Is This Considered OPC Legal? ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This whole topic is ridiculous!!!! Why mess with a class that was meant to be a simple entry level class. There are plenty of other NAMBA and IMPBA classes that can be butchered to suite the needs of people trying to make a buck off of this hobby. If you can' t hang the power off the back of the boat and make it work.....Then build a better boat!!!

The NAMBA 3.5 outboard hydro record is held by this boat. From that I would assume that something like that layout is NAMBA legal. Since I seem to not be allowed to post pictures, I put the pictures in my gallery.

Lohring Miller
Yes Lohring. Perfect example. This design is one complete unit that was mounted to the vertical transom in the boat. Again, I am speaking to NAMBA OPC rules as was the first question Darin posed in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
This whole topic is ridiculous!!!! Why mess with a class that was meant to be a simple entry level class. There are plenty of other NAMBA and IMPBA classes that can be butchered to suite the needs of people trying to make a buck off of this hobby. If you can' t hang the power off the back of the boat and make it work.....Then build a better boat!!!
Dude... chill. Nobody is trying to change anything. Read more carefully.

With the exception of John Otto's 45 outboard, I don't expect to see any more turn-table outboard in IMPBA races. With that being said, I welcome all thinkers to send me their ideas for any new or. Unusual outboard drives. As some of you may know, I have been helping students from Savannah Tech by giving them things to draw,convert to machine language, do time studies and then CNC or 3D print the parts. They have made several different, crankshaft for me, and I have lower units, crankcases, motor mounts and even a 2-speed gear box. Because the school is "state funded" they can not charge for these services. Wow

Bob my turntable was done the same time as johns it was built legal to the rules , and I also have johns , Ryan has one to . It bin raced at the wtc for the four years.

If I understand your question as 'Is this a legal outboard drive unit' the simple answer is no.

The reason is it, can not be 'locked down'

That's why I love racing twins. Rules are so simple even a caveman can build one and race it.

It's been an interesting read here.

I agree that the unit, as it's presented in the picture, isn't a legal NAMBA Outboard.

However, I think I see a way to make it one. Might pick one of these up just to mess with it... and some of you guys.
default_tongue.png

It's been an interesting read here.

I agree that the unit, as it's presented in the picture, isn't a legal NAMBA Outboard.

However, I think I see a way to make it one. Might pick one of these up just to mess with it... and some of you guys.
default_tongue.png
It can be done within NAMBA rules Darin. Look closely at the picture that Lohring posted of his NAMBA SAW 20 OB Hydro. Four points:

1- One piece removable by simply unbolting from transom

2- Mounted to the vertical transom

3- Not covered by the cowling

4- Follow OPC Outboard Racing rules

Good luck. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Shane,

Florida runs IMPBA and NAMBA races. Bob will have to provide input as to legality for IMPBA, but I can assure you the pic Darin posted is illegal according to NAMBA OPC Tunnel rules. As the current NAMBA Outboard Director, I would not allow this type of design and if someone protested it as illegal at a NAMBA sanctioned event, it would be upheld. Turntable installations mounted flat inside a hull and not on a bracket attached to a vertical transom is also illegal in NAMBA. Thats the reason Lohring went through the steps he did to make sure his extended lower unit mounted to a vertical transom. Joe Calegero's extended lower design had a bracket that would also mount to a transom, making it a legal NAMBA setup as well.

Ask Ron how the outcome of said protest of a turntable boat at the WinterNats 2012 worked out Shane ?

Andy

Shane, Call me or text me. I have some ideas that will help you. Thanks.

As far as my 101 turntable ,it is 100% legal in impba when it was made ,so if something changes now guess you will have to grandfather mine Otto and Ryan's in , they were built to rules of impba.

Shane

You are right about your outboard being "grandfathered". You will have some racers that will argue about my decision, but fair is fair. I have several wild ideas of my own..

Great decision Bob. They were allowed in the past so that was the right decision to "grandfather" those three boats.

Just to correct any impressions about the outboard hydro, it was designed and built by the very talented Mike Bontoft. I believe Rod Geraghty (spelling?) also built a similar outboard.

Lohring Miller

Back