JAP/JAE .12G construction

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Todds quote......Another comment, I smashed my 1st sponsons up.... the 2nd set has a much higher AOA (just over 6*) which ran fine on Larrys test pond but last Sunday at the club race - in the 20MPH winds and 2"+ waves - it became emminently clear this is too high of an AOA for those conditions (boat would bounce up into the air).

Just a point of clarification............I had a JAP.12G builder contact me wanting to know what changes Todd made to his JAP.12G boat when he built it.....

Todds boat uses all the JAP.12G design nuances,but it isn't a boat built directly from the JAP.12G plans.......Todds boat was built using an existing .12 boat tub.Todd and I had a three minute boogie and design seminar which resulted in new front sponsons,throwing away the rears and adding a ski......and......his boat is running great.

The changes Todd is making to his .12 boat are just part of his JackAssPerformance Racing boat design journey of learning. ;) :)

The JAP.12G plans were drawn after Todds boat was modified and completed .There are no changes necessary to the JAP.12G plans .

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,Someone (Rod, Tchedoff) can pinned the turn fin plan.

Regards.
As far as I know there was no turnfin design pattern published.I do know there was a turnfin note on the JAP.12G plans noting where to buy an existing fin that will work very well.

The boat has been tested with the Miss Vegas turnfin and it works very well.....The P/N on that Miss Vegas turnfin from....www.TowerHobbies.com.....is LXMLL1.

Note.....I will see what we can do to publish a turnfin design drawing for those who want to build their own..... ;) :) building is more fun than buying....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,Someone (Rod, Tchedoff) can pinned the turn fin plan.

Regards.
As far as I know there was no turnfin design pattern published.I do know there was a turnfin note on the JAP.12G plans noting where to buy an existing fin that will work very well.

The boat has been tested with the Miss Vegas turnfin and it works very well.....The P/N on that Miss Vegas turnfin from....www.TowerHobbies.com.....is LXMLL1.

Note.....I will see what we can do to publish a turnfin design drawing for those who want to build their own..... ;) :) building is more fun than buying....

you guys using the stock miss vegas turn fin on these if so i got one i will so also got a set of stock motor mounts.. if your not intested ill save them for my jap 12 project... Guys where is a good place to get wood. im looking to build one of these boats. but my local hobby shop only carrys small amount of ply. Thanks again.

Tim

you guys using the stock miss vegas turn fin on these if so i got one i will so also got a set of stock motor mounts.. if your not intested ill save them for my jap 12 project... Guys where is a good place to get wood. im looking to build one of these boats. but my local hobby shop only carrys small amount of ply. Thanks again.

Tim

Balsa USA and B&D International are two good sources

I started building JAP a week ago when I found the pdf drawigs from http://ne-stuff.blogspot.com/2009/04/jap-12g-heat-racing-hydroplane.html

This is my first hydroplane (and nitro powered boat) so little help is needed.

Do you have dimensions / drawings for do-it-yourself turnfins and rudders?

I can make something like that miss vegas fin, but how long etc. that rudder needs to be?

I have a CNC- mill, so making those parts isn´t a problem. I already made motor mounts.

Also, could a straight drive shaft be used, or does it have to be flex drive?

If straight shaft is no go, what parts you recommend?

I started building JAP a week ago when I found the pdf drawigs from http://ne-stuff.blogspot.com/2009/04/jap-12g-heat-racing-hydroplane.html

This is my first hydroplane (and nitro powered boat) so little help is needed.

Do you have dimensions / drawings for do-it-yourself turnfins and rudders?

I can make something like that miss vegas fin, but how long etc. that rudder needs to be?

I have a CNC- mill, so making those parts isn´t a problem. I already made motor mounts.

Also, could a straight drive shaft be used, or does it have to be flex drive?

If straight shaft is no go, what parts you recommend?
Jiri,

Where are you located?

Rod Geraghty

Jiri,

Where are you located?

Rod Geraghty
I live in Finland.

------------------

Did some tweaking with picture of Miss Vegas turn fin, PSP and cad..

Does the fin look about right?
From what I can see you may end up with the fin a bit deeper.....I think what you have there is a great place to start....

The JAP.12 does not seem to be to sensitive to a particular turnfin design.Cut out your fin and try it.I would wager it will run fine.

How long should that rudder blade be?

I made my own.. approx. 3 inches total length and it reaches 50mm (~2 inches) below tub bottom.

Also, I have a HPI .12 car engine (1623 Nitro Star 12R SC)I plan to start with.

What prop might be suitable?

JRUD-1.JPG

JRUD-2.JPG

I made my own.. approx. 3 inches total length and it reaches 50mm (~2 inches) below tub bottom.

Off the subject,are you planning on "gusseting" or using a 90 degree bracket to support your rudder spar? It will need it.

Off the subject,are you planning on "gusseting" or using a 90 degree bracket to support your rudder spar? It will need it.
Rudder support isn´t even glued in that picture, just some double sided tape to hold it in place for taking the photos.

I´ll glue it later and add triangle support like drawings say.

just downloaded these plans, what diameter boom tubes are you guys running, i have some graphite stuff in 5/16" and 7/32", any good?

Jiri, what hardware are you using? I love your rudder, where can I get one?

3" should be just fine.......

Jiri, what hardware are you using? I love your rudder, where can I get one?
I made it. I have a small cnc-mill (also diy) so I can make some parts.

Still need to make a turnfin..

Drive hardware will be Octura .130 flex cable, collet, strut etc. Ordered those few days ago.

Should arrive sometime next week.

I made it. I have a small cnc-mill (also diy) so I can make some parts.

Still need to make a turnfin..

Drive hardware will be Octura .130 flex cable, collet, strut etc. Ordered those few days ago.

Should arrive sometime next week.

Good job man...

I love Helsinki, Tampere and Rovaniemen by the way...

Tom,

What are you using to glue the G10 and PVC together?

Everyone,

What are the final weights of your boats ready for the water?

Thanks.

-Chris

Back