JAP/JAE .12G construction

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom, I was wondering the same thing... LOL

-Chris
oops messed that one up.... i use medium CA for pvc to g10 and epoxy for pvc and g10 to foam.

i'm still undecided about these materials... they do work though....

Does anybody have Step by step build pictures??

This will be my first ever attempt at building a wood boat of any sort.

Pics can be sent to [email protected]

Also I live in australia so what parts would be availible down under that I could use??

Will solinger ship over here??

Thank you

Matthew Lee Bell

Cat Scratch Racing

so what strut did you guys all decide to use. i ordered the solinger mount and rudder and am looking for struts, preferably .130 flex w-3/16th stub shaft

so what strut did you guys all decide to use. i ordered the solinger mount and rudder and am looking for struts, preferably .130 flex w-3/16th stub shaft

Chuck,

All the JAP/JAE .12 boats I have built use the Octura OC6SBE berylium copper strut with the little fin cut off the bottom.

I prefer the .150" shaft with a 3/16" stub shaft.It doesn't take any more HP to turn a .150" shaft and the JAE designed boats like weight on the prop and the .150" shaft helps that.

Did you ever get a set of plans for the JAP.12? ...In the building notes on the plans,all the part numbers for the hardware is listed and where to buy it.

If you don't have a set of the JAE/JAP.12 plans ,send me your email and I will forward you a set of plans in PDF format.

My email address is.....

[email protected]

Send me an email and not a personal message so I can just attach the plans when I reply back to you.

Me and Glenn will be testing out wire drives on our boats Rod, back when I was messing with FE, we noted it took less amperage to turn the same prop with a wire drive, as opposed to the .130 cable.

Might we need to add a bit of weight to the rear?

Whats your boats prop weight?

I just got my kit today. I can't wait to start building it. I do have a couple of questions though: Who sells a flywheel for the .12 engines? Also, my plan is to run one of my spare RB Concepts V12 5-port engines, but all of my car engines are on-roads with a pilot shaft crankshaft. is there a way to get this style crank to work? For anybody not sure what a pilot shaft looks like, here is a link to the engine pic

http://www.rcplanet.com/v/vspfiles/photos/RBD01700000630-2T.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

JayP

I just got my kit today. I can't wait to start building it. I do have a couple of questions though: Who sells a flywheel for the .12 engines? Also, my plan is to run one of my spare RB Concepts V12 5-port engines, but all of my car engines are on-roads with a pilot shaft crankshaft. is there a way to get this style crank to work? For anybody not sure what a pilot shaft looks like, here is a link to the engine pic

JayP
Yes I can put a flywheel on this motor.I remove the pilot shaft on the SG crank and counterbore the flywheel on the lathe to accept

an Octura flex-hex collet.

I have a few of the flywheels and Octura collets in stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is on it's way, cant wait to get her built!!
smile.gif

Thanks for the reply, Rod. Send me a message and let me know the cost for the work. Do you think this choice of engine will make the boat sing? I also have an RB X12 that I may use, but i'm sure the mod would be the same for either.

JayP

JayP
Yes I can put a flywheel on this motor.I remove the pilot shaft on the SG crank and counterbore the flywheel on the lathe to accept

an Octura flex-hex collet.

I'm wondering about battery packs also. There isn't a lot of room in there and I think that I can get away with a small 4-cell pack. Weight means a lot in these little boats.

I started playing with mine today after getting the building board cleaned off. I started with the sponsons as I'm kind of used to building those first or something that can be worked on while you're waiting for the epoxy to dry on the tub. I used an industrial double-sided tape (think carpet tape with a higher price tag) to stick the sides on. I don't advise this for everybody as it's a one-shot deal, you'd better get it on correctly the first time! Mark Scott got some of this from me a few years back for building WOF 3.5 OB tunnel sponsons.

What I need is one good day where all I have to do is work on it and I think that most of it if not all could be completed.

I'm wondering about battery packs also. There isn't a lot of room in there and I think that I can get away with a small 4-cell pack. Weight means a lot in these little boats.
Brian Buaas mentioned that a 4s pack would be too heavy for this particular hull, you'd be better off having a 2s boat.

<-- Ron's gonna use a Ni-cad or NiMH pack as he's cheap and doesn't own one of them there fancy battery chargers! :D

2 cell Li-Po 500 mah with a regulater Thats what I plan, also my scale I am building I plan on 2 cell li-po with the new high voltage servo's no need for a voltage reg,!!

2 cell Li-Po 500 mah with a regulater Thats what I plan, also my scale I am building I plan on 2 cell li-po with the new high voltage servo's no need for a voltage reg,!!
Sorry sir, I didn't make it very clear that I'm an FE kind of person lol. That packs I need to cram in there are 4000ish sized. Although that's the first I heard of high voltage servos. Have any quick links to them? I always thought I was up on the latest and greatest.

Who is using what to keep the boom tubes from sliding in the tube.zip ties wheel collars ??

What Turn fins are working well?

Brian Buaas mentioned that a 4s pack would be too heavy for this particular hull, you'd be better off having a 2s boat.

yea, i plan on using 1506/2.5d or 1509/1.5d on 2s... Cant wait to see one in FE trim!! :)

Back