IMPBA District 12 Race #5 Centreville, VA August 26-28th

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know what some of these "weathermen" are looking are but the track keeps shifting WEST!!!!! Hatteras and the Outer Banks are going to get their azzes handed to them-

http://www.nhc.noaa....?large#contents

And this site has been correct all along-

http://www.wxrisk.com/

The one plus is Irene has slowed just a tad so we should be able to knock out 3 rounds on Saturday IF we get an early start (7:45 drivers meeting, racing at 8am) and keep the pace strong with NO waiting. If you're not ready then too bad. Sunday weather is going to SUCK, 60% chance of rain and winds out of the NW at 20mph with higher gusts. The only "sunny" day will be Friday and that's only until about lunchtime. I am one of those people with a non refundable room but if they keep changing the track west you might not see me at all.........
Fortunately I can cancel my room if need be. Considering I am not chasing points at this race the roll of the dice on the weather track (10 different weather sites 10 different forecast models and a bunch of arm chair meteorologists) and the hope that everybody can keep up enough stamina to get in the maximum racing on Saturday almost seems to be an unnecessary risk. Yep, NOAA shows a completely different landfall that is more west than it was list night. Looking at the timing maybe we can get 3 rounds in on Saturday and then, oh joy, we can drive South directly into the cone of probability on the way home. Not sure that is enticing. Yeah, I want to race but what a gamble this is.

I don't know what some of these "weathermen" are looking are but the track keeps shifting WEST!!!!! Hatteras and the Outer Banks are going to get their azzes handed to them-

The one plus is Irene has slowed just a tad so we should be able to knock out 3 rounds on Saturday IF we get an early start (7:45 drivers meeting, racing at 8am) and keep the pace strong with NO waiting. If you're not ready then too bad. Sunday weather is going to SUCK, 60% chance of rain and winds out of the NW at 20mph with higher gusts. The only "sunny" day will be Friday and that's only until about lunchtime. I am one of those people with a non refundable room but if they keep changing the track west you might not see me at all.........
Fortunately I can cancel my room if need be. Considering I am not chasing points at this race the roll of the dice on the weather track (10 different weather sites 10 different forecast models and a bunch of arm chair meteorologists) and the hope that everybody can keep up enough stamina to get in the maximum racing on Saturday almost seems to be an unnecessary risk. Yep, NOAA shows a completely different landfall that is more west than it was list night. Looking at the timing maybe we can get 3 rounds in on Saturday and then, oh joy, we can drive South directly into the cone of probability on the way home. Not sure that is enticing. Yeah, I want to race but what a gamble this is.
I agree with you on that Chris. I have been waiting for this race to get here like everyone else, and playing boats is all I wanted to do this weekend, unfortnately this storm is changing my plans. I am one of the people that has non-refundable hotel reservations, but at this point, I don't think it is worth the risk coming down (at least for me). Being stranded in a hotel room with possible power outages and road closures does not seem like a good plan for the weekend to me........ Looks like I will have to miss out on Carol's Hurricane cookies...... :(

-Kent

Guys, The 11AM forecast continues to push the track of Irene to the west. After an agonizing few days, Carl and Tracy have decided to postpone the race untill the weekend of September 23-25. I know this is a disappointment for some and a few may loose hotel deposits, but the safety of all of our district racers is whats most important. Not only during the race, but on the trip home. If you do have a non refundable hotel deposit, you may be able to reschedule without penalty.

For those that are unable to attend next month, please PM or email Carl so we can get a entry fee refund to you.

We look foward to seeing you all next month. Hopefully with cooler weather, blue skys and a double batch of Carol's cookies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Just checking to see if a decision was made yet. I have concerns similar to Chris's, plus the Air Force is likely going to make me and my fellow RV owners evacuate our place of residence (Military RV Campground) today to avoid being crushed by falling 60 foot pine trees. Mother Nature can be mean! If we race I'll be bringing the ****-Zu lap dog since moma isin TN, am sure that will be fun!! If we don't race I'll be living in the WALMART parking lot for a day or two. Beasley - As soon as I posted this I saw the annoucement, got it, thanks.

you can thank Fracken Irene on this one folks.

and as listed above, the new dates are 23-25th Sept. same place.

Kent, can you get hold for doug twaits and let him know please?

thanks everyone for being so understanding.

we just want to keep everyone safe and in one piece.

you can thank Fracken Irene on this one folks.

and as listed above, the new dates are 23-25th Sept. same place.

Kent, can you get hold for doug twaits and let him know please?

thanks everyone for being so understanding.

we just want to keep everyone safe and in one piece.
I will do that Carl. You guys made the right call.........now i'm going to try to get my non-refundable hotel reservations changed for the new dates...wish me luck on that...lol!

-Kent

Let us know if any of you have problems changing reservations. I'll call the hotel and make sure they understand they will never see a district racer in their hotel again.

I tried to change my reservations by calling days inn directly and they said they could not change the dates for me and said that I have to contact Hotels.com whom I made the reservations through. I have tried to call hotels.com three different times now with looong waits with no assistance as of yet. I am sure they are busy with all of the hotel changes being made because of Irene...........uuughh!!!!! I'm pretty sure the change in dates for my hotel reservations will not happen due to the fine print in "changes and cancellation policies"....here's what it says: "Please note that non-refundable reservations cannot be changed or modified;" And this on my confirmation email:

"This rate is non-refundable and cannot be changed or cancelled - if you do choose to change or cancel this booking you will not be refunded any of the payment."

Looks like i'm eating this one bro........oh well, life goes on....

-Kent

Just an FYI for those interested......I spoke with a service rep. from hotels.com and she told me that even though there is a hurricane coming, Days Inn in Manassas, VA would not let me change the dates and no refund will be credited if I cancelled...... I cancelled my reservation. Looks like the next time I book a hotel, I will no longer use hotels.com OR Days Inn! Lesson learned......

I typically make my reservations via hotels.com and got through with a brief wait. Even though the rate was a "non refundable" deal I opted for the "kill 'em with kindness" approach (well maybe borderline flirting :D ) with the very sweet sounding young lady on the phone and was able to change the dates and pay the difference of the "new" non refundable dates ($27.76 total extra). She put me on hold to call the hotel (Hilton) who declined to make the change at their end but she took care of it on her end. I don't know if it was my flirting or customer history that got it done (I'm betting on the flirting the way I had her thanking me for the kind words by call's end ;) ) but either way they fixed it and I will write hotels.com in regards to her excellent service. See you all in September. B)

I hope I live through the big storm so I can eat all of these cookies my self!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ill probley weigh 400lbs I gonna start now while they are still warm YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMY... Everybody be safe Dick an Carol

i am unable to come to make up date on sept 23-25. any chance it could be on sept 16-18

I typically make my reservations via hotels.com and got through with a brief wait. Even though the rate was a "non refundable" deal I opted for the "kill 'em with kindness" approach (well maybe borderline flirting :D ) with the very sweet sounding young lady on the phone and was able to change the dates and pay the difference of the "new" non refundable dates ($27.76 total extra). She put me on hold to call the hotel (Hilton) who declined to make the change at their end but she took care of it on her end. I don't know if it was my flirting or customer history that got it done (I'm betting on the flirting the way I had her thanking me for the kind words by call's end ;) ) but either way they fixed it and I will write hotels.com in regards to her excellent service. See you all in September. B)

LOL! looks like I talked to the wrong lady...or booked at the wrong hotel in the first place. What hotel are you booked with? I may choose that one next time.....

Okay, I am a Marriott guy and the Courtyard Chantilly was $55 per night on the AAA rate and I was able to cancel up to 6pm on the date of arrival. Same place for the 23rd to 25th is $63. Fairfield Inn is $64. No advance purchase. I like knowing what I am getting. Dick, I said I'd PM my address. I will take some of those off your hands.

Stay safe.

First of all I'm glad everyone got through the storm okay. I know we've got a few members that are still without power. Postponing the race was a good call. The winds were already gusting to 20 by 11AM on Saturday and the rain was coming down at a 45 degree angle. More importantly, the ride home would of been treacherous for those headed back to Tidewater and the Delmarva Peninsula.

Registration is back open!!! We'll call the cutoff midnight on September 20th if that works for Carl. We did have four or five people pull out but we also have some interest from other racers who wish to attend.

Below is the current entries and flyer. Again the race will be held the weekend of Sept 23-25 (Sorry I'm too lazy to edit the flyer again).

Stock Nitro RTR / Novice

Charles Jones

Carol Loeb

Matt Schumacher

William Whetstone

Joe Yang

B / P Mono

Carl Cisneros

Don Ferrette

Dick Loeb

Robin Stebbins

Kent Seal