glue

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best type will always be epoxy. I wouldn't call it the most friendly glue but it is one that you won't ever have to worry about fuel or water getting to it, or any incompatibility problems with whatever paint you're using.

I've always used slow-setting epoxy (45min or better) for everything. It seems to cure the hardest without any haze, wax or rubbery feeling to it.

Use micro-balloons to lighten it up or make it thicker for gap filling. Use gentle heat to help thin it out.

Epoxy is not one of those types of glue where you can trust it to hold your parts on location for you while it cures or tacks up, so you have to plan ahead with your clamps, wood bends, or any straight edge jigs being used.

One method I have been using that has seemed to work well for me is to make small tacks with a hot glue gun, check your alignment, epoxy your joints everywhere the hot glue is not then after your epoxy has cured, pick off the rubbery hot tack joints and re-glue in those spots. If going this route, use the lowest heat type of hot glue so it stays on top the wood, not in it.

I have also used an electric staple gun with a power setting knob to leave the staple a bit high to help attach decks if they are not being left clear coated. Then after curing, pull the staples and fill your holes. Again, only using epoxy.

Once you get around how to pre-bend (if necessary) and clamp, epoxy is the right stuff over just about any kind of glue that's out there. Anything less will be a shortcut, and will show it's drawbacks as you go along.

Epoxy has the advantage of it not moving parts while it cures. It does not shrink nor does it expand during that stage where other glues do. Whatever quality of your clamping is what you will have when the clamps are taken off to a certain extent, minus whatever twists or tension your wood is under which you will have with any kind of glue at that point.

Sounds like you're planning a build! Good that you're asking!
cool.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used West Systems for years. Now I have tried Mass glue and I really like it. It is great for gluing sealling and it does not turn yellow. always stays clear. Doc

Epoxy is the best for wood. In some application you can use CA glue, example like on gluing wood sheeting to sponson foam cores in outriggers. Rather than use epoxy resin made for building with cloth, which is thin and then thickening it with filler , use this "epoxy glue" T-88 from System Three. It is a structural adhesive in building airplanes... real ones. It is endorsed by leading designers & experiment plane builders, reasonable price too.

http://www.systemthree.com/p_t_88.asp

John

Last edited by a moderator:
I use West Systems since it's very versitile with multiple hardeners, fillers and accessories. West Systems was also developed for marine use on full sized boats. I figure if it will work on a full sized boat, it will work for my R/Cs

Back