Gas Bags ver. Hard tanks

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomGracey

Since I'm kind of rookie to gas boats

What if any are the advantages /disadvantages between Gas Bags and Hard tanks other then hard tanks do not have internal baffles unless you have someone build a stainless tank that has an internal sump like John @Tanks 4 you or Walt Barney. ??????

TNX

I personally have never had any luck with IV bags for tanks. (Just me I guess)
I do run hard tanks in me T-boat & stock mono.
T-boat has a 14oz tank, stock mono 16oz.
Neither have baffles or sump tank.
The fuel consumption of gas engines is so much less than nitro I could run two rounds without filling (I don't though) so the sloshing affect is not a concern

+1 on what Rick said. I’ve never had a problem with a hard tank in my Scale and never had to chase a bubble 🤪.
I run a 12 oz hard tank and can get 2 heats on a tank, found this out accidentally when I forgot to refill after a heat race ooops.

Attachments

• 00AD226A-FA92-4F1A-AF5F-7B1F45FB996E.png
    00AD226A-FA92-4F1A-AF5F-7B1F45FB996E.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 40
+1 on what Rick said. I’ve never had a problem with a hard tank in my Scale and never had to chase a bubble 🤪.
I run a 12 oz hard tank and can get 2 heats on a tank, found this out accidentally when I forgot to refill after a heat race ooops.
Rick,
If John or I build the tank we have a header tank with in the main tank, for either gas or nitro.
Walt Barney

You won't get water in your gas bag in a flip. Often water gets in through the vent in a hard tank. This water goes to the bottom and is the first thing to fill the carb. You will need to do a major clean out before the engine will start again. Dump everything out of the tank. Refill and spin the engine with a belt starter with the plug out until gasoline comes out of the cylinder. If you don't have a belt starter it will be a lot harder to get all the water out of the carb. A small tank connected to the header vent will help prevent this problem, but gas bags are a lot easier.

Lohring Miller

Lohring,
2or3 coils of tubing on the vent on a hard tank prevents any water from entering the tank! Have been running hard tanks in all my boats for years and never had a problem with water getting in the tank in the event of a flip!

Lohring,
2or3 coils of tubing on the vent on a hard tank prevents any water from entering the tank! Have been running hard tanks in all my boats for years and never had a problem with water getting in the tank in the event of a flip!

Hey Don...I don't recall you flipping! Actually I never got water in my plastic tank and I flipped with regularity.
BTW I'm not ready to join you on Sundays as I got a bit C19 wiped out. Not good breathing but getting better.
(Unless I had a heart attack and am weathering it)
Don D.

Don,
Dang, sorry to hear about this! Hope you get better soon! I went through the “19” crap also,was very lucky to have a very mild case! Gail and I are getting the first vaccine shot next week!

what is a "header" tank? I would like to have a stainless tank built for my 50" gas mono (17oz). Will be positioned forward of engine, within 5" wide rails.
David,
A header tank is a small tank built in the main tank so you don't get air bubbles in the carb that will cause the engine to stumble or quit. Let me know the sizes you need and I will give you a price on a Stainless Steel tank with a header you can call me at
256-779-6472 if no answer please leave a message and I will call you back.
Thanks
Walt Barney

Last edited:
You built the tank in my gas hydro 5yrs ago Walt.
David,
A header tank is a small tank built in the main tank so you don't get air bubbles in the carb that will cause the engine to stumble or quit.
Walt Barney
Look at the money you have saved by not buying plastic bags and fixing them with brass to feed the engine Plastic bags will only last until they get hard or break.
Walt Barney

Last edited:
What I’d like to know is how can water get in a hard tank? I use a vent line and run it up the side of the engine.
the only way water gets in is if air or fuel leaves the tank. If the pickup is hooked to the carb that end is sealed.

David,
A header tank is a small tank built in the main tank so you don't get air bubbles in the carb that will cause the engine to stumble or quit. Let me know the sizes you need and I will give you a price on a Stainless Steel tank with a header you can call me at
256-779-6472 if no answer please leave a message and I will call you back.
Thanks
Walt Barney
thanks Walt, I will get back to you

Danny, the only way water can get into a hard tank is through the vent line.
Normally, if the boat hasn't been upside down, it's a non issue. If the boat goes over AND the engine doesn't quit fairly quickly AND the vent tube open end is submerged due to being upside down, you will get water in the tank due to it being sucked in by the engine still drawing fuel. IF the vent line is a spiral, it is much harder for water to get into the tank if the vent is higher than the tank vent tube because water will run to any low point in the spiral. It would also be possible to keep water out of the tank by running a line to the pipe, like a nitro pressure line but I don't know how that would affect the fuel flow to the carb. Someone else would have to address that

To keep your bags from getting all brittle. I leave a little bit of gas in the bag. They seem to last longer that way.
Mike

ill 3rd or 5th the "bad luck with bag" thing. dont run gas enough so i was getting literally 1 run per bag. id force the issue but i really dont like cursing at my toy boats all day. ive stored with a full bag and dumped it to run fresh -still didnt help much ....maybe 2 good runs per bag. not worth it .
plastic tanks -gas stopper- add a hopper tank or coil some hose ,both have their drawbacks . choose per hull
metal tank easier BUT if ur an experimental guy like me ur not much into customizing something that will be re-purposed next month .
also add a fuzzy pickup or fuel filter or 1 of them metal imitation sponge type pickups . as long as u use enough oil on/in everything they seem to slow/stop the water ingestion problem .
also i used 250ml bags so 8-10oz is plenty unless ur a racer that goes over early or ur prop is too small lol

Back