Is This Considered OPC Legal? ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darin Jordan

Can someone tell me if the outdrive arrangement shown in the attached picture is considered OPC TUNNEL Legal??

Not concerned with the "would it work well" question, just the basic legality.

Thanks.

received_1792887347661778.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Leave it to the Aussie
default_tongue.png

Darin , how is it steered ? Not that Im getting in the middle of this one, just curious.
default_wink.png

Technically it IS bolted to the transom so.

Just having some fun...he knows it haha

Your last line is what i am going by also Andy...plus the motor assembly swivels...maybe that is an issues as it does not pivot??

It doesn't meet the "true" definition of an outboard. An outboard should attach to a somewhat verticle transom, from the outside. If used on an IMPBA tunnel, it shall be used to steer the boat. If used on an IMPBA outboard hydro, it may be locked in place, and a separate rudder may be used. The intent is that the outboard shall be mounted to a transom, like a tunnel,

Bob Kensill

IMPBA National Outboard Director

http://www.apba.org/sites/all/files/documents/2016%20OPC%20Rules.pdf

In the APBA (full sized) rule book there is a definition of an outboard motor. page 25 rule 23. Basically is says "unit that is attached to the hull and can be lifted as one unit. No mention of transom or method of steering. An I/O has to have motor and lower drive separated to remove so it doesn't qualify. Just looking for a definition to compare since we are using the "OPC" name for a tunnel.

Does this motor have to be separated from the drive to remove?

Mic

Definition of outboard is outboard. Bolts as one complete unit to the transom and not covered. Can be unmounted and removed as one unit from the transom. I will make sure standard OPC rules apply when it comes to NAMBA and I am sure the same standards will carry over to IMPBA as Bob and I have agreed on this in the past.

NAMBA National Outboard Director.

With a large enough hole in the transom and a mounting plate as part of the unit the one in Darin's example could be removed as "one unit" and qualify as an outboard. Per OPC rules. NAMBA or IMPBA have no clear definition of an outboard in their rule books. They seem to assume you know what an outboard is. That's why I refer to APBA rules as models tend to imitate full size. No where is there a definition of a transom.

Mic

With a large enough hole in the transom and a mounting plate as part of the unit the one in Darin's example could be removed as "one unit" and qualify as an outboard. Per OPC rules. NAMBA or IMPBA have no clear definition of an outboard in their rule books. They seem to assume you know what an outboard is. That's why I refer to APBA rules as models tend to imitate full size. No where is there a definition of a transom.

Mic
Thats true Mic. If part of the transom was removed and the unit could be unmounted as one assembly, and the cowling was cut to completely expose the assembly, it would be more likely to be considered.

I should have remembered that I helped draft the NAMBA FE OPC rules. They clearly define an "outboard". ;-)

i) ii) An outboard is defined as a complete motor and propulsion unit that can be attached to and removed from the outside of the hull as one unit.

Outside of the hull being the key.

Thanks, guys.

I should have remembered that I helped draft the NAMBA FE OPC rules. They clearly define an "outboard". ;-)

i) ii) An outboard is defined as a complete motor and propulsion unit that can be attached to and removed from the outside of the hull as one unit.

Outside of the hull being the key.

Thanks, guys.
BINGO Darin!!!!!...
default_smile.png

. NAMBA or IMPBA have no clear definition of an outboard in their rule books. They seem to assume you know what an outboard is. That's why I refer to APBA rules as models tend to imitate full size. No where is there a definition of a transom.

Mic
Not according to posts 5 and 7 .

Now thats just **** funny right there Darin. LOL You are starting to get a foot in the door of the FROG club. Memory going. Grey hair. Eye site going. Im right there with you buddy.
default_smile.png

BTW, I could make a plate to mount to the regular transom of any outboard and that thing would be legal. Outside, steering with drive, bingo.

Chad,

That subject was brought up a couple of years ago on IW and was beat to death. NAMBA follows OPC APBA outboard tunnel rules and it would be rejected. I am fairly certain it would be rejected within IMPBA as well. Now if you could design a unit that mounts outboard of the hull on the transom as one complete unit, and not covered by the cowling, it would be more likely to be considered. If the engine is not clearly visable outside of the boat, it would be considered I/O.

OPC Rules as they relate to NAMBA outboard rules:

Outboard definition:

An outboard motor is defined as a complete combustion power and propulsion unit that can be attached to a boat and which can be lifted bodily by human power from the hull as one unit.

Outboard mounting definition:

Engine attachment- Engines must remain firmly clamped and/or bolted to the transom at all times.

Looks like it was discussed on OSE as well....

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?52066-TFL-F1-Caudwell-Available!!!

The NAMBA 3.5 outboard hydro record is held by this boat. From that I would assume that something like that layout is NAMBA legal. Since I seem to not be allowed to post pictures, I put the pictures in my gallery.

Lohring Miller

Back