Dumas 1972 Atlas Van Lines U-71 Sport 40 Hydro

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetpack

Hello Everyone,

I am going to build the Dumas 1972 Atlas kit and hoping people that have built the kit would offer suggestions or pictures of theirs to help me build mine.

I realize the wood is heavy, and most will probably be replaced. I would just like to see people's work or suggestions on getting the drive line set up with the pipe under the cowl, maybe some radio box suggestions, cowl lock setups, or any help on making my own dummy engine to help round out its looks after its done.

I am a decent builder with good experience and wouldn't mind scratch building my own dummy engine, or even doing a semi-scale cockpit with seat, wheel and dials, and was also wondering if there are any sets of aftermarket decals to replace my kit one, they do need replacing. I remember a few years ago I had stumbled across a magazine article how to make the rear fin stronger but don't remember it too well or where to find it.

Maybe if anyone remembers any old magaizines that featured a build up on this too would help, I would search those out for a copy.

I am going to try and make this a nice, decent attempt at a semi-scale build and looking for suggestions.

I am pretty much set on what engine and hardware is going in it. I have a Moki 40 Marine that is in fine shape that has a rear exhaust, and plan on using modified Octura hardware for the strut and rudder arrangement.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Everyone,
I am going to build the Dumas 1972 Atlas kit and hoping people that have built the kit would offer suggestions or pictures of theirs to help me build mine.

I realize the wood is heavy, and most will probably be replaced. I would just like to see people's work or suggestions on getting the drive line set up with the pipe under the cowl, maybe some radio box suggestions, cowl lock setups, or any help on making my own dummy engine to help round out its looks after its done.

I am a decent builder with good experience and wouldn't mind scratch building my own dummy engine, or even doing a semi-scale cockpit with seat, wheel and dials, and was also wondering if there are any sets of aftermarket decals to replace my kit one, they do need replacing. I remember a few years ago I had stumbled across a magazine article how to make the rear fin stronger but don't remember it too well or where to find it.

Maybe if anyone remembers any old magaizines that featured a build up on this too would help, I would search those out for a copy.

I am going to try and make this a nice, decent attempt at a semi-scale build and looking for suggestions.

I am pretty much set on what engine and hardware is going in it. I have a Moki 40 Marine that is in fine shape, and plan on using modified Octura hardware for the strut and rudder arrangement.

Thank you!
Newton has dummy engine plans! I have never seen one of these but i have a 18 inch one with a .09 in it

Hello Everyone,

I am pretty much set on what engine and hardware is going in it. I have a Moki 40 Marine that is in fine shape that has a rear exhaust, and plan on using modified Octura hardware for the strut and rudder arrangement.

Thank you!

I built one a looong time ago and actually raced it in the sport 40 class a coupla times....it is one of the easier dumas kits to build because of its drop sponson design...no severe bending of wood....the only challange with running the boat is its tendancy to hook because the hull is so narrow.....i shrunk the frame sheet in hopes of building a fast electric version of this hull...but im going to increase the beam a good bit. Have fun building!! Bill

Hello Everyone,

Thank you!
Hi jetpack. If it's the one I think it is (not the cabover, but the engine in front with a shallow pickle) I also have an untouched unbuilt kit of it plus 2 partially built hulls. It's about 36" long so close to 10th scale I suppose. Looks like the sponson deadrise is pretty steep. I'll be interested in your progress. I have not seen much info on the kit, it's pretty old and Dumas does not even have the tools for the cowls anymore. If you need a spare, Let me know, I may be able to make some. I have some good cowl parts that are not cut-up and a decent size vacuum forming machine.

Mikey, thanks for the lead on the engine drawing from Newton. Looks like he has both Allison and Rolls in 1/8th for five bucks, I'll scale one down. One of the very first boats I build was the one like you have, only I stayed with an .049 but used a TD version instead of the Babe Bee version shown. It was a tough flip of the finger to get it going, but it aired out really nice! It even came up on the prop a few times and had lots of fun free-running it on our lake with the fishing boat. The 10hp Merc had a hard time keeping up with it.

I was looking for templates of the 18" version so I could scratch build another...this time a little more nice...but I suppose I could always scale down this one I own now if needed.

Thanks Bill for the handling info. If your scaling one down look into the 18" version...might be what you need, however like this one it is out of production.

DJ, yes it is the pickle fork your thinking of. It's funny you should mentioin making cowls, because I was thinking the same thing with mine. I was just going to make plaster molds of mine and shelve them for now, just in case I need to make a copy. I can see where one good flip could break them. Or if I mess up or have different ideas as I am trying to scratch build the cockpit.

I'm finding it hard to find a cockpit shot of it, along with other good clear shots to help with the details.

Last edited by a moderator:
check out http://www.classicthunder.org/. They are 1/10 scale electrics but you gotta check out their website! They can help out alot in detailing your hull. I also have a dumas atlas van line U-71 sport 40 (kit # 1304) I saved all of the carrier sheets that the parts came in and traced them over 3/32 balsa wood to build a lighter electric version of the same boat... :lol: I used the original abs cowls as molds and had made fiberglass ones....

Back