I WANT TO DO A RACE... A BIG RACE...

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im sure the ATL race was a lot of boats but not in one class plus Im interested in quality not quantity. Even if we only had a 150 Boats thats be 150 drivers and 150 people to compete against in the one class. The winners such a vast fleet of competitors is worthy to be called the Champion of Champions the Driver of Drivers and the Team of Teams. Itd be great to have a high boat count but even 40 would be enough to be entertaining although I do like the sound of a 200 Boat class a lot better.

So the challenge of climbing to the top of the heap of the largest and most competitive event ever is not intriguing enough? Id be there in a heart beat.

Once again, the reason Im choosing Cali is because Im in Cali therefore allowing me to manage the logistics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roger some of the best racing formats came out of Indy via Marty Davis and company. First the Indy Unlimited and then the Indy Masters . Both has its own merits and attracted the best of the best. Just my thoughts for what its worth.

Thanks John

Im sure the ATL race was a lot of boats but not in one class plus Im interested in quality not quantity. Even if we only had a 150 Boats thats be 150 drivers and 150 people to compete against in the one class. The winners such a vast fleet of competitors is worthy to be called the Champion of Champions the Driver of Drivers and the Team of Teams. Itd be great to have a high boat count but even 40 would be enough to be entertaining although I do like the sound of a 200 Boat class a lot better.

So the challenge of climbing to the top of the heap of the largest and most competitive event ever is not intriguing enough? Id be there in a heart beat.

Once again, the reason Im choosing Cali is because Im in Cali therefore allowing me to manage the logistics.

Roger some of the best racing formats came out of Indy via Marty Davis and company. First the Indy Unlimited and then the Indy Masters . Both has its own merits and attracted the best of the best. Just my thoughts for what its worth.Thanks John
Im referring to the original Indy Masters where you qualified on time etc.Thanks John

Twins and Thunderboats. The twins capture the folks with the noise and high speed. The gas Thunderboats capture the folks with their realistic looks and close racing.

Bill

Twins and Thunderboats. The twins capture the folks with the noise and high speed. The gas Thunderboats capture the folks with their realistic looks and close racing.

Bill
Naw. Just one class.

If spectator appeal is the goal then Twins and gas Thunderboats would be perfect.

Run the heats alternating the two classes. It will show a contrast that will be very pleasing and advert possible

boredom for the spectators. A balanced combination of SHOW and GO!

And speaking of INDY UNLIMITED. Back in the day, they had a Prize table that would amount to $20,000 in today's money.

I walked away with THREE Engines one year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fans want to see close racing. Think neck and neck like the horse races, NASCAR or most top fuel drag races, not half a lap wins in a three boat field like the Unlimited Hydros (H1).

Twins are exciting to watch for boat guys, but rarely have consistently close races. And the boats dont look like anything. Its difficult to have a theme on a rigger. Fans want a boat to root for. That white one doesnt draw any crowd favorites.

Imagine a field of Gas Stock Monos all coming into turn one with a wall of cascading rooster tails. 40+inch long boats going 50+mph will still get a crowd going. Be sure to include a concourse event before the races to encourage racers to go all out with their paint schemes. The deep vs will be recognizable to the average spectator and theres lots of real estate on the boats to give them a theme or a detailed cockpit.

The location is Vegas. Duh. Even if we cant race in front ot the belagio, there are other high traffic bodies of water we can get to. Vegas is easy to get to and relatively inexpensive to fly into for people coming from across the country.

I dont see anything wrong with putting up a purse if you have professional contest directiors and paid referees who are trained and quizzed on the rule book. And if the definition of pro is an issue, lets talk to Al Hobbs to see what we can do. For an event of this magnitude, there outta be some type of exhibition exemption allowed.

Why not scale instead of thunderboat. Although I hold the NAMBA Thunderboat 2 lap record I’m not the biggest fan of the class and think for show Scales are a better display of that. Plus now we’re into more than one class. Prefer to stick to just one. Maybe to encourage nice looking boats also add up to another 50 points for the People’s Choice winner that the public votes for.

Fans want to see close racing. Think neck and neck like the horse races, NASCAR or most top fuel drag races, not half a lap wins in a three boat field like the Unlimited Hydros (H1).

Twins are exciting to watch for boat guys, but rarely have consistently close races. And the boats dont look like anything. Its difficult to have a theme on a rigger. Fans want a boat to root for. That white one doesnt draw any crowd favorites.

Imagine a field of Gas Stock Monos all coming into turn one with a wall of cascading rooster tails. 40+inch long boats going 50+mph will still get a crowd going. Be sure to include a concourse event before the races to encourage racers to go all out with their paint schemes. The deep vs will be recognizable to the average spectator and theres lots of real estate on the boats to give them a theme or a detailed cockpit.

The location is Vegas. Duh. Even if we cant race in front ot the belagio, there are other high traffic bodies of water we can get to. Vegas is easy to get to and relatively inexpensive to fly into for people coming from across the country.

I dont see anything wrong with putting up a purse if you have professional contest directiors and paid referees who are trained and quizzed on the rule book. And if the definition of pro is an issue, lets talk to Al Hobbs to see what we can do. For an event of this magnitude, there outta be some type of exhibition exemption allowed.

Fans want to see close racing. This is true and the goal that’s the reason for the one boat focus and the top 6 boats compete on Sunday. The goal is to get 6 top boats and drivers that drive and finish in tight quarter racing. So if you are a guy that get complimented that someone can race tight with you because you can hold your lane you are probably one that will make it to the top six.

Open Gas - Open Nitro and Open Electric -

Let the best rise to the top in all 3 power sources and split the coin 3 ways to each class winner..

No one cries about being left out or what type RC Boat should be represented and the spectators see a little of everything........
default_rolleyes.gif

Seems your pretty stuck on a west coast race - shame really as plenty of venues could fill the bill- want to go BIG - get Lake Llyod at Daytona During Speed Weeks - its do-able but a lot of hoops to jump through. The challenge with what you propose is

1/location

2/one class

3/spectators .

Good Luck - Maybe a Disney pond would be best served, vacation type location ,so families can travel and make it a vacation. Outside spectators already in your hands ect.

Just went to a a Dragon boat rowing competition. They turned this event into a cultural festival but get this. There was no announcer for the event so the only people really watching the racing were the people participating in the racing or that knew people participating in the event. Everyone else was enjoying the food, visiting the vendors playing with their kids in the kids land and watching the entertainment at the sound stage. They had schools, local organizations, sponsors and of course seasoned organized rowing teams competing. I was imagining how much more the crowd would have been engaged if they would have had an energetic announcer like we often do.

But it did give me some ideas on getting crowds and getting them more involved.

Like someone wrote earlier people need someone to cheer for like nice paint jobs, personable drivers and favorite race teams.

Why not do away with the heat racing format as we typically run and come up with a endurance type format? More on the lines of auto racing where you run say 100 laps per race and 200 in the main? People would be forced into building boats that would run long periods and hold lots of fuel or pit often.

Why not do away with the heat racing format as we typically run and come up with a endurance type format? More on the lines of auto racing where you run say 100 laps per race and 200 in the main? People would be forced into building boats that would run long periods and hold lots of fuel or pit often.
i found that racing seemed to fit well with spectators. You can see a start and conclusion all in a few minutes. Plus not sure how many people would want to build a boat especially for this race in it first year.

Ya got to get our attention with a $25,000 purse. All of the Fanfare and Hoopla ain't gonna do it! :)

Oh! But wait... You just invited me to come race at a nitro race in January.

So why am I coming again? You made no mention of a $25k purse that I recall... and that's 2300 miles away.

I believe all the words you used to peak my interest were "fast nitro boats." so I assumed it would be competition

worth my time, money and travel.
Ah yes, I did not mention that they will WRITE YOU a CHECK with the name of your favorite Hobby Supplier on it, if you win, (Fact)

because I know that kind motivation is not needed for you to come out.

A handful of guys from Europe and the Southern Hemisphere will be there for the fun and competition.

But you are talking about motivating 150 teams to bring Twins. 90% of them will have to travel a long distance.

That will be everybody who has ever raced a Twin in the last 20 years.

3/4 million worth of boats and 1/4 million in travel expenses.
okay so maybe 50’teams then. : )

There are 24 Nitro Twins and 4 Gas Twins signed up for the Fall nats.

The IMPBA Internats had about 20 Nitro Twins and most where a different group than what will be at Fall nats.

There is 50 Eastern boats right there.

Have you got 50 Twins in the West that we can race against?

Since one group will have to travel 2000 to 3000 miles, maybe it should be a Two race series. One race West, one race East

and spaced 12 months apart.
I had not decided for sure it would be Twins could be Big Block Nitro Riggers, Gas Sports and Riggers and Big Electric. I really don't want it to be a Nitro, Gas or Electric Race. I want it to be a "If-Got-The-Balls-Then-Bring-What-You-Got and Race it" type of Boat Race. Ive seen Gas, Nitro and Big Electrics race in the mid 60 second range so I think everyone would be competitive. Twins sound great and all but now that you mention it the draw may be too small from too small of an area. I am open to having in anywhere but I chose Northern Cali since that is where I am I can manage logistics better than if I had across country. But there are other goals in addition to putting on a great race for the racers. I also want to create a production that can attract, host and entertain spectators. I did it once. I think the boat county was just shy of 600. The spectator count was 20,000 over the course of a week.. Weekend count was 10,000 patrons.
Roger,

I think you must be getting as old as me...to think you can draw 20,000 spectators to get out in the hot sun to watch anything....?

This is 2018 my man! I am disappointed in you. Even NASCAR is smarter than that. The story is, they are not filling the grand stands anymore.

So they must be loosing fans and money, right? Wrong. They are making more money online. Fans are watching from their electronic devices.

So grab a camera man and get out there and start producing videos. Lots of them!... of anything R/C that you can find and post it to youtube

very regularly and consistently. Toss in some boating footage as often as possible of the Big Fast boats. Toss in a pretty girl here and there too.

Gotta draw the guys that do not know what an R/C boat is.

Before you know it you will have 250,000 subscribers and your local races will pull in 150 Twin nitros every month. :)
Very good point, Andy... electronic media has changed things a lot. Haven't been to a NASCAR event in some time, but only imagine the

dent ticket and concession prices would put in the bank account, or credit card, of say a family of four.

Today, you can turn on the TV, subscribe to something, or view from an electronic device, plus, run into the kitchen and hit the cupboard

and refrigerator for snacks- for a heck of a lot less. Television coverage has gotten so good that the event can be observed from a multitude

of perspectives, too.

Thanks.

Bill
Naw. Just one class.

If spectator appeal is the goal then Twins and gas Thunderboats would be perfect.

Run the heats alternating the two classes. It will show a contrast that will be very pleasing and advert possible

boredom for the spectators. A balanced combination of SHOW and GO!

And speaking of INDY UNLIMITED. Back in the day, they had a Prize table that would amount to $20,000 in today's money.

I walked away with THREE Engines one year.
+1

A-Stock Outboard
default_biggrin.png
Yes! Stock Outboard,easy tuning & driving makes for some great racing,its a easy way to get into the hobby without breaking the bank. I once had a .21 tunnel hull series in St Louis for two years,had a lot of racers...best close racing ever for club racing,every body had to use club fuel at 15% nitro. Let's see who the real drivers are....

You can count on two things at a race... Wind and A Stock OPCs upside down because of it, which does not please a crowd. Provide a good mix of Gas and Nitro classes to attract the most racers. Hand out gift cards instead of cash which is allowed and has been going on for years now in certain districts.

Roger this could be awesome. I know Carlo from CC Racing was trying to put something together like this a few years back, maybe hit him up.

You can count on two things at a race... Wind and A Stock OPCs upside down because of it, which does not please a crowd. Provide a good mix of Gas and Nitro classes to attract the most racers. Hand out gift cards instead of cash which is allowed and has been going on for years now in certain districts.

Roger this could be awesome. I know Carlo from CC Racing was trying to put something together like this a few years back, maybe hit him up.
Wind Ha,that's equal for everybody,you got 50/50 on a crowd,they ether like it or they don't. Cannot please everybody..................... Now I want to focus on a single weekend event. Lots of racing, lots of competition and lots of fun. Here's the catch. It's only 1 Class. Yep! Just one class.

DUUUDDDEEE... Don't be a hater. Come to where the real racing is. No special 150.00 props, no bent rods and destroyed cranks every time you roll over and its all driver.
default_rolleyes.gif
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

Your Sport was on rails last race. Very impressive for sure.

Back