Madison Bud T4 Build, and mold construction

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicholashansen

after way too long a period of time with next to no activity on any forums, and virtually the same as far as progress on my boats, im happy to hop back on the bandwagon and get crankin, and hopefully have at least something decent to show for by the end of summer!

Now I may be wrong with this, but I get this feeling that perhaps this particular boat has been done several times and its associated topics that usually follow it have been discussed to death, but ive been obsessed with this boat for some time now and I just cant resist starting my own jab at building one and getting the real lowdown on it overall. Also, one thing thats always bugged me a little bit, is the common configurations I see the T4 in among builds, and as a result of these, I have a few characteristics that im very keen on properly producing with this rendition.

So this will be my first real experience working with wood, aside from minor components and pieces ive made (so im basically a total noob to say the least! xD), however, im not going a more traditional route somewhat. To start, ZenMaster Mike Luszcz provided me with the laser cut Newton 164 kit. Ive constructed most of the sponsons with the intent of using them as plugs for molds. However, this will be my first of such and it will be very minimalistic and just enough for me to produce 1 viable piece solely for this build. I dont mind having a slightly subpar plug as I intend to just take care of the imperfections/defects/etc. on the actual casted piece. I may not even create a top half deck piece, as in I might just skin the glass sponsons with ply. So that being said, ive modified the running surfaces and I dont intend to add the rear shoes until I have the glass made sponsons. In the end, Ill probably use anywhere between 50-75% of the laser cut kit. I still will construct the center section from wood mostly, but I know for sure I want to somehow cut alot of weight if possible as the T4 kit is very heavy overall and comprises alot of material. Ill most likely use the included bottom floor pan sheet, and maybe the tub walls. Then for the ram wings, ill probably either shape some high density foam or balsa and glass over them, or perhaps ill use the lost-foam method for many facets of the center section.

Now ive noticed that for every T4 build ive been able to come across, the sponsons have been very pointed either in a corner-like fashion, or a triangle-fashion, and also the tiplets are always installed at the rear. Additionally, I also sometimes see the rear horizontal wing missing, and front canards installed (these two particularly puzzle me). Personally, I have always disliked the aesthetics of the pointy sponsons and the rear tiplets, in addition to the one time it raced at Madison, these features were completely nonexistent, much to my delight
default_smile.png

ive attached a few pics of the boat setup like how I want, a few at Madison and a few here in Seattle I believe!

Id really appreciate all sorts of information anyone can submit here, ranging from pretty much anything regarding the T4s history, performance (both as a scale and the real boat, as ive always wondering why it never ran after Madison, it seemed to perform well aside from the wing troubles??), etc. and any useful information obviously to apply towards plug and mold making, overall building, etc. I could really use stuff like this!
default_smile.png

Ive basically grabbed the bare essentials from a local Tap Plastics store, and in addition to the typical building supplies I already have, I plan to make the molds based off methods I read off of CSTsales.com, using West systems mainly. I bought some preval sprayers, PVA liquid release, partall paste #2, some modeling clay, black resin pigment, a couple small mat rollers, and a range of different fabrics starting with .75oz veil.

Ive done a single coat of epoxy on each sponson so far, im going to block sand it with 180 and then ill use Evercoat to fill in imperfections and lips, etc. then block sand some more, add another coat of epoxy, block sand, and then hopefully itll be ready to be mounted and primered before I start molding off it.

thanks for reading!

fww.png

post-1989-0-32468200-1434708972.jpg

post-1989-0-83496800-1434708941.jpg

scan0001  bud T-4.jpg

Untitled.png

20160808_064430.jpg

20160808_064444.jpg

20160808_064510.jpg

20160808_222956.jpg

liuere.jpg

Okay, let me help you out a bit on locations of the on the water shots:

1) Seattle, as the I-90 floating bridge is in the background

2) Madison, looking toward the Kentucky side of the Ohio River

3) Madison again, with the Milton-Madison Bridge in the background

4) Unknown location since there are no identifying landmarks

5) Seattle, looking across the race course at the log boom moored boats and Mercer Island

IIRC, the only reason it was used in Madison was due to the fact the other boat(s) was/were unavailable due to damage. You have to remember, Mark Evans was driving so it has me wondering if that was when Chip Hanauer was injured in a prior boat damaging crash. As far as how the boat performed, it did win but, unfortunately, both horizontal stabilizers were destroyed by water coming up through the hull. Since the boat only ran without the stabilizer in the final heat due to the lack of another one to install, this would, in some clubs, require the stabilizer to be used to make the boat legal to race in scale competition

Last edited by a moderator:
after way too long a period of time with next to no activity on any forums, and virtually the same as far as progress on my boats, im happy to hop back on the bandwagon and get crankin, and hopefully have at least something decent to show for by the end of summer!

Now I may be wrong with this, but I get this feeling that perhaps this particular boat has been done several times and its associated topics that usually follow it have been discussed to death, but ive been obsessed with this boat for some time now and I just cant resist starting my own jab at building one and getting the real lowdown on it overall. Also, one thing thats always bugged me a little bit, is the common configurations I see the T4 in among builds, and as a result of these, I have a few characteristics that im very keen on properly producing with this rendition.

So this will be my first real experience working with wood, aside from minor components and pieces ive made (so im basically a total noob to say the least! xD), however, im not going a more traditional route somewhat. To start, ZenMaster Mike Luszcz provided me with the laser cut Newton 164 kit. Ive constructed most of the sponsons with the intent of using them as plugs for molds. However, this will be my first of such and it will be very minimalistic and just enough for me to produce 1 viable piece solely for this build. I dont mind having a slightly subpar plug as I intend to just take care of the imperfections/defects/etc. on the actual casted piece. I may not even create a top half deck piece, as in I might just skin the glass sponsons with ply. So that being said, ive modified the running surfaces and I dont intend to add the rear shoes until I have the glass made sponsons. In the end, Ill probably use anywhere between 50-75% of the laser cut kit. I still will construct the center section from wood mostly, but I know for sure I want to somehow cut alot of weight if possible as the T4 kit is very heavy overall and comprises alot of material. Ill most likely use the included bottom floor pan sheet, and maybe the tub walls. Then for the ram wings, ill probably either shape some high density foam or balsa and glass over them, or perhaps ill use the lost-foam method for many facets of the center section.

Now ive noticed that for every T4 build ive been able to come across, the sponsons have been very pointed either in a corner-like fashion, or a triangle-fashion, and also the tiplets are always installed at the rear. Additionally, I also sometimes see the rear horizontal wing missing, and front canards installed (these two particularly puzzle me). Personally, I have always disliked the aesthetics of the pointy sponsons and the rear tiplets, in addition to the one time it raced at Madison, these features were completely nonexistent, much to my delight
default_smile.png

ive attached a few pics of the boat setup like how I want, a few at Madison and a few here in Seattle I believe!

Id really appreciate all sorts of information anyone can submit here, ranging from pretty much anything regarding the T4s history, performance (both as a scale and the real boat, as ive always wondering why it never ran after Madison, it seemed to perform well aside from the wing troubles??), etc. and any useful information obviously to apply towards plug and mold making, overall building, etc. I could really use stuff like this!
default_smile.png

Ive basically grabbed the bare essentials from a local Tap Plastics store, and in addition to the typical building supplies I already have, I plan to make the molds based off methods I read off of CSTsales.com, using West systems mainly. I bought some preval sprayers, PVA liquid release, partall paste #2, some modeling clay, black resin pigment, a couple small mat rollers, and a range of different fabrics starting with .75oz veil.

Ive done a single coat of epoxy on each sponson so far, im going to block sand it with 180 and then ill use Evercoat to fill in imperfections and lips, etc. then block sand some more, add another coat of epoxy, block sand, and then hopefully itll be ready to be mounted and primered before I start molding off it.

thanks for reading!

View attachment 79982

View attachment 79983

View attachment 79984

View attachment 79985

View attachment 79986

View attachment 79987

View attachment 79988

View attachment 79989

View attachment 79990

View attachment 79991
One way to find out would be to talk to Dave Villwock. He drove the T4 (I believe) and would know when the sponsons and shoes (those rear things) changed. Dave is on Facebook and is very likely to respond to your questions on the hull configuration.

Phil

Actually, Dave didn't drive the T-4. Mark Evans drove it at the Madison Regatta and Chip Hanauer tested it. What was found is that the horizontal stabilizer was susceptible to damage from water coming up through the "blow holes". Dave drove the T-5 and T-6 from when he started driving for Bernie Little until he was hired to drive the Elam Plus in 2005, after Joe Little shut down Team Budweiser.

Actually, Dave didn't drive the T-4. Mark Evans drove it at the Madison Regatta and Chip Hanauer tested it. What was found is that the horizontal stabilizer was susceptible to damage from water coming up through the "blow holes". Dave drove the T-5 and T-6 from when he started driving for Bernie Little until he was hired to drive the Elam Plus in 2005, after Joe Little shut down Team Budweiser.
Chip HATED the T-4, said it was a death trap. And BTW this thread is over 6 years old. ;)

Back