John Knight Exodus..end of an era...

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Larson

Many know... some don't.. John is hanging up the transmitters to spend time with his devoted wife and enjoy life he's missed with attention to the hobby and the sport... understandably so.. as a man, a great mentor and life counselor to me over the many years... ill thank you brother... and we'll keep on keepin on... Everybody that's raced the Charleston venue realizes his lifetime effort before, during and after each event and I've not to date seen a better place to be... competition, venue, or anything.. hes touched a lot of people over the yrs... made a lot of friends.. and I made the list... regardless of things.. and understandably so.. I got my weekly phone call to see how things in Iowa are going.. Johns tired. I know hes tired... and sadly... its time to go... anyway.. those that know him.. know.. you worked hard for it man... and 209 trophies to show is off the charts... I can only wish you and Brenda the best, as you move on, and have some fun as you may... you deserve it!... so.. thanks John.. you been there for a lot of guys... and this ones from me...

Yes very well said I to feel the same way john is rc boating to the core iam so glad to have had him as my friend over the years when I was racing he will be missed in the rc boating community but he knows that we all will have his back when he needs us so john be good and take care

PEACE OUT

John, Thanks for last Charleston race, Knoxville gang had a great weekend. God bless for turning energy where needed the most.

Terry Rogers, Knoxville

Thanks for all your effort in the hobby it did not go unnoticed. I never made it to Charleston but heard many good things about it.

John........Sorry to hear you will not be boating. I know you have enjoyed sharing the hobby with many of us model boaters. You will be missed at the pond! There is more to life than boating too, so enjoy the people and things that make you happy.

John

John has helped me in so many ways I cant count them all.

He has worked tirelessly for the hobby,CMB and fellow boaters for so many years.

You will be missed, John.

Tim

Many thanks for the kind comments.

Almost 3 years ago my wife of 42 years and myself found ourselves in an elder care situation for her 86 yr old father who moved in with us as he cannot take care of himself. His medical state is not good with afib, a pacemaker, diabetes with insulin, moderate dementia and significant depression due to the loss of his wife of 63 years in February 2014. His medical needs are growing almost daily leaving us with little time except for him and even less for rc boating. He has been in the hospital 3 times in the past 14 months, twice with strokes. He has 6 different doctors. This situation has driven me to my decision that was actually made over the summer after 26 years of rc boating but I made a commitment to stage the Fall Nationals this past weekend. But I know leaving is the right decision for the right reason - family. And the time is now.

Having the hurricane last month requiring the shift in the dates of the race essentially made us to prep for 2 races. The racers changed substantially as well as the classes. That really added to the workload and time required. But it is what it is, no one asked for it. A committee of CMB members will work to continue the 2 races we host each year. I will assist with some transition for them to get up to speed but patience from all attending the future races is needed top make it a success. There will be bumps in the road but we all have them in life.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sorry to hear that you will be leaving our sport at this time but I totally understand. Family comes first. I have always believed that you can take but so much from a hobby before you need to give something back and John, you have given back much more than you took. Your involvement with the Charleston club, the Tunnel Championship races and the Fall Nats races will always have your stamp on them. I always enjoyed racing with you. You were one of the people you could "trust" out on the race course ( I think you know what that means ). We have know each other for a long time and I wish you nothing but the best in the years to come. It is hard to walk away from something you have enjoyed and loved for such a long time but I know you will keep in touch with the many friends that you have made over the years.

One of your friends,

Dick Tyndall

Pretty good Mike

i never met you John i have had a few dealings with you all great

but to hear Mike talk i kinda do know you

some time life gets in the way BUT YOU GOT TO TAKE CARE OF FAMILY FIRST AN FOREMOST

you can always come back an play toy boats latter on

good luck in the future

marty

John introduced me to shrimp on a stick, rolled in Old Bay and cooked on the grill, I'll be forever grateful

Thanks for everything, as I had a great time at your races. Hopefully you will get some peace and rest soon at home.

Enjoyed your company and your hard work. Lotsa luck. Yes faimly first,

Bob and Karen Morton

Pittsburgh,Pa

Thanks a lot John to help to race at wtc2008

Enviado desde mi Nexus 4 mediante Tapatalk

Here is a story that a few of you know but most of you don't.

When I got back into the hobby in 2004 I was living in middle Georgia with no club affiliation. The next year I was back in the Savannah area and was driving to Walterboro, where the CMB's first pond was. Bobby Halliday and John Knight wanted to see my 'newfangled' boat that I had designed and raced the previous year with some controversy. Both Bobby and John told me if I brought my Mod-VP boats the club would run them as its own class.

I don't think any one that was there will forget the 2006 WTC. Mike Talley taking the first ever Mod-VP race. Mike Z. taking the Smack Talk Shootout and the infamous pink Barbie boat. And John clawed his way at every race that year and won the high point title in the last heat of the last race!

The next year the Halliday's left the hobby and it was John who stayed the course and made the class a part of the WTC ever since. It also was part of the STRA and the Brandon outboard race. I understand that yet another race will have the class on the list next year. For those of you who have enjoyed it and continue to enjoy it, thank John. He was one of the people who knew how much fun it would be.

Thanks for all of the hard work. We know it is not easy. Take care of the family. If you can, stop by the WTC next year. I am setting aside the time to be there.

That was a good memory mark.. thanks.

I have other stories too....

John.. you did a great job promoting. Thanks for taking that lead and helping to maintain and grow our hobby.

Grim

Here is a story that a few of you know but most of you don't.

When I got back into the hobby in 2004 I was living in middle Georgia with no club affiliation. The next year I was back in the Savannah area and was driving to Walterboro, where the CMB's first pond was. Bobby Halliday and John Knight wanted to see my 'newfangled' boat that I had designed and raced the previous year with some controversy. Both Bobby and John told me if I brought my Mod-VP boats the club would run them as its own class.

I don't think any one that was there will forget the 2006 WTC. Mike Talley taking the first ever Mod-VP race. Mike Z. taking the Smack Talk Shootout and the infamous pink Barbie boat. And John clawed his way at every race that year and won the high point title in the last heat of the last race!

The next year the Halliday's left the hobby and it was John who stayed the course and made the class a part of the WTC ever since. It also was part of the STRA and the Brandon outboard race. I understand that yet another race will have the class on the list next year. For those of you who have enjoyed it and continue to enjoy it, thank John. He was one of the people who knew how much fun it would be.

Thanks for all of the hard work. We know it is not easy. Take care of the family. If you can, stop by the WTC next year. I am setting aside the time to be there.
If there was A LIKE button - , yeah
default_wink.png

Back