ML Boatworks GP335, GP400 and SX400 Sport Hydroplane (SX400 pics a few pages in!)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Luszcz

Vendor
GP335- 33.5" sport 20L

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X0LDI60hK4

GP400- 39" sport 40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zqOD6KLpoQ

Well, the first of the Sport 20L (33.5" length) arrived late last week, and the Sport 40 (39" length) kits arrived today. As you can see, I have been very busy in the shop! Enjoy, MIke

PS: Yes Mr. Dygert, one of those Sport 40 frames are yours!!!!

DSCF3481.jpg

DSCF3482.jpg

DSCF3483.jpg

DSCF3485.jpg

DSCF3486.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to start eating what ever you have for breakfast. Nice looking work, (and a lot of it).

Mike,

Building a few boats at a time is impressive but building at least (8) hulls in three different sizes at the same time just leaves me speechless. True craftsmanship.

Keep up the great work.

Bert Dygert

Haha,

Grape Nut Flakes, much better than the teeth breaking original Grape Nuts.

Bert, I have a Gas tunnel, Jae 21, 1/8th scale, and PS295 build going on as well...10 other kits are on the way too! You have to remember, this is my only job right now, so I get 7 days a week to work. That might be changing soon tho, which is why I am making a push to get the order list down! Mike

Yes Sir! It may sit for a week or two, but when you need it, you need it!!!
Glad you are able to put it to good use plus it freed up some extremely valuable floor space for my new bandsaw and the rolling stand for that rockin' slab of granite you brought up for me. :D

As you can see, plenty of room for a 1521 and 6s1p 5000mah 45c, or 6s1p 6500mah 35c packs(not shown):

DSCF3516.jpg

DSCF3517.jpg

DSCF3518.jpg

What is the going price of the Sport 40FE kit?

I checked the site and can not find a price.

Hey, sorry for not getting back to your PM yet. Been a long day! The sport 40 kit is $190 shipped in the continental usa. It includes all the frames, sheeting, basswood sticks and fiberglass cowling. If you have any questions or interest please shoot me another PM. Thanks, Mike

Getting things done now! All the center sections are built, and sponsons are about 60%. As you can see the first 20L and 40 hulls are being finished up on the assembly line so I can get them in the water to do some testing. Enjoy, Mike

DSCF3531.jpg

DSCF3532.jpg

DSCF3533.jpg

DSCF3534.jpg

DSCF3535.jpg

OK, Just got back after running two heats with the 20L. Wind was 5-10mph, wave action was 2-3"....Quite simple, its faster than I expected, turns amazing at full throttle, and the initial runs were so impressive, I am considering taking the 20L and the 40 Q hulls to the SAW races in two weeks. The 20L, with zero tuning is already in the 65mph range, NO lead up front (had 3 ounces up front, and removed it as it just was not needed), and had 1-2 degrees positive in the strut. The center of gravity was about 2" behind the sponson heal, and the boat never once tried to blow off into the wind, or get that loose for that matter, and the setup I have right now should cause it to get very loose, but the hull just doesn't. It wants to go faster, and it seems the faster it goes, the more locked on it becomes. With some more tuning, cutting down the rudder about 1/2", I expect to have this boat in heat trim doing around 70mph. Not sure the Castle 1415 2400kv can take it tho, more testing will tell. Right now, all I can say is I cannot wait to get the sport 40 hull rigged, but I have got to get some of the backlog of sport hulls finished up this week if possible. Below are some pics of the 20L and 40 in their new paint schemes. The 20L uses the castle 1415 2400kv motor with 5mm motor shaft upgrade, hydra 240lv, cap bank, (2) 3300mah Hyperion 45c 4s packs (4s2p), speedmaster standard flat bottom hydro 3/16" strut, mini speedmaster rudder, and Virginia Craftsman sport 20 turn fin. BTW, as you see in the pics, I am now calling my sport hydroplane line the GP series. The sport 20 is the GP310, the sport 20L is the GP335, and the sport 40 is the GP400. I knew I would figure out a name sooner or later! As soon as some videos are able to be made, they will be. Hang tight! Mike

IMGP3346.jpg

IMGP3350.jpg

IMGP3355.jpg

IMGP3357.jpg

Thanks Bert, Everyones Sport hulls are getting very close to being finished. Only sponson top decks, bonding the parts, and exterior epoxy are really left to do. Talk soon, Mike

Hey Ron, they should be fine, especially with the speeds i am pushing them in FE form. The hulls are so new that not many have finished their builds yet, so no feedback has been given yet. I do know from what i have seen with FE power that things will never be the same again! The hull is just so much more than i even dreamed it would be. For the first time i am putting in a stronger motor as the hull is just asking for more speed. Whats better is it takes that speed and pulls threw the turns with ease. You just hold the throttle down and come on around. As soon as possible, some videos will be made. Thanks, Mike

Got the sport 40 in the water...FINALLY this evening...Wow, the bigger these sport hydro hulls get, the more fun they are. Just like its little brothers, this thing breezes over rough chop. It was blowing 15-20, with 4" chop, and the boat just runs right threw it. I hope to get the current orders of sport hulls done in the next week. Started a new job Wednesday and was out of two for 4 days last weekend, so build time have definitely been a lot less. Gonna work hard this weekend to get them close! Mike

Got the sport 40 in the water...FINALLY this evening...Wow, the bigger these sport hydro hulls get, the more fun they are. Just like its little brothers, this thing breezes over rough chop. It was blowing 15-20, with 4" chop, and the boat just runs right threw it. I hope to get the current orders of sport hulls done in the next week. Started a new job Wednesday and was out of two for 4 days last weekend, so build time have definitely been a lot less. Gonna work hard this weekend to get them close! Mike
Mike, I'm glad to hear a new job has come your way,,, that is great news.

Not so good news for those who don't want to, or have the time to build,,,

Back