JAP/JAE Riggers, post your pics!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kentley, really? Not to question your expertise but I tried an aluminum stuffing tube in a .12 mono and blew it apart. I was only using a tired .12 and .098" cable. The tube looked like when Bugs Bunny stuck his finger in Elmer Fudd's rifle, seriously flared. It wasn't pretty and a hassle to get back out. No thanks, I'll stay with brass.
Kentley is referring to what some may call a shaft log. I pitted for him when he broke the oval records so I got to see his JAE up close and personal and he uses an aluminum shaft log that stays in the hull. The tube going through the aluminum one running to the strut itself is definitely brass. Hope this clears it up for everyone. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Kentley, really? Not to question your expertise but I tried an aluminum stuffing tube in a .12 mono and blew it apart. I was only using a tired .12 and .098" cable. The tube looked like when Bugs Bunny stuck his finger in Elmer Fudd's rifle, seriously flared. It wasn't pretty and a hassle to get back out. No thanks, I'll stay with brass.
Kentley is referring to what some may call a shaft log. I pitted for him when he broke the oval records so I got to see his JAE up close and personal and he uses an aluminum shaft log that stays in the hull. The tube going through the aluminum one running to the strut itself is definitely brass. Hope this clears it up for everyone. :)
That makes sense. Did you take any spy photos for posting? :)

What is the benefit of the brass tube inside the aluminum tube?

The aluminum tube is a shorter tube and is fixed to the hull with epoxy. The brass tube slides into the fixed aluminum tube and can be easily replaced if damaged or worn out.

The aluminum tube is a shorter tube and is fixed to the hull with epoxy. The brass tube slides into the fixed aluminum tube and can be easily replaced if damaged or worn out.
...but it can't be easily replaced with the ski on the JAE in the way...

-Kent

-Kent
Yup, That's why I asked for pictures of Kentley's JAE rigger. The S-bend is an issue too.

Here is the servo layout for my JAE 21. Rudder is a Futaba S3002 and the throttle and 3rd channel needle are HS-82MG's. The servo tray is 5/32" plywood.

servo1.jpg

-Kent
Yup, That's why I asked for pictures of Kentley's JAE rigger. The S-bend is an issue too.
Not true. The Eagle SGX boats run a solid foam sheeted rear center shoe that is cut out to just go around the stuffing tube. They have the shaft log glassed in and changing the stuffing tube is no problem if you're careful. As for the S bend it's no big deal if you anneal the brass tube first.

Japs look good, however I would put my $ into a lighting rigger and cowl!!!!! ;)

-Kent
Not true. The Eagle SGX boats run a solid foam sheeted rear center shoe that is cut out to just go around the stuffing tube. They have the shaft log glassed in and changing the stuffing tube is no problem if you're careful. As for the S bend it's no big deal if you anneal the brass tube first.
Good to know. I'll try to make a slighter half s-bend for the shaft log. I did notice that your new Jag twin has s-bends with shaft logs, so it must work if you know what you are doing, which sometimes I don't. :)

To anneal I heat the brass tube till it glows red and then immediately quench it in water. Is this correct?

Good to know. I'll try to make a slighter half s-bend for the shaft log. I did notice that your new Jag twin has s-bends with shaft logs, so it must work if you know what you are doing, which sometimes I don't. :)

To anneal I heat the brass tube till it glows red and then immediately quench it in water. Is this correct?
Just heat it until the brass starts to blue then let it cool. :)

Just a few photos of my JAE .12.. Im currently working on throttle linkage . seems that even after changing the carburetor arm shape and adding a hole in the arm so I can get better servo throw I still had to carve away some of the side rail upper support . Sorry for the blurry photos. I should be ok .. what do you guys think open to suggestions to linkages

0012.JPG

Side view with tune pipe in place/

0010.JPG

Blurry but you can see where I had to take away material to have room for the full throw of the arm with ball linkage.

Looking good!

I barely got away with not having to do any carving on the side but it's close. Speaking of that, I FINALLY got my throttle linkage hooked up myself just about 2 hours ago! Now it's hard to get back to the workshop with the Bud Shoot-out on and answering e-mails.

Looking good!

I barely got away with not having to do any carving on the side but it's close. Speaking of that, I FINALLY got my throttle linkage hooked up myself just about 2 hours ago! Now it's hard to get back to the workshop with the Bud Shoot-out on and answering e-mails.

Thanks Ron!

I tried to get it set up like your photo in another post but couldn't see your photo well enough to see how you bent the arm. But Im happy with the cut out still have to shave off a little more on the front not a whole lot and Im done . I cant wait ! I got a second boat on the way Im thinking to do a water kooled version but Im looking to maybe just hold on to that kit and then spend my money on a 21 JAE with a nova rossi 7 port . figure I should go all the way... on the motor ... Go watch the bud shoot out can always answer emails later

The race just ended, wow, what a finish!

I had the engine out a little while ago and if I would have known then I could have gotten a really good shot for you.

With 2 .12 kits I can do a lot of spearmenting (watching DW too much!) with one water-cooled and the other air-cooled. Trying different pipes and props will be part of the fun.

The JAE .21 has taken up a lot of my spare time when I don't have my butt parked in front of this thing. An engine and radio gear is a month off yet for that one plus the other .12 NR.

I had the engine out a little while ago and if I would have known then I could have gotten a really good shot for you.

With 2 .12 kits I can do a lot of spearmenting (watching DW too much!) with one water-cooled and the other air-cooled. Trying different pipes and props will be part of the fun.

The JAE .21 has taken up a lot of my spare time when I don't have my butt parked in front of this thing. An engine and radio gear is a month off yet for that one plus the other .12 NR.
have any pics to share of the 21 yet? I think I will put in an order for the motor in 3 weeks and order the hull this week with some of the hardware just want to find some good water seals for that project and get speed master water proof on /off switch... haha spearminting yeah too much DW but hes fun to listen too!!

Alexander the aeromarine pushrod seals hold up very good .

have any pics to share of the 21 yet? I think I will put in an order for the motor in 3 weeks and order the hull this week with some of the hardware just want to find some good water seals for that project and get speed master water proof on /off switch... haha spearminting yeah too much DW but hes fun to listen too!!

Alexander the aeromarine pushrod seals hold up very good .

Hey Bill

Yeah! I will look into those and there is another brand that has a insert that you glue into the bulk head and the slip the rubber bellow on with goop or CA or epoxy .. Do you or anyone know where I can get those also?

Thanks

All I've posted so far I think of the .21 version was a comparison of the sponson sizes.

Try Wood Racing Products for those cool pushrod seals.

Back