HOBART 2011

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are already planning HOBART 2011. Race will be the same weekend as this year, weekend after Labor Day. It is very possible that this next year it will be extended to a 4 day race. I really would like to get at least 4 rounds in and because of the volume that say they are coming(new people), I don't see any other way. Let me know your thoughts. I hear that our Australian brothers are coming and that would be GREAT. This year, we had over $15,000.00 in awards and prizes. Next year will be more. What color of car do you want for winning the "Unlimited" class if it grows that much? I have a few shirts left from this years race. One large and 11 2xL's. Cost is $6.00 plus shipping. Email me at [email protected] if you would like one. Also, someone left a milk crate that had fuel, grease and other stuff in it at this year's race. I can tell you where it is if you want to contact me.

Stu Barr
$15,000 in prizes, motors to winners of all classes and the best you could do for the RTR's is a gallon of fuel???? really? Now you joke around about what color of car do you want for the Unlimited class? Yes, I race an RTR and no thats not the only class I race, it is a fun class no matter how much everybody looks down on it. No they dont carry two big greenheads but how bout treating those boaters the same as everyone else. Last year I made the trip without the scale and raced just the RTR, long drive just to race that, they still contribute to your entries. How about a new deuce or something of that sort for those guys? If you can afford to give $500 motors then thats the least you could do. Wasnt able to come this year after attending the first but without trying to be mean, kinda glad I didnt after hearing about it. Again no intentions to mean here just my 2 cents on fairness.
Hey Aaron,

A more commendable approach would have been to call Stu and express your concerns... and the conversation may have went like this... Hey Stu, I think the RTR prizes can be improved upon. I know you may not be big on RTRs and I am sure this is a tremendous undertaking for you so would like to lend you a hand and contact all the RTR vendors, such as Aquacraft, ProBoat, and maybe some of the Hop-Up guys that I use and ask them to donate prizes to your event. Given the size of your event and your good reputation it should be a no brainer for me to get this done for you."

You still have time to redeem yourself and remove the blemish you just put on the RTR guys with such an attitude in the face of hard-core nitro fanatics, especially for a guy that didn't attend.

Many talk the talk... few walk the walk.

Stu has clearly shown us what kind of guy he is? How about you?

The classes that had engines as prizes also paid more for their entry fees.

I know that we're beating a dead horse here but all class winners got a very coveted green winners jacket. Racers will wear these until they're thread-bare. Past winners had theirs hanging under their canopies in a few pits.

Just for the record Roger, I don't think that there were any donations from Pro Boat/Horizon but AquaCraft really comes through every year with a lot of prizes. Stu digs deep into his pocket for engines. Zippkit's also had a lot of donations.

A "lousy" gallon of fuel is better than a $5.00 trophy that many hand out at local races but not to dis them either.

Like I said before, people would show up and race if Stu was just handing out ribbons or an atta boy! Really, it's that kind of race. I don't know how much money I spent just to go there and expect to be an also-ran and don't regret it. I started off with about a Grand in my pocket heading to Hobart with my room already paid for and came home with a little more than gas money. I kind of wish that I had taken more as there were several boats for sale there that I would have loved to sneak into the house!

Having the RTR class there showed the people of Hobart that you don't have to spend a big pile of money to have fun and competitive. The 2 big questions that I was asked countless times was "What do they cost" and "How fast do they go?". A lot of the 3rd most was "Where can I get one?".

Now, ask yourself, why do I race? We know that it's not a money-making hobby/sport right off the bat. Anything that you win is just a plus.

This sounds like a really good time.I would like to start saving for this.Anybody have a estimated cost for this trip from south florida and back.

I would really like to attend.

We are already planning HOBART 2011. Race will be the same weekend as this year, weekend after Labor Day. It is very possible that this next year it will be extended to a 4 day race. I really would like to get at least 4 rounds in and because of the volume that say they are coming(new people), I don't see any other way. Let me know your thoughts. I hear that our Australian brothers are coming and that would be GREAT. This year, we had over $15,000.00 in awards and prizes. Next year will be more. What color of car do you want for winning the "Unlimited" class if it grows that much? I have a few shirts left from this years race. One large and 11 2xL's. Cost is $6.00 plus shipping. Email me at [email protected] if you would like one. Also, someone left a milk crate that had fuel, grease and other stuff in it at this year's race. I can tell you where it is if you want to contact me.

Stu Barr
$15,000 in prizes, motors to winners of all classes and the best you could do for the RTR's is a gallon of fuel???? really? Now you joke around about what color of car do you want for the Unlimited class? Yes, I race an RTR and no thats not the only class I race, it is a fun class no matter how much everybody looks down on it. No they dont carry two big greenheads but how bout treating those boaters the same as everyone else. Last year I made the trip without the scale and raced just the RTR, long drive just to race that, they still contribute to your entries. How about a new deuce or something of that sort for those guys? If you can afford to give $500 motors then thats the least you could do. Wasnt able to come this year after attending the first but without trying to be mean, kinda glad I didnt after hearing about it. Again no intentions to mean here just my 2 cents on fairness.
Hey Aaron,

A more commendable approach would have been to call Stu and express your concerns... and the conversation may have went like this... Hey Stu, I think the RTR prizes can be improved upon. I know you may not be big on RTRs and I am sure this is a tremendous undertaking for you so would like to lend you a hand and contact all the RTR vendors, such as Aquacraft, ProBoat, and maybe some of the Hop-Up guys that I use and ask them to donate prizes to your event. Given the size of your event and your good reputation it should be a no brainer for me to get this done for you."

You still have time to redeem yourself and remove the blemish you just put on the RTR guys with such an attitude in the face of hard-core nitro fanatics, especially for a guy that didn't attend.

REDEEM MYSELF???? WTF? REALLY? Read back just a bit further to my last comment on this subject, that is as much redeeming I'm doing. I've been told by a few of those BIG TIME as you say hard-core nitro fanatics as you call them who's been at this for awhile that the ONLY reason I was out of line was because I wasnt there this year. Put a blemish on the RTR guys? So you gonna hold it against all RTR guys because one person says something?? Sounds like your just like all the rest, probably wouldnt care to see the RTR boats just disappear huh? In case you havent noticed, everybody got their say in on this well over a week ago, sounds to me Mr Hooks that you just wanna stir up some more BS. Sorry if people dont like what I got to say here but this is directed at Mr Hooks, If you dont run an RTR, mind your own business!! Anybody that knows me, knows what kind of person I am, very easy to get along with, just dont care to see a growing class get dumped on. Since when did you become Stu's spokesman? This is already a dead issue, let it go man!

By the way, I care what no one else has to say on this issue, this is the LAST time I comment on this post, so say what ya want, make yourself feel big!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok guys, neutral corners. I am looking at all things for next year. I have heard and looked at all these things. Hobart is the best thing for model boat racing and I do not want any negative things said about this race. PERIOD.

I am member Namba Canada from district 16 so I still think about should go there next year but I will find out that need partner at our club or pitman

Ok guys, neutral corners. I am looking at all things for next year. I have heard and looked at all these things. Hobart is the best thing for model boat racing and I do not want any negative things said about this race. PERIOD.
I hear ya Stu. Im just gunna say that Nobody, I mean NOBODY got dumped on at Hobart. To put it in perspective for those who are on the fence about coming to Hobart next year. My father and I are floating with the idea of getting out of the hobby to pursue some other projects, yet we have both come to the conclusion that if we quit racing, we would still keep a boat to race at Hobart. Sounds crazy, but its true. Its that kind of a race experience that may keep us around the hobby. Its such a good race put on by such good people hosted by an amazing town. I hope it stays in Hobart for many years to come. If it ever moved or just became non-existent, there would for sure be tons of "Remember Hobart" stories floating around. So Im just going to appreciate and be thankful that such a race exists and happens to be less than two hours from my house. :)

Larry Gempp Jr.

Allan, come on down! There doesn't seem to be a shortage of people willing to help out if you need a pit person. If it helps, my son does know some sign language.

Larry, excellent reply!

Anyone seeing all of this and have not been to Hobart know that nobody wants to mess up a great thing that the Indy MBC has going on there! Every racer in attendance was on their best behavior despite what you might have read or thought. It's the thing that makes you proud to say I'M AN RC BOATER!

SHUT THIS THREAD DOWN,TOO MUCH NONSENSE TALK.GO TO THE RACE AND RACE.

Stu Barr
Hey Aaron,

REDEEM MYSELF???? WTF? REALLY? Read back just a bit further to my last comment on this subject, that is as much redeeming I'm doing. I've been told by a few of those BIG TIME as you say hard-core nitro fanatics as you call them who's been at this for awhile that the ONLY reason I was out of line was because I wasnt there this year. Put a blemish on the RTR guys? So you gonna hold it against all RTR guys because one person says something?? Sounds like your just like all the rest, probably wouldnt care to see the RTR boats just disappear huh? In case you havent noticed, everybody got their say in on this well over a week ago, sounds to me Mr Hooks that you just wanna stir up some more BS. Sorry if people dont like what I got to say here but this is directed at Mr Hooks, If you dont run an RTR, mind your own business!! Anybody that knows me, knows what kind of person I am, very easy to get along with, just dont care to see a growing class get dumped on. Since when did you become Stu's spokesman? This is already a dead issue, let it go man!

By the way, I care what no one else has to say on this issue, this is the LAST time I comment on this post, so say what ya want, make yourself feel big!!
Wow! Let me first, issue a formal apology to you and to Stu. For those who know ME I am not one to stir up such things, as you say, as I don't even use such words in my vocabulary.

My message was partly in jest but I do recognize that tone and sincerity is hard to judge when typed up. My intent was merely to point out a better way to resolve a problem rather than to complain. Not only for you but for all people reading, as I see this a regular problem in our hobby/sport. (Too many people complaining, not enough doing) Also since I often here such low opinion of RTRs, Yes, just as in life a person's few bad experiences tends to shape people's entire outlook in that particular area, I thought your comments could make everyone reading them think poorly of ALL RTR guys. This is not me... this is the just tendency of man as a whole. I am sure we all know this. But in retrospect I should followed the advice I gave you and sent you a private message instead.

BTW I do have an RTR. I host the only race in my district (Northern Cali, Northern Nevade and Utah) that includes them. I did this because of complaints from the RTR community for not being included. Despite my effots my RTR is the only one I know of. I even got our small practice pond back more specificaly to promote RTRs in our area as the big block twins are perhaps too fast for the small pond compared to when I started racing them at 14 years old almost 25 years ago.

Although it is bit far for you, I'm sure, you are very welcome to join us at my race in February. You are certainly welcome. We do give away RTRs there. :D :)

Once again my apologies.

Stu Barr
Hey Aaron,

Wow! Let me first, issue a formal apology to you and to Stu. For those who know ME I am not one to stir up such things, as you say, as I don't even use such words in my vocabulary.

My message was partly in jest but I do recognize that tone and sincerity is hard to judge when typed up. My intent was merely to point out a better way to resolve a problem rather than to complain. Not only for you but for all people reading, as I see this a regular problem in our hobby/sport. (Too many people complaining, not enough doing) Also since I often here such low opinion of RTRs, Yes, just as in life a person's few bad experiences tends to shape people's entire outlook in that particular area, I thought your comments could make everyone reading them think poorly of ALL RTR guys. This is not me... this is the just tendency of man as a whole. I am sure we all know this. But in retrospect I should followed the advice I gave you and sent you a private message instead.

BTW I do have an RTR. I host the only race in my district (Northern Cali, Northern Nevade and Utah) that includes them. I did this because of complaints from the RTR community for not being included. Despite my effots my RTR is the only one I know of. I even got our small practice pond back more specificaly to promote RTRs in our area as the big block twins are perhaps too fast for the small pond compared to when I started racing them at 14 years old almost 25 years ago.

Although it is bit far for you, I'm sure, you are very welcome to join us at my race in February. You are certainly welcome. We do give away RTRs there. :D :)

Once again my apologies.
Apology accepted and yes your right, it is hard to judge when typed and not spoken. My original intent was not really to dump on Stu or the Hobart race, It was just a little upsetting to know that kind of money being put up for a race and it just seems like the RTR guys are always getting the raw end of the deal, it wasnt really about the prizes, it just seemed a little disrespectful to RTR's, like a slap in the face, like they weren't worthy of a good prize. And yes guys and gals, I do know what we come to race for, good time, good friends, good racing and everything else is a plus, well aware of that. I had a wonderful time at the first race and really hoping I can go back next year after having to miss this one. Thanks for the invite to your race in February, Although it is a little far, it would be fun. Thanks for all your doing for the RTR's in your area. We are working on new rules here in Dist. 14 to make it even better after having 19 show up at our last race. Anybody who runs an RTR in Dist 14, your comments and suggestions would be appreciated and helpful in the IMPBA forum under Dist 14.

Allan, come on down! There doesn't seem to be a shortage of people willing to help out if you need a pit person. If it helps, my son does know some sign language.

Larry, excellent reply!

Anyone seeing all of this and have not been to Hobart know that nobody wants to mess up a great thing that the Indy MBC has going on there! Every racer in attendance was on their best behavior despite what you might have read or thought. It's the thing that makes you proud to say I'M AN RC BOATER!
Hi Ron I will keep in my mind so will contact you next year thanks Allan :)

Stu,

Weather is getting cold,and we need something to keep us warm,, when we gonna get our hard earned GREEN JACKET? i heard this is better than towel. B) ..just teasing guys :p

jul

Stu,

This is Don's better half. I know running a big race is time consuming and stressful. Especially a few days before. Trying to please everyone will never happen and there will always be someone who knows better. You asked for us to give you ideas and I have heard a few good ones. I really liked going to Hobart last year was my second time. My first year there was RTR. This year I ran a Sport 20. I think your main question and it has gotten lost is 3 days or 4. Our whole family races. 3 days is all we can do. As it is my son has to miss one day of school. Taking him out for two is just not going to happen and I would really hate to miss such a wonderful race. I do have a suggestion though. Maybe you could run any class that has large entry amounts the first day of a 4 day event then add the smaller classes the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th days. Now this means that the bigger classes will run less on the remaining days. As it was there were several classes that didn't even run on the last day of racing last year. Also you could set the minimum boat needed to make a class to 6 or 12 then you will know that there have to be enough there to cover the cost. I know that may mean that people register and a class may never come together but that is racing guys. I would miss racing but I would much rather register and not get in than show up and run a 3 or 4 boat heat. I want to race. I like the competition. 6 boats make a much more interesting run than 2 running and it isn't even a race. I love it when the heat starts and everyone is coming down for the start. That is when the blood is pumping even for the spectators. To see 6 boats take that first turn is awesome. Hobart is so set for the crowd to get a great view of the whole track. If it works out that you keep Sport 20 and RTR and a 3 day race you will certainly see me again next year. If not I hope you have a great time and lost of great racing. Thank for all you do to put that race together.

I would race 3 or 4 days doesnt matter to me. I am just happy to race with more of the best racers around, Always top notch people.

Thank You Stu,Bruce,Paula and Kyle :)

Paul

.Where i come from who cares about the prize. we dont get a Special prize for in the Tunnel Champs, Fall Nats thats not why we go racing we try to be the best so if you are going to the event and ***** about what prize you get you need to stay the hell Home Period my 2 cents..

julian

Latest posts

Back