Looking for 2007-2009 Formula pics

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy Linney

Hello everyone, yet another picture thread, lol. I am starting a build on a Phil Thomas T-5 hull and I am going to modify to make the Formula (U-7 or U-5, I guess T6 was pretty close). Would greatly appreciate any photos you could offer up. Leaning very heavy torwards the boat that is featured on the home page of Newton's Marine. Would like to do extended saltwater scoop. I know rear shoes were different than what I have but unsure of rest.

While we are on this subject of modding the transom, do you guys build the boat as pictured or Mirror the transom configuration so the notched sponson is on the outside (left) and the streamline part of the transom is on the inside(right) with the rudder on the left?? The real boat is designed to turn left so I am thinking the model should mirror the real one. Why do they notch that outside sponson?

Are you talking the sponson or right side shoe? If you're talking the shoe, it has to do with water flow under and around the shoe during the turn. I don't know all the theory, but IF I remember right, having most of the boat's weight on the right side shoe and sponson during the turn makes it harder for water to get past the shoe. Shortening up the shoe makes the boat turn easier.

Are you talking the sponson or right side shoe? If you're talking the shoe, it has to do with water flow under and around the shoe during the turn. I don't know all the theory, but IF I remember right, having most of the boat's weight on the right side shoe and sponson during the turn makes it harder for water to get past the shoe. Shortening up the shoe makes the boat turn easier.
Ok I can see that, less drag, wouldnt affect the models much though

that's exactly what I thought also in the construction of the boat. why is the angle of the turn outer shoe almost 90 degrees?

btw

anyone has the color codes of the current orange graham?

Juergen

Rear shoes.jpg

P2170370.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I know Mike Hanson made that modification to the U-9 prior to winnng the Gold Cup and repeated the change on the Madison when he was hired on as the crew chief. I know the present Oberto has the same notched shoe configuration designed in to the right shoe as can be seen in this picture taken in front of the Oberto plant in Kent Washington back in 2008

Shark on tilt from bottom.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Back