Sealing a Wood Boat

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don,, that would be nice.. (yep.. I wish that was my case).. for me it goes like this. BTY, very sorry to hear this....

I get an exposure.. (just walking in a room were it being used) I can tell.. I can smell it.. (Smells like a burnt Bagel)
The next morning.. I can not get out of bed. I have to roll out as the pain in my chest is overwhelming
I cant breath well and each intake causes tremendous pain.
It takes WEEKS to go away.

Then

When I do use epoxy.. I have to put on my Fresh air system, Turbine in the house.. hose out the door.. space suit on... and do the work OUTSIDE.. then after 12 or so hours I can approach the item.. (Gang.. I live in WI.. that just do not work in the winters here!)

SO.. thats why Phil Builds my sport boats, (big B glues them at his house), I build VERY VERY little boats anymore.. (I dont need Epoxy with helicopters and trains, so I do allot of that now)

Polyester Resin has NO effect on me.. (THANK GOD!!!!)

Just know.. you are SPINNING THE CHAMBER with epoxies.. lets hope you all keep missing!

Grim

I've been building model boats for 40+ years now with no problems with epoxy.......But i will FULLY TAKE YOUR ADVICE!! Many thanks Grim and Don for sharing! Just ordered a 3M full face respirator with organic vapor filters for EPOXY fumes, nitrile gloves and some disposable chemical suits. I used to load spray planes with Dibrom for mosquito control so im all too aware of proper protection from chemicals!

Last edited:
I've only used ACP Epoxy for all my building. They no longer sell it. Tried Fiberglast - no good. Won't use West as all the boats I've repaired over the years that was built with West were all very brittle.

Question for the guys using the Resin Reasearch. The smallest package I find is a 3 gallon kit. Seems a bit much. Is that how you are buying it? Or is there a distributor breaking it down into smaller sizes?

Also - in reading up on the West Systems, they recommend not thinning it, as this reduces the moisture protection. I stopped thinning my ACP a few years back.

Thanks Doug

Last edited:
Polyester resin works well BUT air inhibition is necessary. (I am BLOWN away how well that works.)

In the end.. it just has to work and not kill ya doing it!..LOL

I've only used ACP Epoxy for all my building. They no longer sell it. Tried Fiberglast - no good. Won't use West as all the boats I've repaired over the years that was built with West were all very brittle.

Question for the guys using the Resin Reasearch. The smallest package I find is a 3 gallon kit. Seems a bit much. Is that how you are buying it? Or is there a distributor breaking it down into smaller sizes?

Also - in reading up on the West Systems, they recommend not thinning it, as this reduces the moisture protection. I stopped thinning my ACP a few years back.

Thanks Doug
https://fiberglasssupply.com/resin-...xC4u0XXQHdW6Qy7AvnObh8lirSbONsNSYtezficzGbIwo

Read chapter 10 Safety in the Gougeon Brothers on Boat Construction. I have a signed first edition that's somewhat different than the latest version. It is by far the best book on wood boat building with epoxy resins. It's not just epoxy resins that are an issue.
https://www.westsystem.com/instruction/the-gougeon-brothers-on-boat-construction-book/Also look at the West site for safety instructions.
https://www.westsystem.com/safety/
We used PRO-SET resins for laminating, not the standard West resins, for the epoxy glass Leecraft tunnels. They are specifically designed for layup.

Lohring Miller

thanks Lohring..

Ya know.,. when I called the guy about the turbine fresh air system.. his comment was

"you were supposed to call me before you became sensitive"

he was right..

Grim

I'm still using epoxy quite a bit on large and small boat builds. I would also recommend this product as an extra level of protection.

Attachments

• IMG_2243.jpg
    IMG_2243.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 1
Back