Gorilla Glue

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Radz

Anybody have any experience using Gorilla Glue for wood boat building?

Later!

Ed Radz

I have and it can be hard to deal with.... #1 rule do not add water to one side of the wood....FOAMS !!! #2 A little goes a long way !!!! #3 The only way to laminate wood or wood to foam.... #4 Have plenty of clamps ready to use !!!!!!!!!!

#5 It will not come off skin,you wear it off !!! #6 Slower cure time...

You will build the lightest boat of your life !!!

Butch :)

waterbug said:

103209[/snapback]

Butch,

I was told not to buy it because it was too heavy to use for 1/8 scales. I used it for another project and it is tough to deal with though that's for sure.

How do they extract the glue from the Gorilla's? On second thoughts - i Don't want to know! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tim_Duggan said:
How do they extract the glue from the Gorilla's? On second thoughts - i Don't want to know!  :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:
103235[/snapback]

No dramas when they are dehydrated gorillas.... just filter all the yellow lumps out (dehydrated bananas)...

waterbug said:

103209[/snapback]

Butch,

I was told not to buy it because it was too heavy to use for 1/8 scales. I used it for another project and it is tough to deal with though that's for sure.

103228[/snapback]

It's only heavy if you use too much. I do not scratch build boats but I've used it on other household projects and I'll say the bond is the strongest I've used. An article in Wood Magazine rated it better than West Systems. A well known tunnel builder uses a similar glue on his boats.

EatMyShortsRacing said:
Personally I have never had to glue gorillas together so I havent tried it either....
103234[/snapback]

:lol:

Personally I would not see the point. If you do something to a wood boat to break a regular epoxy bond then you will usually have many other problems. That, and why increaese curing time? Life's to short, go run a boat. ;)

Pro-Bond.. fantastic stuff..

We do not use it on the wood to wood joints just the wood to foam..

The penetration of the adhesive is second to none.. Epoxy does not even come close.. When the glue expands it forces its way into the wood and foam.. It takes a lot a pressure to contain the bond but is well worth the effort..

We use this adhesive to bond the sheeting to the center section of our Villain S1 kit.. We had to build special jigs to hole the parts and it takes about 75lbs of force to stabilize the parts as the glue expands.

When its done the parts cut clean, sand good and dont dull blades.. it does not come off your hands as stated before but its low odor and tough as nails..

The reason we do not use it any place else is the glue can get out of control fairly fast.

ROCK ON

Grim

Hi Guys,

About the "won't come off your hands" thing..........

Some auto parts stores and most paint, as in house paint, stores will sell "Liquid Gloves" .

It comes in an overgrown toothpaste tube and you use it like hand lotion. It lets you get messy and then soap and water melt away the Liquid Gloves, and anything that's on top of it.

Great stuff for lots of things.......... like using epoxy, painting, changing oil on the car.....

I do a lot of plumbing work, and the black "goo" that is in old drain pipes stains your skin worse than anything, so I keep a tube of Liquid Gloves in my plumbing tool box.

Just a thought,

Bob the Fool :blink:

I use Probond same stuff as Gorilla glue.The trick is to have some laquer thinner if it gets on your hands.I like latex gloves.Its great for building hulls out of wood takes time to cure buts real strong.It dont clog sand paper takes stains is waterproof a 4oz bottle will build any hull with some left over.Have clamps tape rubber bands anyting thing to hold it together.If it foams out on you take a razor knife to trim it then sand.I just built a whiplash hydro with it airborned it at 60 mph tore the cowling loose but no damage.Nice thing is you can get it a most anystore.

Foolwitools said:
I do a lot of plumbing work, and the black "goo" worse than anything, so I keep a tube of Liquid Gloves in my plumbing tool box.
Just a thought,

Bob the Fool :blink:

103319[/snapback]

Bob,

you missed spelled "poo" :lol: :lol:

EatMyShortsRacing said:
Personally I have never had to glue gorillas together so I havent tried it either....
103234[/snapback]

That's funny, I had to read it twice. The first time I just read "I never tried it"....I get it now... :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back