LF: 7068 aluminum

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Christy

Guys,

I'm on the hunt for what is so far turning out to be unobtanium. I've got some parts to quote with a material spec of 7068-T6511 aluminum, and I cant find any anywhere without committing to thousands of pounds of it. Anybody have a source or maybe have some laying around at the shop? I'm not looking to get it for free... I'll pay for it..... Just as soon as I can find someone willing to sell it.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Model Machine And Precision LLC

Paul,

Unfortunately, I have exhausted all "Google" options, including those. They all advertise availability, but have nothing on the racks.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

my experiance also. available by the truck load only(flat bar). mcmaster has some round

Steve,

Haven't seen any 7068 at McMaster-Carr.. 7075, yes. 7068, not so much.

Ray,

Ideally, 3/4", 1-1/8" and 1-3/4" diameters. A foot of each would be considerably more than I actually need.

I've managed to locate some 2" stock, but I hate to turn it down to .625" and almost 4" long.

Still looking. Any help will be greatly appreciated, even if fruitless.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

the had some about a year ago,not any more. i was gonna buy a bar and mill it flat for some rudder blades,gave up on that idea,too costly

Look at stockcarsteel.com Call and talk to Mike, they don't show it in stock, but maybe he can find it, he has helped me with other odd things in the past.

I have purchased 7068 in the past from McMaster but I have not seen it on their website for a while, maybe try and call them to verify they don't have any small quantities left in stock?

David,

Yup.. I found that. The seller actually has it much cheaper selling it direct from their website. Unfortunately, I needed something that would clean up to 1.72" or so.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

I love Ebay........................thy have every thing sooner or later if you keep looking from time to time..

I was just looking at one of my sources and it doesn't even list 7068. Just curious, what's so special about this particular alloy and why do you need it? Wouldn't another alloy work?

It's used often for rail accessories or the actual rail on military weapons i.e.: AR's and pistols. It's probably one of the best aluminums out there. If I were looking for bar stock I might try searching in that arena, maybe not the supplier but an end user may sell small quantities.

Thanks John

Mark,

To answer your question specifically, 7068 is considerably stronger than 7075, with little, if any, increase in mass.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Okay, just never heard of it and was curious. Come to think about it, I've never seen it used here at work either and, when you consider I work in aviation where we use primarily high strength aluminum and titanium, it seems a little strange that we don't use it. Then again, I wouldn't be able to personally use it as I doubt my mill could handle it as it has a rough time with anything over around .005 deep when making parts out of 6061.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back