Gauging interest and seeking advice

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarcaines

Supporting Member
Hi all,
For the last several months I have started to take notes on my boat during each run to try and track as much information as I can and learn as much as I can from what my boat is doing each time out. I have carried around a composition notebook and pen and used the AirLab app to write down the atmospheric conditions, my needle flow, and the changes I make to my boat.

I am also a graphic designer, and I don't love tracking all this in an old notebook, so I decided to design some pre-layed out pages and have a notebook printed for myself. So far I am planning the top of the page to have the Date, Event, and Site. Then a section for the overall boat information, Which boat, dry weight, CoG, Pipe length, and prop. Then sections for each run including open water and 4 heats where you can track the time of day, current air density, relative density, virtual temperature, relative HP (all things from the AirLab app), and flow reading. Then a section for the results of those heats, laps completed, time/speed, notes, and changes to be made before the next heat.

What I am wondering from the general model boating community here is:

1. Would anyone else be interested in something like this? Would it be worth it to make these available to the community in the vendor section?

2. If it does interest you, what important data points am I not thinking about? What should be added to the sheet? Does anything on here seem unnecessary?

I think it is a great idea... but I think most have not replied as they more than likely "set and forget" rather tinker with things.

I think there is 3 major areas to track:
Motor:deck clearance, timing p/s rotor
Head volume, pipe(type stinger ID

Boat as you described . I would add angle of attack front sponsons rear sponsons ski. After plane length

Then run data as you described

Just some musing

Just some thoughts. Started with a propane flow meter at an Indy unlimited race way back when. That summer, developed my way of tracking, yes all info mentioned above plus my own words for prop tweaking, found I had more than one prop for each boat depending on course layout and wind conditions, this was back in the solid shaft days. Most important was the realization that flow was a great guide, not the total answer. I have drifted away from boating for a couple of years at a time, Each return found me retraining my fingers and ears to get my needle right, each time it seems to have gotten more difficult. While guide sheets are a great idea, personal info and practice must be stressed.

Back