Miller American re-build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Knapp

This is my 1st thread here. I've been trolling around for a bit but now I need your input. I'm rebuilding a Miller American. I got it dirt cheap but its in bad shape. I'm on a serious budget so any input you guys give please take that into consideration. Here is what I'm working with.

DSC04114.jpg

DSC04115.jpg

DSC04119.jpg

I also was thinking of ditching the wing. It didnt come with a cowl so I think Im going to fit my Miss Circus Circus cowl to it.

DSC04121.jpg

DSC04122.jpg

Also, does this drive shaft play an issue or should it be converted to a flex shaft.
DSC04118.jpg

Here is the reason for the wing delete. It seems to be a breaking point on a flip over...
DSC04128.jpg
DSC04127.jpg

My first thought is pull the deck and see what it looks like inside. With the deck separated at the transom, I would be very worried about the inside being partially rotted.

Hydro J., if he pulls the deck, he might have more work than the boat is worth - don't you think? I think the boat is salvagable, and since the outside looks like it has a copius amount of epoxy resin -don't you think the builder took enough time to coat the inside as well? :huh: My only concern with this hull would be the Transom and the deck. This could be fixed by scraping the seam very good with an exacto - then sand as good as he can between the joints/epoxy shut and expoxy resin. Heck, the whole boat could look spanking-new if he took some 120 sand-paper to scrape-off the scum - follwed by some 220 - 500 grit. It will probably still leave a layer of expoxy that's still on the hull. Yes Kevin, lose the Wing if you want. It'll probably crack again in the future. Go with the Miss Circus Circus Cowl - it looks nice.. Actually, if you check out one of Miss Hydro's threads - she has a hull with Half wings - looks cool. I may try it with mine. If the Shaft is solid, stick with it - but replace the Bearings in the tubes if it has them - new shaft - maybe. Looks like alot of grease or dirty looking stuff in the radio box area. Take a small torch and heat the sides where the epoxy is - should scrap-out with a scraper. Then re-seal. With a little elbow grease - you could get this hull looking like brand new. It has potential. :)

What I have learned over time is never take anything for granted. I would pull the deck in this case so there is no question as to what he is dealing with AND it would eliminate having to figure out how to fill the mounting slots in the deck for the tails. Just take a piece of tracing paper and use it to trace the deck outline, transfer to a new piece of 1/16 ply, cut it oversized and install. If under the deck is in good shape, it won't take more than a day or two and the cost would be two pieces of ply and the epoxy to glue the decks down and seal the underside. I call it cheap insurance over loosing an engine and the radio gear when a possibly rotten hull folds up out on the lake

So how would I go about removing the deck without messing up the support inside? I have never done anything like that. Im not to worried about the task, just want to do it right.

So how would I go about removing the deck without messing up the support inside? I have never done anything like that. Im not to worried about the task, just want to do it right.
Kevin, I'm gonna let Hydro J. speak-up on this one. I know how I'd remove it, but maybe he has a better method. Make sure you have the outside traced on tracing paper first and then you can transfer it to wood(Oversized it slightly for sanding back to shape of boat). I would start in the transom. Locate bulk-heads via the middle of the hull's radio box sides. Mark them on the outside-top of deck with pencil. Slowly pry-up deck from transom on one side will applying small heat torch to the seam where it is glued. Not too much heat to burn, but melt the expoxy. Work around boat and it'll come up. You have to do repairs inside of hull and sand surface of the deck supports again. Seal inside and glue deck back on to hull (With overlays on the outside.. These will have to be sanded smooth flush with the sides of the hull. :) I know Hydro J. will pipe-in, so let's see what he has to say about it.

Joe is should picking up a areomarine version shortly.. comes with two versions of cowl.. the one is like yours and other is the stelth jetfighter cockpit canapie or as some call it the alien..if you interested in one let me know..

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe is should picking up a areomarine version shortly.. comes with two versions of cowl.. the one is like yours and other is the stelth jetfighter cockpit canapie or as some call it the alien..if you interested in one let me know..
"Space boat?" .... Star Wars?"

Hello everybody .

Kevin K.,this is a reply from Australia . I did a post recently in the Scale boats section about Canards that was written up in the now defunct Radio Control Boat Modeller on a boat that was to be a 1985 ? Miller American that was referred to as a Star Wars boat. I believe from the pictures that you have shown , the radio box is positioned too far back and you should try to get it up in the nose . As to the recommendation about removing the deck , I have a different method that may work if thats what you decide to do . Go to a shop that sells the Gold Plated ? wire that people that people use to remove windscreens from cars that are bonded in . You will also need 2 handles that the wire goes through and tied off to grip each end . Not all my ideas work , but this has possibilities - give it a whirl .

Regards

Ian Baas

Tall Fella Racing

Australia :)

That hull has still got a chance you just need to take your time with it.Thats not the right cowl for this year miller though.

Last edited:
Misshydro, what would one of those set me back and would it be a better fit?

Everyone, thanks for the inputs! I want to take my time and do this one right. I was also thinking of ways to get the deck off...Along with the heating method what do you think about heating up an exacto knife or razor blade and cutting with that?

I would be out trying it right now but its my wifes and mine anniversary so I told her no boat stuff for today..lol

Hugh, I know the cowl is from the Miss Circus Circus that is far worse than this boat. The Miller didn't come with a cowl.

Tall Fella, Would the fuel tank go in the middle then? that seems like a pretty extensive mod though...

Misshydro, what would one of those set me back and would it be a better fit?

Everyone, thanks for the inputs! I want to take my time and do this one right. I was also thinking of ways to get the deck off...Along with the heating method what do you think about heating up an exacto knife or razor blade and cutting with that?

I would be out trying it right now but its my wifes and mine anniversary so I told her no boat stuff for today..lol

Hugh, I know the cowl is from the Miss Circus Circus that is far worse than this boat. The Miller didn't come with a cowl.

Tall Fella, Would the fuel tank go in the middle then? that seems like a pretty extensive mod though...
give me aday or so.. joe hoping to get it this weekend.

Just for the sake of accuracy the Star Wars Miller was 1987 and was MHR 8700. This boat Kevin is rebuilding is the 8401. A lot of similarities but some notable differences besides the cockpit. I agree about removing the decks. Ted has the right idea. Since the decks have been compromised at the transom there is now way to tell how much water got in the rest of the boat. A torch and a stiff putty knife and a chisel with some patience is required here.

Hello everybody .

Kevin K ., I suggest that you take a look at the website of Steve Gualteri - RC Boat Company who makes a variety of 1 / 8 Scale Boat hulls and Cowlings . In the description of each boat it's usually mentioned about compartments under the deck near the motor for fuel tanks . He may also have premade radio boxes . So have a look around and see how other boats are done . In the past , Steve has been registered on International Waters - just not sure what his member name is . Hopefully this helps with your enquiries .

Regards

Ian Baas

Tall Fella Racing

Hello everybody .

Kevin K.,this is a reply from Australia . I did a post recently in the Scale boats section about Canards that was written up in the now defunct Radio Control Boat Modeller on a boat that was to be a 1985 ? Miller American that was referred to as a Star Wars boat. I believe from the pictures that you have shown , the radio box is positioned too far back and you should try to get it up in the nose . As to the recommendation about removing the deck , I have a different method that may work if thats what you decide to do . Go to a shop that sells the Gold Plated ? wire that people that people use to remove windscreens from cars that are bonded in . You will also need 2 handles that the wire goes through and tied off to grip each end . Not all my ideas work , but this has possibilities - give it a whirl .

Regards

Ian Baas

Tall Fella Racing

i think its a dumas hull ian, if so it is in the designated spot in the boat as it has pockets that go to the outer hull within the box. :)

Back