info on dumas sport40 eagel kit...

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That will save the wing, but not hardmounted tails. Hard mounted tails would still either break off or take part of the deck with them, depending on how they are mounted.
HJ. for one I would mount them like the scale guys done to there boats.. tailfins would be bolted with two nylon screws... so if it flips over there screws would snap off without doing harm the the top deck..And Hj I'd tought way ahead of you...before I put the top skins on it ,I did put a hard mount/stuffener for tails fins wing mount up..If I'd changed my mind on mounting them...Joe did that to his oberto gas...Bill that could be an idea on the entire cowl tailfins wing mounted together...Since your on here Bill.. What the advarage weight of a sport40 are weighing at??
Miss Hydro, i honestly dont know for sure, but ill weigh my SS45 and ill let you know...several people have picked up my boat in the past and commented that it felt pretty light...my guess is that mine would be somewhere about the avereage with other boats as i dont really build anything deliberatly to be light...i try to build my boats to be strong enough to take a pounding! :)
And they will take a pounding. Broken wings and damaged boats are to be expected when racing with others. My Dumas Atlas U-76 race ready is at 8 pounds. I assume the Eagle would be right around there just to give ya a ball park figure on weight.

Eight pounds sounds about right for a Dumas if it's had some lightening done while it's being built. My 36" Pak hull, without radio and cowl weighs in at just under 5 pounds so I see a finished weight of between 6 and 6.5 pounds. My goal for my Eagle build will be around 5 to 6 pounds RTR with no fuel. My plan for my Pak 20 kit builds is 4 pounds or less when finished, again without fuel

That will save the wing, but not hardmounted tails. Hard mounted tails would still either break off or take part of the deck with them, depending on how they are mounted.
HJ. for one I would mount them like the scale guys done to there boats.. tailfins would be bolted with two nylon screws... so if it flips over there screws would snap off without doing harm the the top deck..And Hj I'd tought way ahead of you...before I put the top skins on it ,I did put a hard mount/stuffener for tails fins wing mount up..If I'd changed my mind on mounting them...Joe did that to his oberto gas...Bill that could be an idea on the entire cowl tailfins wing mounted together...Since your on here Bill.. What the advarage weight of a sport40 are weighing at??
Miss Hydro, i honestly dont know for sure, but ill weigh my SS45 and ill let you know...several people have picked up my boat in the past and commented that it felt pretty light...my guess is that mine would be somewhere about the avereage with other boats as i dont really build anything deliberatly to be light...i try to build my boats to be strong enough to take a pounding! :)
And they will take a pounding. Broken wings and damaged boats are to be expected when racing with others. My Dumas Atlas U-76 race ready is at 8 pounds. I assume the Eagle would be right around there just to give ya a ball park figure on weight.
RJ, ill bring a scale home from work and weigh my Eagle, SS45, and my U-76 as ive never weighed any of em...should be interesting!

RJ, ill bring a scale home from work and weigh my Eagle, SS45, and my U-76 as ive never weighed any of em...should be interesting!
let me know Bill whats your weighs.. it would give me a ball park...Ok I did make a template or I say a markup on the turbine and tailfins and wing on it.. I like to use poster card board to use as template to see what my stuff looks like..so here it is.. not to bad....I think it makes it look more like an unlimited...hey any of you guys have pics of 87 miss bud? ..need to see the distants between the hull edge sides to tailfins....

Why do you need dimensions? Don't you have any transom shots of the turbine boats? All of them have the tails mounted in the same place. Let me know if you can't figure it out :p

Now wait a minute, you have me totally confused. If you don't know where to put the tails, how did you know where to install tail mounting points, as per what you said in this post:

before I put the top skins on it ,I did put a hard mount/stuffener for tails fins wing mount up

Last edited by a moderator:
let me know Bill whats your weighs.. it would give me a ball park...Ok I did make a template or I say a markup on the turbine and tailfins and wing on it.. I like to use poster card board to use as template to see what my stuff looks like..so here it is.. not to bad....I think it makes it look more like an unlimited...hey any of you guys have pics of 87 miss bud? ..need to see the distants between the hull edge sides to tailfins....
I think more or less where you have your mockups are good, lets ALL remember that with sport 40 it does not have to be scale in size or appearance. it can be based on a real hull or make one up as long as its in the spirit of unlimited hydro racing.

I think more or less where you have your mockups are good, lets ALL remember that with sport 40 it does not have to be scale in size or appearance. it can be based on a real hull or make one up as long as its in the spirit of unlimited hydro racing.
Ok I cut the wood out for the tailfins and wing...also made the fiberglass turbine tube too.. did all this today...I'd taped them on to see how it looks like..So what do you guys think??..Now I got the glue the tubine tube to the cowl and do the mounts on the tailfins and wing..then sand time before I put the finishing epoxy on it..

Ok I cut the wood out for the tailfins and wing...also made the fiberglass turbine tube too.. did all this today...I'd taped them on to see how it looks like..So what do you guys think??..Now I got the glue the tubine tube to the cowl and do the mounts on the tailfins and wing..then sand time before I put the finishing epoxy on it..

Maybe it's just the picture, but the fins look...well...thin.

Maybe it's just the picture, but the fins look...well...thin.

that one sides of the skins,those are ply.. the other sides of the skins are balsa too keep this build as light as possible..I'm working on those balsa skins wright now.. will try to post more pic tonight or tomarrow for sure..

Ok ,I got my .45 Rossi!!!!! :D plus got my turbine tube and tail fins done too..just took alittle break on my eagle..may have to take another break on it again...Got two friends boats to paint..

Man, you got a Rossi!----> :p

Is it possible to hide the upright support brackets inside the fins? If not then its really no big deal, lookin'good.

Man, you got a Rossi!----> :p

Is it possible to hide the upright support brackets inside the fins? If not then its really no big deal, lookin'good.
I can do it,like my boyfriend did on his U-1 Oberto.. need to get a header and tune pipe next for it..

anyone know where i can find a header for the .45 rossi ?or this motor doesnt need a header?

how many coat of epoxy you put on the outside of the hull? one or two coats? I got one on it now..got two eagle builds going on.. the blackone is my boyfriends eagle..I'd mod to cowl scoop openning like the 87 miss bud.. this mod should help push more air into the hole opening to cool of the engine and help push the hot air out of the cowl..

how many coat of epoxy you put on the outside of the hull? one or two coats? I got one on it now..got two eagle builds going on.. the blackone is my boyfriends eagle..I'd mod to cowl scoop openning like the 87 miss bud.. this mod should help push more air into the hole opening to cool of the engine and help push the hot air out of the cowl..
I used Zpoxy finishing resin on my Pay N pak sport 20 hull, what I did was to just pour the epoxy over the wood and used a spreader to spread it around, any excess dripped off the edges, I wiped that off. . I let it set for a few minutes then went over it with a 2" wide brush to even it out. Then let it cure till the next day then sanded it smooth. I used 320 grit first, then wet sanded with 600 and got a very slick and smooth surface. Basically what you want is to fill in the grain of the wood and have a smooth surface ready for paint.

I used Zpoxy finishing resin on my Pay N pak sport 20 hull, what I did was to just pour the epoxy over the wood and used a spreader to spread it around, any excess dripped off the edges, I wiped that off. . I let it set for a few minutes then went over it with a 2" wide brush to even it out. Then let it cure till the next day then sanded it smooth. I used 320 grit first, then wet sanded with 600 and got a very slick and smooth surface. Basically what you want is to fill in the grain of the wood and have a smooth surface ready for paint.
I'd used a 2" foam brush. and brushed my aeromarine epoxy on it.wanted to brush it on to help the wood to soak the epoxy in.. did pre sand the hull with 180...I have it wet sanded with 180 to prime it..I think I got 6-8 ounc of epoxy on it..dont want to make this hull heavy eighter.

Well I dont want to make a big debate about this, but i would rather have a heavier hull, than one that is too light. A light hull does not automatically make it a fast one either. I have seen many hulls that were light blow over too. Cant win races if you blow over, cant win races cause you have to cut back on your speed or you'll risk blowing over.

For example,

A loaded semi truck thats governed Vs. another governed semi thats empty, of course the lighter one gets there faster before the loaded one, however they both have the same top speed. But believe or not, that loaded truck will handle better, and stop in less distance than the empty one.

But isnt that why we experiment with prop changes to get that hole shot out of turns, or for speed in the straights? :blink:

I'm a firm believer in that it's easier to add weight than remove it AND that it's easier to get a light boat to accelerate than a heavy one. Take it for what it's worth and do what you want

ok its in primer now.. still need to put some spot puddy/ICING on areas and reprime and block it out before paint.....

Back