L Y N X is back

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a failure on my vacuum pump, not enough flow for 3 bags at 1 time. I have a new pump and larger air tank on the way. I'm stuck until I can get enough vacuum. Spending the time making flotation, cutting formers, etc. Also, most everyone wants gel coat. I still have not received this from my supplier. I'm promised it is on the way. Typical slow start. I've also designed a tool to perforate the foam core for the cowl and ultralight hulls. It was supposed to be ready at the machine shop on Wednesday, but no call. I'll check again on Monday. I hope to pull the first set of no gelcoat hull sets next weekend. My goal is 2-4 3 boats/week. The first few boats will go to those that have been paid to Carl for a while.
Got your order in the mail, Bill.
If your having a hard time getting the pump i have a asc unit new in box i can loan you......

Had a failure on my vacuum pump, not enough flow for 3 bags at 1 time. I have a new pump and larger air tank on the way. I'm stuck until I can get enough vacuum. Spending the time making flotation, cutting formers, etc. Also, most everyone wants gel coat. I still have not received this from my supplier. I'm promised it is on the way. Typical slow start. I've also designed a tool to perforate the foam core for the cowl and ultralight hulls. It was supposed to be ready at the machine shop on Wednesday, but no call. I'll check again on Monday. I hope to pull the first set of no gelcoat hull sets next weekend. My goal is 2-4 3 boats/week. The first few boats will go to those that have been paid to Carl for a while.
Got your order in the mail, Bill.
Jon,

Sorry you are having problems. It will work out for you, everything good has a few bumps in the road.

Bill

Thanks for the offer, my 3cfm pump should be here early next week. The 3 gallon tank arrived today. I already have all the valves and fittings for the new system carried over from the old one. Got some new Frekote mold release that I'll try on a test laminate tomorrow.

Here's an update on my 'little project'.

The vacuum bagging has proven more difficult than I had expected due to the original mold design not being made for vacuum bagging. The flange is simply too narrow. I will proceed with wet layup with epoxy resin the avoid further delay. In any event, the hull will weigh the same as when Carl was making them, but with epoxy resin. In the future I will look into modifying the mold flange to allow vacuum bagging.

I have had to modify the laminate schedule for use with epoxy resin. The chopped matt that was used to bulk the laminate will not work with epoxy resin. No mater what I tried, I could not get the matt binder to release with epoxy resin (it requires the styrene solvent in polyester/vinylester). The hull is now all cloth with stategic CF and Kevlar reinforcements standard. The full cloth laminate combined with epoxy resin will make the hull very strong without any more weight. The good news is that the epoxy gel coat is working very well with no print through on the finished samples so far.

As a result of the vacuum bag issue, the kevlar/foam ultra light layup hull is on hold. The foam core material I had planned to use requires a vaccum bag to work properly. I have ordered an alternate core material, but it will require some process confirmation to ensure that it will work as intended. I have another alternate plan I will try this week to see if I can get the weight down. In reality, this hull runs best at 33~36 oz (bare hull). Too light is not really a good thing for the 1ynx. For those that have sent in orders for a kevlar hull, I will be in touch once the trial laminate is complete to discuss your options.

The radio box mold should be here any day, but that is holding up the order for those that have requested a glass radio box. From this point on my plan is to layup 2~3 hulls/week.

I hope to be shipping the first hulls out before the end of January. Thank you for your patience.

Jon

Last edited by a moderator:
Back