JAE.45 H/G plans are now available

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the plans Rod and co.

I do have some questions :

SPONSONS:

1. On the plans the placement for the boom tubes differs some - yours and Hall. Should they be the same from the top, and what measurement without topsheeting ?

2. Are the front not blunt and rounded as the smaller JAE`s ?

3. Same type of step on the bottom or blended in ?

4. Only the bottom running surface with overhang ?

5. Sponsons paralell or toe in ?

TUB:

1. The plans indicate that the bottom is not flat - bends about where the engine is placed. Should this be a curve or a small step ?

2. A small step as on the smaller ones on the bottom front ?

3. With the tub side placed on a flat surface - no bottom sheeting - what are the measurements - the distance from the bottom - for the boom tubes, the front small step and front ?

4. Are there a reason why the rear sponson tube are placed so much higher than the front ?

OTHER:

1. Is it designed for a Sullivan tank ?

2. How about engine mounts ?

3. Drawing of the turnfin ?

4. The ski is triangular with only straight lines - correct ?

5. Pictures of a finished boat ?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Kim, Thanks for looking,

Sponsons:

1. The sponsons use the same template which is located at the bottom of the drawing and has the text beside it. The template is smaller because it does not take the top and bottom decking into account.

2. You can finish the sponson tips as you desire. Some people like blunt some like sharp. You will not see a difference in how the boat performs.

3. 3 a step is good

4. No overhang required with the 40 boat.

5. We have run them either way. Mine is straight but 1/16" wouldn't hurt.

TUB:

1. The tub is flat with 2 transitions. Once you get the plans printed you will see the bottom. !!NO CURVES!! on any bottom surface.

2. There are two changes in angle, the transitions need to be sharp but no overlap required.

3. The side template is the top drawing on the tub page. It is drawn without the top and bottom deck. Just print it and it will tell you all you need to know.

4. The rear tube was designed that way to make sure it didn't come close to the water during launch. If you chose to lower it you have to lower it in the sponsons also. I would highly recommend you build it to the plan.

OTHER:

1. No, Walt Barney built the on for mine. You can send Walt measurements.

2. It depends on what you use for the sides of your tub. You should end up with about 3 1/2" inside width. I made my mount but it was from a speed master 21 with 3 rubber bushings on both sides. It came with shims.

3. I scaled the 21 up 20%

4. SKI yes

5. I will post pics by Monday night.

Keep us updated with a few pics when you start your build. My 45JAE is running between 82 and 83mph (radar gun) with a stock 1860 octura and turns just like all the other JAE boats. I have a couple other props from Mark that gives it a better straight away speed but doesn't come out of the corner quiet so well. The 1657 keeps the RPM up in the corner. If you build it by the plan you will be very happy.

Kim, Thanks for looking,

Sponsons:

1. The sponsons use the same template which is located at the bottom of the drawing and has the text beside it. The template is smaller because it does not take the top and bottom decking into account.

2. You can finish the sponson tips as you desire. Some people like blunt some like sharp. You will not see a difference in how the boat performs.

3. 3 a step is good

4. No overhang required with the 40 boat.

5. We have run them either way. Mine is straight but 1/16" wouldn't hurt.

TUB:

1. The tub is flat with 2 transitions. Once you get the plans printed you will see the bottom. !!NO CURVES!! on any bottom surface.

2. There are two changes in angle, the transitions need to be sharp but no overlap required.

3. The side template is the top drawing on the tub page. It is drawn without the top and bottom deck. Just print it and it will tell you all you need to know.

4. The rear tube was designed that way to make sure it didn't come close to the water during launch. If you chose to lower it you have to lower it in the sponsons also. I would highly recommend you build it to the plan.

OTHER:

1. No, Walt Barney built the on for mine. You can send Walt measurements.

2. It depends on what you use for the sides of your tub. You should end up with about 3 1/2" inside width. I made my mount but it was from a speed master 21 with 3 rubber bushings on both sides. It came with shims.

3. I scaled the 21 up 20%

4. SKI yes

5. I will post pics by Monday night.

Keep us updated with a few pics when you start your build. My 45JAE is running between 82 and 83mph (radar gun) with a stock 1860 octura and turns just like all the other JAE boats. I have a couple other props from Mark that gives it a better straight away speed but doesn't come out of the corner quiet so well. The 1657 keeps the RPM up in the corner. If you build it by the plan you will be very happy.
Great to see you on here Dave. Hope to see you at the pond on the 2nd.

Thanks for the reply - still have some more questions :

1. The tub bottom is sheeted with 3 pieces - correct ?

2. Are the tub top paralell when placed on a setup board ?

3. On a setup board, how much higher are the rear part of the sponson compared to the front ?

4. The PDF file for the 21 version the exact position for the boom tubes are described - missing on the 45.

5. Where should the CoG be ?

6. How do you mount the fin - like the smaller versions or other ?

7. Where should the fin be placed for a start - position and depth ? Are Rod using a Hawk fin ?

8. Any setup tricks to compensate for propwalk ?

9. How about hardware - Solinger motor mount, strut and rudder ?

Thanks

Will there be any revisions on the pdf`s ?

Kim J
No....there are no plans to revise what has already been released on the JAE.45HG PDF's.........go have the existing PDF's "printed out".....You will have everything you need to build the boat.....all the patterns are there and the all critical locations of parts are shown on the templates.....

Any JAE boat plans for the larger displacement motors will require some personal design initiative and hardware research and possible installation modification to fit your specific needs...

The larger displacement JAE boat plans were never intended for the novice builder.....

If these plans are confusing to you,maybe you should consider building the JAE.12G from Zippkits as a warm-up...The instruction manual is excellent and the same building techniques can be directly translated to the JAE.45HG.....

The questions and answers in all the .12 & .21 JAE boats threads on IW all apply directly to the JAE.45HG boat......

Rod Geraghty

The pdf`s for the 21 version has more "info" than the 45 plans - therefore I wanted to know if they would be updated before printing them in full scale.

The 45 plans do have some small "errors" - like the ski does not protrude 15/16 inch behind the transom on the top view on plan nr 2 and 3.

Will Zipkits offer the 45 version as a set, like the other JAE`s ?

PS

I have been running, building and constructed riggers for more than 30 years ....

The pdf`s for the 21 version has more "info" than the 45 plans - therefore I wanted to know if they would be updated before printing them in full scale.

The 45 plans do have some small "errors" - like the ski does not protrude 15/16 inch behind the transom on the top view on plan nr 2 and 3.

PS

I have been running, building and constructed riggers for more than 30 years ....

I am confused.....I really don't know what you mean about Zippkits offering the .45 version as a "set"..a "set" of what???..plans,kit...what :huh: :blink: ????

If you mean "kit" ,I don't believe Joe Petro at Zippkits will be offering the .45 as a kit......If you meant a "set" of plans on the Zippkits website,,you will have to ask him....

You are right...we are perfectly aware that there is more info on the .12 & .21 plans....they were intended for the 1st time builder to complete a successful build........I would be more than happy to send you the AutoCad drawings of the .45 boat if you would like to add more to them for your use.....

As long as the tub bottom remains reasonably parallel with the water when the boat is running it makes no difference if the ski ends 15/16" or 1" or 1-1/4" behind the transom.The boat doesn't care and performance will not be hampered....[the angle of attack on the ski is not critical as long as the length of the ski is close to the length as shown on the drawings.]

I would be more than happy to talk to you about the boat....send me a PM with a phone number and I will be glad to call you.....

Rod Geraghty

PS

I am confused.....I really don't know what you mean about Zippkits offering the .45 version as a "set"..a "set" of what???..plans,kit...what :huh: :blink: ????

If you mean "kit" ,I don't believe Joe Petro at Zippkits will be offering the .45 as a kit......If you meant a "set" of plans on the Zippkits website,,you will have to ask him....

You are right...we are perfectly aware that there is more info on the .12 & .21 plans....they were intended for the 1st time builder to complete a successful build........I would be more than happy to send you the AutoCad drawings of the .45 boat if you would like to add more to them for your use.....

As long as the tub bottom remains reasonably parallel with the water when the boat is running it makes no difference if the ski ends 15/16" or 1" or 1-1/4" behind the transom.The boat doesn't care and performance will not be hampered....[the angle of attack on the ski is not critical as long as the length of the ski is close to the length as shown on the drawings.]

I would be more than happy to talk to you about the boat....send me a PM with a phone number and I will be glad to call you.....

Rod Geraghty
Rod got a question for you????.. Just got a aeromarine .21/.45 stinger rigger.....I had Dave Roach Dan Kramer and Rick Reisinger looked at it.. told me my sponsons are alittle on the heavy side and alittle to wide too..Sudjested me to make new lightweight and narrower sponsons for my rigger...Was wondering if the .45 would work.. The tube is 32" long...I do like the style of the .45 sponsons...

I have been following this for some time and just wanted to take a minute to thank everyone involved in this tremendous effort to get the WORLD boating in a big way !! As far as I know NOTHING like this "project" has ever happened before . THANK YOU !!! Maybe in the near future I can clear some of the stuff out of my garage / shop and build one of these ....kinda waiting for a Twin of course !! :lol: :lol:

1. I am very impressed with your work including friends regarding all the JAE`s - and of course the price of the plans !

2. My question about Zippkits offering a 45, I meant kit - sorry for your confusion - can be difficult for me using a foreign language.

3. Rod you sent me a PM the Dec 21 Rod, which I replied the same day including my phone number.

4. First or ten time builder I like to have all relevant info - like all critical measurements - on the plans, so I dont have to measure directly on the plans or

make calculations - adding or subtracting numbers - to get the actual dimensions.

5. So far I have only seen one picture of a JAE 45 - more pictures would help in making this rigger.

Rod,

What was the all up weight for the 45 prototypes?
The initial weight of the .45 prototype was 4#-13oz............we have made some changes such as raising the ride height by 1/4" and the boat now weighs 5#-1oz. in its final form....

There was no special attempt to build the prototype super light.....we knew it was going to get tortured so it was just built sturdy for testing...

There were no exotic materials used in the prototype....if you were to incorporate some laminated end grain balsa and carbon fiber a boat weighing in the low 4# is definetly possible....

Back