info on dumas sport40 eagel kit...

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's some pics of my open cockpit Eagle i built over 10 years ago...try not to laugh too hard! The little box in the nose of the boat is for the RX battery, the radio box is behind the engine... I did race it a few times, and it didnt run bad at all...Grim nailed it regarding the front pads..they do slap the water and need to be raised a little...the boat had good speed with the ol KABOOM and turned decent...got on step with no problems...i really should play around with it to see how good it really could be...Nessa, see where i put the fuel tank? Just something for you to think about! :)
Hi Bill, I like those pics, looks real nice...
Thank you very much RJ...i saw in your post to Grim that you have a U-76....i builtone also...the only mod i made to the bottom was i shallowed the sponsons a little to lower the tunnel depth...it has a CMB Cam 45 in it.I built it almost 3 years ago and i still havent gotten wet yet...im bad about that! :lol: I have pics if you would like to see em! :)

Here's some pics of my open cockpit Eagle i built over 10 years ago...try not to laugh too hard! The little box in the nose of the boat is for the RX battery, the radio box is behind the engine... I did race it a few times, and it didnt run bad at all...Grim nailed it regarding the front pads..they do slap the water and need to be raised a little...the boat had good speed with the ol KABOOM and turned decent...got on step with no problems...i really should play around with it to see how good it really could be...Nessa, see where i put the fuel tank? Just something for you to think about! :)
Thank you very much RJ...i saw in your post to Grim that you have a U-76....i builtone also...the only mod i made to the bottom was i shallowed the sponsons a little to lower the tunnel depth...it has a CMB Cam 45 in it.I built it almost 3 years ago and i still havent gotten wet yet...im bad about that! :lol: I have pics if you would like to see em! :)
cool boat bill....We got the epoxy tonight!!! our friend,more joe's manyhobbies gave us some aeromaine epoxy.. he used it and said its great.....tomarrow were getting the ply for the bottom...I'm hoping to maybe have the bottom skined this weekend.... :) I was thinking the samething about the fuel tank,Bill.......whats the tank size???and how much do I raise the pads ???i'll post pics in a few mins of what is done so far..took pic of it off the jig for a few sec...Hay Bill Now I know why I got two cowls in that kit!....Thinking on using one as a modle to make two epoxy glass version.. can maybe adaped one to work on the A/C sport40?

Last edited by a moderator:
You put a CMB 45 in it and havent ran it yet? Ouch....I would love to see how it would handle with that engine.... :)

I originally had a k&b sport .40 then upgraded to an OPS .45...not bad, it would dance and skip kinda like the real boat did, but never got out of hand...I'm working on a build thread I started over on rcuniverse on my pay n pak 20, again, an ops .21 nib for that one....Let me know later on how your U-76 ran. Show me your pics!

i'm impressed with the design of the eagle hydro. Is that exactally the way it came out of the kit? interesting that the rear bulkheads are lightened, and the sponson inside framing.....I wonder who came up with this design?

cool boat bill....We got the epoxy tonight!!! our friend,more joe's manyhobbies gave us some aeromaine epoxy.. he used it and said its great.....tomarrow were getting the ply for the bottom...I'm hoping to maybe have the bottom skined this weekend.... :) I was thinking the samething about the fuel tank,Bill.......whats the tank size???and how much do I raise the pads ???i'll post pics in a few mins of what is done so far..took pic of it off the jig for a few sec...Hay Bill Now I know why I got two cowls in that kit!....Thinking on using one as a modle to make two epoxy glass version.. can maybe adaped one to work on the A/C sport40?
Nessa, the work you've done so far looks GREAT! Just take your time and enjoy the process! I used a 12oz tank because i ran an older K&B 7.5 drum rotor engine which were not real nitro pigs compared to other motors..if you can go a little bigger, id do it...If Grim has an idea on how much to raise the front steps,i hope he will chime in..mine are still stock..im thinkin if you put the boat on a table in the ride attitude, you would want the transom of the front steps to be just above the transom of rear steps on the sponsons...probably even changing the angle of the front steps would help clear them out of the water....if im wrong about this, hopefully someone will chime in and offer some help! You are doing REALLY GOOD so far Nessa...if you run into a problem and start getting aggravated...JUST WALK AWAY FROM IT for a little while..trust me when i tell you thats the best thing you can do! GOOD JOB GIRL! ;) :)

RJ, the bottom of my Eagle is stock, but i changed the top A BUNCH! It would be far easier to just use the stock cowl that comes with the kit...i just cant leave well enough alone! :lol: Here's some pics of my 20 and 40 Pak....the 20 boat is OLD!!The 40 boat has the dummy engine.....

I like what you did with your Eagle, Bill. If I was building one I would probably.................................nope, not going to say it. Just not worth it.

Bill, Your open cockpit hydros looks great! I like the look of the older hydros better myself.

Misshydro, Your progress looks great. Keep us posted.

RJ, the bottom of my Eagle is stock, but i changed the top A BUNCH! It would be far easier to just use the stock cowl that comes with the kit...i just cant leave well enough alone! :lol: Here's some pics of my 20 and 40 Pak....the 20 boat is OLD!!The 40 boat has the dummy engine.....
Hi Bill,

They both look great. I kinda like the open cockpit look. Thats the thing I like about building wood kits or from scratch. I noticed on your Eagle you omitted the front canards & yeah, the cowl. But hey it looks cool.

I wonder if theres any advantage of using a third servo and making the canards operable?

I want to keep this post on topic but if you would'nt mind, PM me regarding your Pay n pak boats. I would like to know what hardware you got in 'em and how well your boats handled...Thx

I like what you did with your Eagle, Bill. If I was building one I would probably.................................nope, not going to say it. Just not worth it.
CMON NOW!! Inquiring minds want to know! :lol: (especially mine!) :)
just got the ply today.. 17.00 for a 12"X48" piece...plus I got my fuel tank for my rigger too.I got it cut and ready to epoxy in.....the guy a the hobbyshop said he'd built the eagel and used thinner ply on the skins about 1/32.. did the bottom then spray foam in the hull.then cut off the access and glued the top skins on it.....Dont know if I would ever do that.....But our friend want his gas second gen whip built next...Joe looked at that kit...man the frame looks close to 1/16... love how nice and clean the parts are cutout...

Don't be brave and use spray foam. Just get some rigid building foam and hack off something close that will fit in each bay and set it with epoxy or hot melt in a couple spots thats all you'll need.

You're building it as a closed or a sealed hull so no worries. As long as they dont rattle around your okay to deck it.

I have used spray foam and heres the deal with it. You cant squirt a bay and fill it all at once or you're going to distort something. Even if it is open on top and you fill each ajoining bay at the same time to try and equalize the pressure, wrong answer. It does not expand equally and your working with too thin of wood.

You can sneak by like I did and squirt each bottom corner with its own small pool of it and let it expand to the center.

The bay is not full, theres still a hole in the middle, and it sure dont look pretty, but theres foam inside the boat, and its not pushing anything.

Just shoot the hard corners with it and keep the overlap of the blobs to a minimum and live with the air pocket left over.

Do not sand flush and glue to it. Trim the tops so they sit below flush.

If you're that curious Bill, I could tell you in a PM. Don't want to give anyone bad ideas that will bite me later

If you're that curious Bill, I could tell you in a PM. Don't want to give anyone bad ideas that will bite me later
meanning?? he doesnt trust that idea..LOL!!!!!

meanning?? he doesnt trust that idea..LOL!!!!!
No, Misshydro, it means go back to the top of the thread and read my first post again. Then you might understand, but I doubt it

My email gets full because of this type of public conversation?

All shes trying to do is build a boat give a person and in fact all of us a break and back out like you always promise but never can do.

I like the topic of boats and boat building. I waste my time reading some of this. I would like to see it be a bit more kind around here. It's okay to speak your mind but man, don't be harsh and don't target people like that.

All shes trying to do is build a boat give a person and in fact all of us a break and back out like you always promise but never can do.

I like the topic of boats and boat building. I waste my time reading some of this. I would like to see it be a bit more kind around here. It's okay to speak your mind but man, don't be harsh and don't target people like that.
just got the bottom glued on.. using my small guitar amp and my r/c tool/parts box as weight...and claped the front nose too!!! :D the way this thing is going.. I should have it all skined by mid week!! :D

just got the bottom glued on.. using my small guitar amp and my r/c tool/parts box as weight...and claped the front nose too!!! :D the way this thing is going.. I should have it all skined by mid week!! :D
Nessa, before you glue the decks on, be sure you have everything the way you want it inside those areas....tee nuts for motor mounts, tee nuts for turn fin bracket, any kind of hardware.....and be sure to seal all those compartments really GOOD, because once the decks are on and the epoxy is dry, if you forgot to do something inside those areas, things will get COMPLICATED AND AGGRAVATING! It does sound like yer havin a good time with the build! :)

Nessa, before you glue the decks on, be sure you have everything the way you want it inside those areas....tee nuts for motor mounts, tee nuts for turn fin bracket, any kind of hardware.....and be sure to seal all those compartments really GOOD, because once the decks are on and the epoxy is dry, if you forgot to do something inside those areas, things will get COMPLICATED AND AGGRAVATING! It does sound like yer havin a good time with the build! :)
Thanks Bill.. ya I know about having all the stuff inside the hull before I put the top skins on and yes I'm having fun building it too...Was thinking on using a soild wooden motor mounts in it...All my boats have them...I can see rubbers mounts for gas because they vibrate alot more then nitro....I'm going to try to finish putting the sides and sponsons skins on it to day...

Thanks Bill.. ya I know about having all the stuff inside the hull before I put the top skins on and yes I'm having fun building it too...Was thinking on using a soild wooden motor mounts in it...All my boats have them...I can see rubbers mounts for gas because they vibrate alot more then nitro....I'm going to try to finish putting the sides and sponsons skins on it to day...
Ummm...Its not that solid mounts wont work, i have a few boats that have em, but rubber mounts really do help to reduce vibration in a nitro boat also....but its your boat, so do what you think is best! :)

a few pics just for ideas

then again............

Grim

Back