Look what I learned how to do today!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Luszcz

Vendor
Well, after 110+/- framing kits, all drawn and fit by 2d autocad, I started playing around with some buttons never used before as a member here requested Anthony Marquart do the Thriftway Too cowling in 3d so he could get a CNC mold made, like Anthony helped me develop for my GP Sport Hydroplanes. Well, Anthony asked if I would get the profile and some cut sections drawn in 2d. So I did that, and when I got done, I decided to play around with some things, when I got done with that, I did a little more...I just kept running!!!! As you can tell, for a few hours of messing around, things started to take shape. If you have not guessed yet, I will probably be testing this out further with future Scale framing kits. Pretty cool for a first timer.

ThriftwayTooUpdate.gif

once you make the jump to 3d, you'll never want to go back. next step, surfacing, then solids, then advanced surfacing.. looks like it won't take long.

That looks really nice! I have tried a few times and got nothing like that.

once you make the jump to 3d, you'll never want to go back. next step, surfacing, then solids, then advanced surfacing.. looks like it won't take long.
If you learn 3D like Solidworks, you will be sick to your stomach when someone mentions AutoCad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use ProE and UG, Catia.. I wasn't going to say that,.. but yeah.,, Autocad is real good for things like traces on PBC's and laying stuff like floorplans.. real design takes more power... I think we all started on it...

I am actually thinking about starting night classes next semester to learn Pro/E, gcoding, and CNC setup and runs. The local college has a great program, which I already have a 2 yr arch tech degree from them and 4yr construction management from East Carolina Univ., so I could pick up another degree without all the "fluff" courses pretty quickly. The civil side of things, anyone of you above know this, are not exactly very stable right now, and I may need a 3d modeling degree at some point so I can get out of the civil field all together!

I do 3D boat design too but cant show you want I do............ lol

Some times I will lay the formers out in acad just because it easier (our system) to get em to the laser cutter.

Our shop is fun.. we have two CNC machines.. One for renbord (Shopbot)..likely what Zippy uses.. and one for Carbon fiber, steel and aluminum.

At home I have a micro CNC machine and have whipped out some of the coolest 1/8 scale valve cover plugs for vac forming..lol..

Good fun.

Grim

Just priced solidworks, its around $4000 for the standard version...Looks like that is not gonna happen any time soon. Can't even find Pro/E or Solidworks used anywhere.

Definately wish the software was more affordable. I can get on some of the stuff at work but no time for drawing models.... Used ProE at school. Would like to try out solidworks

Just priced solidworks, its around $4000 for the standard version...Looks like that is not gonna happen any time soon. Can't even find Pro/E or Solidworks used anywhere.
Yes SW does not market anything practical for the hobbyist. But, Alibre has been around for several years, and looks really good. They tailor to the hobbyist @ $200 for a seat.

I'm proficient in rhino, autocad, and solidworks. Solidworks is definitely the most user friendly of the three, plus it has sheet metal modeling and mold making as well as some simulation features as well. I think it is worth the cash, but not if you're just using it for hobby work.

Latest posts

Back