info on dumas sport40 eagel kit...

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misshydro

Ok I'm building a dumas sport40 eagel kit... was wondering what do's and dont's on this boat plus any mods that was done to improve this hull??I got 3/4 of the frame work done.......On the rear trasom corner tail that stickout ,was told that ilegal for IMPBA ..the rear transom has to be clean accross the rear..

Yes, and if you and Hydro Junkie can get along for a min. listen to him, Also you have already went to far, you will have lot's of problems getting that boats butt off the water

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry Larcor, but I'm out on this one. Tried to help on her rigger and we all know what happened. She's on her own as far as I'm concerned since she told me to stay out of her threads.

I hear ya Brotha, LMAO
i agree for a know it all , be all , end all of model boating.. then ask silly questions like i hear being asked it just makes no sense.. a question asked is a good question, ask the same question 3 different ways it is a stupid question..then get mad whe someone tells you how to do it ...and i think it should be done this way.. why are you asking then..get my point fellas?

tk

" is it sponcens...or sponsons?"

" is it sponcens...or sponsons?"

Doesn't matter to me, not my boat. Besides, I know how to spell it right

Yes, and if you and Hydro Junkie can get along for a min. listen to him, Also you have already went to far, you will have lot's of problems getting that boats butt off the water
Gee, that was helpful...

When I did research for my Sport 40, I remember reading that the Dumas Eagle kit was actually pretty good. It did not need the modifications that the other Dumas kits needed.

I built mine for fun not racing so I added the notched transom. If a race comes around and I want to enter it I would bob the tails to be legal. If building the boat for racing, build it out to the end of the boat with the transom wood, making it a longer boat.

Another thing I did was do away with the drain pan flapper idea and built it just as a wet hull with an open drain pan.
gallery_4478_623_283720.jpg

Unbelievable, :(

If someone has nothing positive to say, they should try to restrain themselves and remember that this is a HOBBY that all of us enjoy. Some of us here, have forgotten that. I came onto International waters to learn from others experiences, and apply that to my own, to make my Hobby more enjoyable.

Now, to the best of my knowledge the Dumas Eagle was designed specifically for sport 40 competition. Of course if anyone has anything constructive to add, by all means please put your .2 in..

I personally have built numerous Dumas models over the years and theres nothing wrong with them. The Eagle I think is the most recent Dumas design. I'm not familar with the transom 'tail corner" sticking out though. It should be based on a scale hydroplane. The IMPBA rules are pretty clear.

What I would suggest is to try to lighten up the hull by making some lightening holes in all frames and bulkheads. I bought a right angle drive for my dremel and a router bit and cut holes, then cleaned them up with a drum sander bit....worked out great.

If someone has nothing positive to say, they should try to restrain themselves and remember that this is a HOBBY that all of us enjoy. Some of us here, have forgotten that. I came onto International waters to learn from others experiences, and apply that to my own, to make my Hobby more enjoyable.

Now, to the best of my knowledge the Dumas Eagle was designed specifically for sport 40 competition. Of course if anyone has anything constructive to add, by all means please put your .2 in..

I personally have built numerous Dumas models over the years and theres nothing wrong with them. The Eagle I think is the most recent Dumas design. I'm not familar with the transom 'tail corner" sticking out though. It should be based on a scale hydroplane. The IMPBA rules are pretty clear.

What I would suggest is to try to lighten up the hull by making some lightening holes in all frames and bulkheads. I bought a right angle drive for my dremel and a router bit and cut holes, then cleaned them up with a drum sander bit....worked out great.
cool thanks..i'll do that too.. I'd just finished all my frame work today..!!! :) its ready for the floor pans...but that is missing....I was told it was missing in the first place..going to make one tomarrow or on sat.... was thinking on making the radio box out of fiberglass...

Okay, I'm confused. What's a floor pan? Why do you need to "build" a glass radio box when Dumas integrated a wood one in the hull's design?

I wouldn't use the radio box design that Dumas uses either.

Use the box but forget the push-pull brass linkage they designed. It's a good design but I wouldn't use the materials they are using to make a straight line linkage because of the pivots being just a screw in a drilled hole both ends.

I will try to post some pics of my Eagle this weekend......it doesnt look much like an Eagle by the time i got finished "changing" it! On the top side anyway.....the bottom is stock.....i got this thing about older, open cockpit hydros............ :rolleyes: :p

cool thanks..i'll do that too.. I'd just finished all my frame work today..!!! :) its ready for the floor pans...but that is missing....I was told it was missing in the first place..going to make one tomarrow or on sat.... was thinking on making the radio box out of fiberglass...
Probably stating the obvious, but what ever you do with the radio box, just make sure not to add too much weight.

I would change the depth of the lift blocks on the front (raze them) As it is the bottoms of the lift block tap the water with the boat set at the proper ride.

You do also have to cut off the rear extensions for IMPBA racing.

Also. just me... but do not attempt to lighten the boat..

Grim

I would change the depth of the lift blocks on the front (raze them) As it is the bottoms of the lift block tap the water with the boat set at the proper ride.

You do also have to cut off the rear extensions for IMPBA racing.

Also. just me... but do not attempt to lighten the boat..

Grim
Hey Grim,

I was thinking about grabbing me one of these boats, what is your overall opinion of this hull? as far as lightening the hull, does this hull have a tendency to bounce similar to the dumas U-76 & pay N pak's?

Thx

Here's some pics of my open cockpit Eagle i built over 10 years ago...try not to laugh too hard! The little box in the nose of the boat is for the RX battery, the radio box is behind the engine... I did race it a few times, and it didnt run bad at all...Grim nailed it regarding the front pads..they do slap the water and need to be raised a little...the boat had good speed with the ol KABOOM and turned decent...got on step with no problems...i really should play around with it to see how good it really could be...Nessa, see where i put the fuel tank? Just something for you to think about! :)

Here's some pics of my open cockpit Eagle i built over 10 years ago...try not to laugh too hard! The little box in the nose of the boat is for the RX battery, the radio box is behind the engine... I did race it a few times, and it didnt run bad at all...Grim nailed it regarding the front pads..they do slap the water and need to be raised a little...the boat had good speed with the ol KABOOM and turned decent...got on step with no problems...i really should play around with it to see how good it really could be...Nessa, see where i put the fuel tank? Just something for you to think about! :)
Hi Bill, I like those pics, looks real nice...I see you also use those cabinet latches to secure the cowl...I do the same thing...

Back