Kobalt JD Kneeler Project

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mprfrk440

Got this hull a month ago and finally started some progress.

Got some diamond plate graphics printed on a sticky paper they use for wrapping cars, turned out pretty cool looking I think. Working on the blue and black for the sponsons, a logo, and the windshield. All out of the same material.

I will post more pics as I get the other graphics done and printed.

Plan on Futaba servos, O.S. Outboard (or Rod Geraughty Mod Rossi for play), Futaba 3PK 2.4 (really for the

crapshooter :), and a whole lot of fun at the Tunnel Champs this year. . .

IMG_2853.JPG

IMG_2856.JPG

IMG_2857.JPG

Lookin good!!! Go get them at the tunnel champs. That hull had a perfect score at the 2011 MN State Champs!

TL

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the blue done tonight.

Should have logo done by the weekend and drop off the files at the printers.

Kobalt Blue copy.jpg

Graphics done, might add something on the top of the sponsons, but ready to move forward with electronics. . .

IMG_2898.JPG

Well, got to run it for the first time this weekend. Still had not finished it on sat morning and of course kneeler was first heat of the race, bummer. so out on that one. Round 2 thru it in and around turns one and two and off it goes, no steering, lost radio with 2.4 (which was a used off ebay), straight into the bank. Came back fine with no damage to boat, motor not so good. Broke rod, piston, and scarred sleeve. Thanks to Deryl's Hobby Shop we got it back together for Round 3, changed out receiver with one that had a longer antenna. Around turns one and two and off it goes towards the bank AGAIN, but this time I had radio and shut it down before hitting the bank, what the heck, demons are on it today. Get it back and servo horn stripped, or at least I thought, me being still a newbie to things put a futaba horn on a JR servo and was informed by my buddy Deryl that it don't work like that. So, fixed all the bugs and got a few laps in at end of Saturday racing, SWEET, motor was a little high but had great speed and handled great, lowered motor down just a tick, lets get it on. Round 4, 3/4 of a lap off the start and last of four boats, Dick died, Carol died, and I was a comin for Ron Shaw. I think if we had one more lap I would have been able to make a move, but successful move is another thing, ended up 2nd.

Tim I see why this boat was a champion, the boat had the comp. beat by a mile, just not the driver. This was such a great boat to drive and so much fun. I will be ready for the next race with this boat and will be in the winners circle.

Well, got to run it for the first time this weekend. Still had not finished it on sat morning and of course kneeler was first heat of the race, bummer. so out on that one. Round 2 thru it in and around turns one and two and off it goes, no steering, lost radio with 2.4 (which was a used off ebay), straight into the bank. Came back fine with no damage to boat, motor not so good. Broke rod, piston, and scarred sleeve. Thanks to Deryl's Hobby Shop we got it back together for Round 3, changed out receiver with one that had a longer antenna. Around turns one and two and off it goes towards the bank AGAIN, but this time I had radio and shut it down before hitting the bank, what the heck, demons are on it today. Get it back and servo horn stripped, or at least I thought, me being still a newbie to things put a futaba horn on a JR servo and was informed by my buddy Deryl that it don't work like that. So, fixed all the bugs and got a few laps in at end of Saturday racing, SWEET, motor was a little high but had great speed and handled great, lowered motor down just a tick, lets get it on. Round 4, 3/4 of a lap off the start and last of four boats, Dick died, Carol died, and I was a comin for Ron Shaw. I think if we had one more lap I would have been able to make a move, but successful move is another thing, ended up 2nd.

Tim I see why this boat was a champion, the boat had the comp. beat by a mile, just not the driver. This was such a great boat to drive and so much fun. I will be ready for the next race with this boat and will be in the winners circle.
Doug,

Glad you got the demons outta that boat. It looked really good the last heat. With Dick's kneeler dead in the driving lane in the middle of turn 2, we both had to be careful. I saw you, but I had more throttle if needed. The boat I was driving came from Jerry Dunlap. I let my buddy Mike run it in the first race since I got it from Jerry, at the WTC, and it won. This race made the second win in a row for this boat with another perfect score. I loved driving it but dang, you have to really stay on top of this boat Just wanted to give Jerry some kudos as well. Looking forward to seeing you guys again soon..... ;)

Ron, I figured you were pedaling, all your boats where spot on this weekend. That leecraft was wicked fast and handled thru the turns with ease. Wish I could have got a little closer so we could have duked it out. Dick's dead boat in the middle of turns 3 and 4 was a bummer for me, that turn is a hard one. From what I hear your are a very competitive racer and I look forward to the next time we get to race these hulls. Fall Nats maybe . . .Congrats on the Kneeler win.

Doug

Ron, that was one of my old boats. You are right you have to stay reading the boat at all times. It's a true drivers boat. That is what I love about it. It was JD's latest design as of 2011.Doug, you will truly love driving the boat. Just ease off of the steering about 3/4 threw the turn or it may spin out ( if your using the turn fin setup I was ). Once dialed in it is a rocket down the straight. I wanted to put my G.M. OS head on it but ran out of time to test. I like the kneelers they replicate the full size ones so much! Good luck to both of you. Keep me posted Doug.TL</p>

Latest posts

Back