Hull Twist- Backlash

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Jones

Supporting Member
I put the the main bottom on my Backlash hull the other night and when I unclamped it, there is a 1/4 in twist. If you are viewing from the transom, the right side lifts up about 1/4 in. When you push it down the right sponson lifts up as the boat flattens out. I think the issue stems from having to correct the front end veering off center and having to push it over and clamp on the center line before glueing. I made precise measurements and drew pencil lines to use as a guide. The boat sat as flat as could be on the building board. I used thin ca to attach the bottom because the mating surfaces were just perfect. I would then seal with epoxy after erasing the lines.

Anyway, with that background out of the way, I don’t really want to tear anything apart. I’ve read on these boards that the twist can be corrected when attaching the decks. At first, I thought just clamping to the board and attaching with epoxy would do it. But I read something about OVER compensating. I‘d appreciate if someone could walk me through this. On the side of the transom that’s touching the building board, put a 1/2 (2x distance of the twist) in drill bit (or whatever) under, Then clamp or weight everything down. Then attach BOTH tops with the drill bit there? Or attach the right decking, unclamp and remove drill bit, reclamp, and attach left deck?

These are obviously the issues of someone that hasn’t built a boat in 20 years. In hindsight I probably should have filed some of the slots as they went together pretty tightly and I assumed the front was as square as the rest of the boat. This is no reflection on the kit, laser cutting is awesome.

I appreciate any help you guys can give.

Rich

If the deck is off you can try clamping the boat down with the shim and using a heat gun warm the hull and leave it overnite. The sealing epoxy will soften with heat.

Brad

Dampen the hull with water, warm and clamp down overnight with the shims.
After it is completely dry (a day or two), release the clamps, let the hull relax and this will tell you how much more you need...if any.
If straight then attach the deck. If not then repeat until it is straight. It will straighten up.

Charles

Just an update. I dampened the hull with a spray bottle, heated up with a heat gun, and clamped overnight with a drill bit twice the size of the twist under the opposite side of the transom. Again I have built this hull with Ca to this point, no epoxy. I did this a total of 3 times over the coarse of a few days. Each time it improved the twist a bit, and I was able to shim with progressively smaller bits. At this point there is still a little bit of a twist but pretty negligible. I believe when I clamp the hull down and attach the decks with epoxy that it should completely go away. Thanks again for the help guys!

BEB6C0E9-2CA3-4057-8EF3-0002AC7B3426.jpeg444A2C19-3297-46CF-B79C-91935B1375C0.jpeg23200788-40D8-41CD-A9EE-D34B0FE0EB82.jpeg

Do not worry about the twist with the decks off. Repeat, do not worry about the twist with the decks off. The hull at this point is like a wet noodle. After you put the decks on it will become a brick. I always put both sides on at the same time. I put the hull on a flat build board that the width is smaller than the transom then use large rubber bands that go around the entire hull. I also put blocks (1"X1"X1 1/2")on the deck close to the engine rails so the rubber bands holds that inward side of that deck down. Incapsulate the blocks with box tape or use waxed paper to prevent any sticking to the hull where the epoxy runs out. You're welcome.

Do not worry about the twist with the decks off. Repeat, do not worry about the twist with the decks off. The hull at this point is like a wet noodle. After you put the decks on it will become a brick. I always put both sides on at the same time. I put the hull on a flat build board that the width is smaller than the transom then use large rubber bands that go around the entire hull. I also put blocks (1"X1"X1 1/2")on the deck close to the engine rails so the rubber bands holds that inward side of that deck down. Incapsulate the blocks with box tape or use waxed paper to prevent any sticking to the hull where the epoxy runs out. You're welcome.
Good tips thanks Bob!

Don't forget to seal with epoxy before you deck her over .
Will do Tom. Do you seal the inside of the hull with straight up epoxy or do you thin with Denatured Alcohol? What I was going to do, since I’ve used entirely CA to this point is put filets in all the joints( epoxy and the silica filler) , let that cure, then seal the rest of the inside with thinned epoxy, wiping out any excess after letting it soak in. Does that sound like a plan or would you just brush straight epoxy in there and don’t worry about the filets?

I put the the main bottom on my Backlash hull the other night and when I unclamped it, there is a 1/4 in twist. If you are viewing from the transom, the right side lifts up about 1/4 in. When you push it down the right sponson lifts up as the boat flattens out. I think the issue stems from having to correct the front end veering off center and having to push it over and clamp on the center line before glueing. I made precise measurements and drew pencil lines to use as a guide. The boat sat as flat as could be on the building board. I used thin ca to attach the bottom because the mating surfaces were just perfect. I would then seal with epoxy after erasing the lines.

Anyway, with that background out of the way, I don’t really want to tear anything apart. I’ve read on these boards that the twist can be corrected when attaching the decks. At first, I thought just clamping to the board and attaching with epoxy would do it. But I read something about OVER compensating. I‘d appreciate if someone could walk me through this. On the side of the transom that’s touching the building board, put a 1/2 (2x distance of the twist) in drill bit (or whatever) under, Then clamp or weight everything down. Then attach BOTH tops with the drill bit there? Or attach the right decking, unclamp and remove drill bit, reclamp, and attach left deck?

These are obviously the issues of someone that hasn’t built a boat in 20 years. In hindsight I probably should have filed some of the slots as they went together pretty tightly and I assumed the front was as square as the rest of the boat. This is no reflection on the kit, laser cutting is awesome.

I appreciate any help you guys can give.

Rich
This is terrible. Go back to the jig and maybe flex it the other way

Back