,

I got my hull about a week and a half ago. It arrived safe and sound. The hull looks great!!! I'm starting to lay the hull out. what angle (motor tilt) are you using for the motor mount?

Bert Dygert

Hey Bert, glad it got there safe. Motor angle, well, i am not to sure how to answer that! I try to get the stuffing tube close to how i want it first, then move the motor around to minimize friction. I probably am usually around the same angle with each hull i build, but that could vary 5-10 degrees. I do all electric stuff so i have motor mounts that allow me a lot of adjustment. Sorry that is such a vague answer. Give me a ring if you have any other questions. (252) 717-6282. Thanks, Mike

Jesse J just posted another video on OSE of his 33.5" hull rollin out! Here are some details!

"33.5" kit running 4S2P - 8000 may total

1521 1.5D motor, CC 240 LV, Speedmaster hardware, ABC 1916 prop

COG 3" behind sponson

still working the kinks out..."

60.1mph...3" CoG behind sponson heel..Now that is nuts. He posted this was running in a 17mph cross wind as well!

Thats an excellent running hull . Makes me wonder what the real one would have done with the right powerplant. All jokes aside, being so near the coast Mike are you ever tempted to build a real hydro? I know i think of it alot.Boat building is really gratifying; I tell ya. Its gotta feel good to see your creations run so well. Thats sweet!26.gif

Back