Help With Karleson Roundnose Blow-Over Blues

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Strange

As the title states, I am looking for some help with a blow-over issue with a Karleson Roundnose that obviously likes to blow over. THis particular hull has no air trap other than what is created by the roundnose and the sponsons them selves.

I know that dropping the strut, putting a little down angle in the strut, and adding weight to the front may help with the issue. I have added about 8 ounces of weight to the front, which, during testing seemed to help. During racing situations however, it is obvious that something else needs to be done.

This hull previously (from a previous owner) had a wiper blade installed about six inches from the nose.

1) Are there any performance/handling issues that such an installation may create? Loss of speed...quirkiness in cornering etc.?

2) What is the best way to mount the blade?

3) Are there different ways to position the blade...such as using a "V" shape rather than running it straight across between the sponsons?

4) Any other ideas?

As always, any input will be greatly appreciated. Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
As the title states, I am looking for some help with a blow-over issue with a Karleson Roundnose that obviously likes to blow over. THis particular hull has no air trap other than what is created by the roundnose and the sponsons them selves.

I know that dropping the strut, putting a little down angle in the strut, and adding weight to the front may help with the issue. I have added about 8 ounces of weight to the front, which, during testing seemed to help. During racing situations however, it is obvious that something else needs to be done.

This hull previously (from a previous owner) had a wiper blade installed about six inches from the nose.

1) Are there any performance/handling issues that such an installation may create? Loss of speed...quirkiness in cornering etc.?

2) What is the best way to mount the blade?

3) Are there different ways to position the blade...such as using a "V" shape rather than running it straight across between the sponsons?

4) Any other ideas?

As always, any input will be greatly appreciated. Tim
What prop are you running? More than likely you will have to use a 1400 series Octura or some kind of lifting prop. You might then be able to run the strut flat or with 1-2 degrees of angle.

Hey Tim!

I think we need more info. Is this 1/8 scale or ? - where is the C.G. - what is the weight (RTR) - what prop - what is the sponson depth from the base line - and, most importantly, what is the shape of the bottom. As far as the wiper blade - put it on your car. All it does for your boat is create another variable by adding unwanted turbulence - IMO :)

Larry

Tim,

What hull is it - from Newton plans, one of Phil's ???

Show some pics of hull on a flat table resting on sponson touch and strut - hang the turn fin and the rudder over the edge of the table so we can see ride angle.

Take some pics of the hull bottom so we can see what is there as far as angles, surface areas are concerned. CHEERS !!! Bob

After racing Steve Muck, MTO, and a wood round nose scale hulls, I'd say that 8 ounces is not enough weight up front.

I would put at least 8 ounces in the front of the left sponson and more than 8 ounces in the nose. The MTO hull needed more than a pound of lead in the nose, plus some in the left sponson.

Also, the boats ran best with 1400 series, 3 bladed props.

At speed there is so much air captured under the hull that just when it looks like it is running great, here comes the spectaculaor blow-off.

Al Hobbs

Lots of good suggestions already- I have 1/8 scale built from Newton plans and had the same problem. I moved the CG to 3/4" behind the sponsons. Did this by moving radio and fuel tanks around. In oher words without adding weight to the boat. That helped a lot. The final solution was running three blade X series props. I had Andy Brown do a few of them for me. X460 three blade with his tricks and its a real screamer with no tendancy to blow over. X457 3 blade also works well.

It happens to be a 1/8 scale Phil Thomas hull...the early version...I think he modified the bottom under nose a bit on the current version. It has a single 20 ounce tank as far forward as it can go in the nose. With the added weight and no fuel the CG is an inch or so aft of the rear of the sponsons. If I remember correctly, it balanced just at the rear of the sponsons with fuel. Strut depth is about 1 1/4 inch with a slight hint of down. The bottom of the hull is pretty flat from the bow all the way to the transom.

Powered by CMB greenie turning a Prather S255 prop. It is pretty quick and handles well in the turns and straight away as is...except for the tendency to blow-over of course.

I really want to avoid adding any more weight if possible. I also don't see adding weight to the Left sponson since the hull shows no sign of torquing in the straights or the corners (with the S255 prop).

I have 1457, x457/3 and another x455 (my other one is at the bottom of the lake) on order.

It happens to be a 1/8 scale Phil Thomas hull...the early version...I think he modified the bottom under nose a bit on the current version. It has a single 20 ounce tank as far forward as it can go in the nose. With the added weight and no fuel the CG is an inch or so aft of the rear of the sponsons. If I remember correctly, it balanced just at the rear of the sponsons with fuel. Strut depth is about 1 1/4 inch with a slight hint of down. The bottom of the hull is pretty flat from the bow all the way to the transom.

Powered by CMB greenie turning a Prather S255 prop. It is pretty quick and handles well in the turns and straight away as is...except for the tendency to blow-over of course.

I really want to avoid adding any more weight if possible. I also don't see adding weight to the Left sponson since the hull shows no sign of torquing in the straights or the corners (with the S255 prop).

I have 1457, x457/3 and another x455 (my other one is at the bottom of the lake) on order.
8 oz of lead in a round nose is nothing. A few trips to the lake and small strut adjustments work wonders. Round nose boats pack air just like tunnels,your after a controlled air bleed and the wiper blade has worked very well. I tried many 1400 series props before I found a good P255 that settled the boat I have down.......Scribe your strut and document all changes........

8 oz of lead in a round nose is nothing. A few trips to the lake and small strut adjustments work wonders. Round nose boats pack air just like tunnels,your after a controlled air bleed and the wiper blade has worked very well. I tried many 1400 series props before I found a good P255 that settled the boat I have down.......Scribe your strut and document all changes........
Interesting topic, I have a MTO 1/8 scale, It's not a light boat but it runs well @ 5200" elevation. Bottom of strut to hull is 1 7/8". Also have a RN Karleson PT spt. 40 hull. One thing I've noticed about both- You have to have the strut lower than pickle fork boats. I have a 5/16" air dam on the MTO and will not remove it- The boat has a tendency to lift the left sponson at the end of the straights. I try to get hydros to balance 1/2"- 3/4" behind the sponsons WITHOUT FUEL. A smallerl prop may serve you better for heat racing. Also got a driving tip- do not chop The throttle suddenly- the round nose boats do not pack as much air under the rear of the hull and if it drops suddenly- blow over . Hope this is some help. Glenn

All very good information!

Definitely will scribe a mark in the strut if I dare move it so I can get it back to where it was...since a certain very knowledgeable somebody set the strut where it is now! I may drop the strut just a little to start.

Glenn, I am certain that at least one blow-over occurred from chopping the throttle...so I definitely need to watch out for that!

Also, what are you using for that 5/16" air dam? pics?

All very good information!

Definitely will scribe a mark in the strut if I dare move it so I can get it back to where it was...since a certain very knowledgeable somebody set the strut where it is now! I may drop the strut just a little to start.

Glenn, I am certain that at least one blow-over occurred from chopping the throttle...so I definitely need to watch out for that!

Also, what are you using for that 5/16" air dam? pics?
It is a clear plastic angle that the previous owner Installed with supervisor tape (two faced). It was about 3/8-7/16' when I got the boat but cut it I cut it to 5/16". I live at a much higher Alt. than the prev. owner- maybe should not have trimmed it- as it lifts the left sponson at the end of the straights but the fin sucks it back down in the corners(so far). Do not be afraid to add weight or try a 1400 series 3 Blade prop. P.M. your e-mail and I'll send a pic............. Glenn