JAP/JAE Riggers, post your pics!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the wind didn't coperate we had almost 20 mph winds in the morning and even white caps when we first got there. We had almost 20 people showed up. We did have few run some boats and we got some pictures so hoepfully we will get posted soon. Still had a good time BSing boats and get race dates lined up we will most likely be hosting a race here sometime in April for hydros and since we have so many .12s being made I'm sure that will be one of the classes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the wind didn't coperate we had almost 20 mph winds in the morning and even white caps when we first got there. We had almost 20 people showed up. We did have few run some boats and we got some pictures so hoepfully we will get posted soon. Still had a good time BSing boats and get race dates lined up we will most likely be hosting a race here sometime in April for hydros and since we have so many .12s being made I'm sure that will be one of the classes.
Cool Bro...thanks for the update!! :)

-Kent

Here are a couple of pics from our January 2nd run. David's JAE 90 outrigger running and Mike/ Jeff Schindler getting the ice broken off their .12 JAE

Here are a few more Photos of Brave People who came out on a cold day to run their boats!

0008.JPG

0007.JPG

0005.JPG

0004.JPG

well guys I just got my JAE 21 on the 6 of Jan. I Started to built the next day 21/2 days later this is where I'm at.....

281lw1.jpg

2v1owgx.jpg

2zjmf14.jpg

106mvqu.jpg

20ixd15.jpg

28bcg1s.jpg

I just want to say that the kit is very easy to built. I also like to thank everyone that was involve of the making of this HOT ROD B)

More pic to come. :)

Nick

well guys I just got my JAE 21 on the 6 of Jan. I Started to built the next day 21/2 days later this is where I'm at.....

106mvqu.jpg

I just want to say that the kit is very easy to built. I also like to thank everyone that was involve of the making of this HOT ROD B)

More pic to come. :)

Nick
Looks Great!

I see you used foam core for the ski . I just got thru doing the same thing this weekend to finish my JAE 12 myself........

Nightmare,

Looks great! I like how you did the threaded inserts for the turn fin. Are you only going to use 3 screws for the fin. Any reason why? I was thinking maybe only two were needed, but it is a big fin.

Thanks.

Looks Great!

I see you used foam core for the ski . I just got thru doing the same thing this weekend to finish my JAE 12 myself........
I was doing some reading here and I thought it would be a good idea to have a better support on the bottom of the Tub.

Nightmare,

Looks great! I like how you did the threaded inserts for the turn fin. Are you only going to use 3 screws for the fin. Any reason why? I was thinking maybe only two were needed, but it is a big fin.

Thanks.
I have no faith in wooden screws, especially in our hobby. Things will start flying off in the middle of the race. So I used the 4/40 inserts and counter-sync them. Now, I will make some plugs our of nylon and press them into the holes. If I need to take them out I'll just punch them out. I think the fin is too big for 2. That's why I used three screws and if I need to move it back, I'd still end up with 3 screws holding it. I'm just waiting on a strut right now because Joe was out of them and thats what's holding me up to finish the tub.

I will post more pictures as I go along.

PS I went to Lowes and they have some really nice plastic 5/16s plastic plugs that fit in the brass tubes on the outside of the sponsons. <_<

Thanks.

Nick

I don't like wood screws either. Before epoxying the motor mount blocks to the hull I drilled holes for some 6-32 stainless machine screws. The screw heads are recessed into the wooden blocks, and the screws are threaded and epoxied into the blocks. Now I can use nylon lock nuts to secure the motor mount.

mount1.jpg

mount2.jpg

Craig,

Are you bolting a 101 RS in that boat? We used blocks of

metal like that 20 years ago. :unsure: The stock mount or a plastic

mount is all you need. You are going to have a 10 lb. 21 Hydro

when you get her done. On the stock mount all you need to do is glue

in some threaded rod inserts and you can bolt it right in. The JAE

team will be disappointed seeing the boat built like the 1980's. You

are going to need a 45 motor just to launch the anchor/motor mount.

I hate to be critical, but that is not how the boat was designed to run.

Good Luck,

Mark Sholund

Craig,

Good Luck,

Mark Sholund
It's 1/4" thick and weighs 45 grams, not sure if that is too heavy. I can drill holes to lighten, but I wanted the 1/4" thickness for a larger bearing surface for the rubber bushings. If the mount was any thinner I would need to trim the rubber bushings.

Also, I dislike two-piece vibration damped mounts. I know, everyone is running them with no problems, but it's just me.

Not sure what you mean by "stock" mount, none was included in the kit. :p I built this mount for next to nothing, as I had all the materials on hand already. All the little things add up and the next thing you know you are over budget.

Also, if it was an 80's mount there would be no vibration damping. :p

Craig,

Good Luck,

Mark Sholund
It's 1/4" thick and weighs 45 grams, not sure if that is too heavy. I can drill holes to lighten, but I wanted the 1/4" thickness for a larger bearing surface for the rubber bushings. If the mount was any thinner I would need to trim the rubber bushings.

Also, I dislike two-piece vibration damped mounts. I know, everyone is running them with no problems, but it's just me.

Not sure what you mean by "stock" mount, none was included in the kit. :p I built this mount for next to nothing, as I had all the materials on hand already. All the little things add up and the next thing you know you are over budget.

just remember Grams turn into Ounces and Ounces turn into Pounds. Rick

Craig,

Good Luck,

Mark Sholund

just remember Grams turn into Ounces and Ounces turn into Pounds. Rick
I did not know the JAE 21 would be so sensitive to a little extra weight. I will go ahead and lighten up my mount with some holes. I can machine a little off the sides too.

I still maintain that the 1/4" thickness and 1/4" tall rubber bushings will do a better job damping side vibrations with twice the bearing surface if I had used 1/8" thick plate. Maybe that is why the Zippkit mount uses six screws. I have a hard enough time accurately drilling four holes than have to drill six. :)

Craig,

Your 1.58oz motor mount want hurt a thing. If you want to loose some weight without drilling those holes

use aluminum on you stuffing tube instead of brass ( i do) and you will be fine. Have fun building your boat, you are doing a great job. I like when people "think outside the box".

KP

Craig,

We shoot for 3 lbs to 3.5 lbs on a 21 hydro.

The mount will work just fine, but I would drill

it out if you can. A 21 motor only has so much

power to move weight, so it is important to keep

it to a minimum. The boat will still run well.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Craig,

We shoot for 3 lbs to 3.5 lbs on a 21 hydro.

The mount will work just fine, but I would drill

it out if you can. A 21 motor only has so much

power to move weight, so it is important to keep

it to a minimum. The boat will still run well.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund
Mark, Speaking of motor mounts, I had to buy some different material to finish yours.Will have it done soon.

Jim

Craig,

Your 1.58oz motor mount want hurt a thing. If you want to loose some weight without drilling those holes

use aluminum on you stuffing tube instead of brass ( i do) and you will be fine. Have fun building your boat, you are doing a great job. I like when people "think outside the box".

KP
Does aluminum work good?

Have you noticed any difference in wear when running without a liner?

Kentley, really? Not to question your expertise but I tried an aluminum stuffing tube in a .12 mono and blew it apart. I was only using a tired .12 and .098" cable. The tube looked like when Bugs Bunny stuck his finger in Elmer Fudd's rifle, seriously flared. It wasn't pretty and a hassle to get back out. No thanks, I'll stay with brass.

Back