Sealing a Wood Boat

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the early days of boat building Hobbypoxy was the glue of choice. Then I started using MAS epoxy and again built a strong hull. Being real old school it's hard to accept a white glue to make a strong joint and being waterproof to boot. I know Zipp kits recommends Titebond also. Do you think hull frame is just as strong using Titebond 3? The advantage would be the much lower in price and a quicker cure time if as strong as an epoxy frame work.

Back years ago system three had a trial kit gave you there epoxy and all kinds of fillers and additives Gloves mixing cups and applicators.Was a great deal.I have used mas west system hobby shop brands of epoxy Amazon epoxy’s I like west systems with the pumps the best but it’s expensive.First time I tried there fast hardner it’s fast if you don’t use it right away it will start harding in the mixing cup.I also have the special hardner for sealing and the pump just not there yet still got the front sponsons to build.

Attachments

• IMG_0558.jpeg
    IMG_0558.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
West 105/207 works great, Also Bob Smith makes a great finish epoxy. You might consider Titebond 3 for assembly Using it for the first time and will never use anything else for frames
Hi Mike! How long does it take for the Tite bond 3 to set up after you have applied it? I read that it is waterproof after it dries..............ive never used it. Thanks!

I used titebond III on my last build it works great and is incredibly strong. I was skeptical at first but it really is good for boats. Ive hit a buoy 3x at over 60mph it doesnt budge. takes few hours to setup. for sealing I use BSI cause west systems is nearly $200 I think last I looked vs $35 for large size BSI finishing epoxy. If you got the money go west systems.

this is extremely important: when you seal you want to thin it to water consistency and then rub it into the wood with gloves on of course. massage it in and help it absorb. give it 10-15 minutes to soak into the fibers. Then you scrape everything with a credit card or bondo applicator while it is still wet. get as much off as possible. then use blue shop towels and wipe it down (blue towels dont leave paper debris). let it cure, scrape the dried first coat with a razor, and repeat one more time. what this does is leave you with a much smoother finish that is also lighter. without scraping it dries thick and wavy.

There is also MAS epoxies that are similar to west systems but less expensive. Ive seen boats built with it and they look pretty good.

Last edited:
I used titebond III on my last build it works great and is incredibly strong. I was skeptical at first but it really is good for boats. Ive hit a buoy 3x at over 60mph it doesnt budge. takes few hours to setup. for sealing I use BSI cause west systems is nearly $200 I think last I looked vs $35 for large size BSI finishing epoxy. If you got the money go west systems.

this is extremely important: when you seal you want to thin it to water consistency and then rub it into the wood with gloves on of course. massage it in and help it absorb. give it 10-15 minutes to soak into the fibers. Then you scrape everything with a credit card or bondo applicator while it is still wet. get as much off as possible. then use blue shop towels and wipe it down (blue towels dont leave paper debris). let it cure, scrape the dried first coat with a razor, and repeat one more time. what this does is leave you with a much smoother finish that is also lighter. without scraping it dries thick and wavy.

There is also MAS epoxies that are similar to west systems but less expensive. Ive seen boats built with it and they look pretty good.
I use the white box of rags about the same as blue but is white

I have switch from west system to using total boat epoxy for building and finishing the out side and it sand so nice and does'nt load up your sand paper
like west system.And it is cheaper than west comes with the pumps when you get the epoxy kit.

Bob smith 20 minute, mix small batches install with foam brush.you got to be ready when you mix. 24 hr cure time 10 minute work time if small batches 1/2 is small batch. Do small area if not experienced.

The best I have found in 30+ years

Total Boat PENETRATING 2 part epoxy
Sold by Jamestown Distributors.

EXCELLENT PENETRATION.
Sands better than West Mas epoxies even if thinned.

THEN I spray clear PPG, sand and paint or another clear coat for natural look

Attachments

• IMG_2711.jpeg
    IMG_2711.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2677.jpeg
    IMG_2677.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0361.jpeg
    IMG_0361.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1
We do it like Doc does.
Epoxy finishing resin brushed on, being sure to get everything sealed well.
Wipe off as much as you can with paper shop towels.
Allow to cure, then scrape with utility knife blade.
If painting, we use white primer. If the boat has any white, we just clear over the primer. Saves time and weight.
If not painting, we spray 2 part clear over the epoxy for UV resistance.
Epoxy will darken quickly in the sun. Clear coat preserves the natural blonde color.

Finish 1 on Amazon is excellent clear coat. Goes over anything.

We do it like Doc does.
Epoxy finishing resin brushed on, being sure to get everything sealed well.
Wipe off as much as you can with paper shop towels.
Allow to cure, then scrape with utility knife blade.
If painting, we use white primer. If the boat has any white, we just clear over the primer. Saves time and weight.
If not painting, we spray 2 part clear over the epoxy for UV resistance.
Epoxy will darken quickly in the sun. Clear coat preserves the natural blonde color.

Finish 1 on Amazon is excellent clear coat. Goes over anything.
Does Finish 1 hold up to nitro, or best for gas/electric boats only?

Back