Wet Sanding

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Christy

Guys,

The wife and I are looking at a really nice PowerQuest 280 Silencer. We love the boat, but the graphics on the side could go and we really wouldn't miss them. The wife is not overly fond of them, and I'm more of a minimalist and prefer more subtle graphics or nothing at all: just a plain white hull.

As I've been told, after a certain year, which would include this one, all graphics on PQ's were actually paint done after the hull was pulled from the mold. It's been suggested that the graphics can be removed without compromising the gelcoat, and, after a good buff job, it will be as if they were never there. I've watched several videos on wet sanding for oxidation restoration of FG hulls, and it doesn't look to be too daunting a task, even if time consuming.

I cannot, however, find anything about graphics removal. Without knowing what kind of paint was used, or any other specifics, how much more of a job is it to remove the paint than just a layer of oxidation?

I was quoted $2500-4000 to have it done :oops:, so it would be up to me to do it or live with the graphics. I'm willing to do the work, if I'm confident I won't make screw it up.

Thoughts?

Thanks. Brad.
Titan Racing Components
BlackJack Hydros
Model Machine and Precision LLC

A friend of mine has a boat detailing business and its amazing what he can pull off after a wet sand and buff. Here’s a couple screenshots from videos he posted on Facebook a couple days ago. He uses IGL ceramic coatings to seal them afterwards.

Brian

Attachments

• F8B57430-BE8B-4CF6-8555-F4C8CC93C450.png
    F8B57430-BE8B-4CF6-8555-F4C8CC93C450.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
  • 8AFCECD6-25F2-4490-A006-626435BBE91C.png
    8AFCECD6-25F2-4490-A006-626435BBE91C.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
  • 82B87047-1532-437F-998A-EC1835F86A75.png
    82B87047-1532-437F-998A-EC1835F86A75.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
Had to google P/Q - lol , what graphics are on it , there where a bunch, lots of checker patterns ...Good looking boat- whats in it for power ??
1616198052727.png

Andy,

PowerQuest 280 Silencer.jpg

This is the actual boat we are looking at. We haven't taken a sea trial yet, but I'm pretty well sold on the buy as is.

Like I said, I'm pretty well indifferent, but I could live without the graphics, and the wife doesn't really like them. If it were just the purple stripe, she'd be good. But the yellow/orange ribbon thingy.... Not so much.

This one has a 496 HO with a ProCharger from the factory. It also only has 141 hrs on it, which is a huge selling point for me.

Thanks. Brad.
Titan Racing Components
BlackJack Hydros

Yeah , of all the designs, and there where a bunch- I cant say Im a fan of the ribbon either.
Well worth the buy , no matter what design, Nice Rig :cool:

Too bad you can just loose the ribbon, carry the purple stripe and maybe some checkers back there -

Andy,

Nope. The wife ain't a fan of the checkers, either. :rolleyes: And that makes it tough, as they were the flavor of the day during the era that falls in our budget.

Like I said, I'm good with just plain ol' white. At least she likes purple (her fave), so, it's got that going for it.....

This one's an '02. He's wanting too much for it, even considering the really low hours, but not by a lot. I'm hoping there's some wiggle room in there, but I'm prepared to give him what he's asking for it. They are usually well taken care of (PQs), and this one appears to be no exception.

Thanks. Brad.
Titan Racing Components
BlackJack Hydros

Back