Fueling up and starting(Help)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derrick Stewart

Ok Im new to the nitro boat thing

I finished doing a refab on one of my 2 used boat I picked up

Im going to fire up the motor in my sport 40(in the back yard) just to get the

hang of starting it so not to look to much like a fool on my

first trip to the local pond

First question: Should I unhook the flex shaft and just freely run the motor?

Second question: When Im fueling up the tank Do you fill through the hopper

tank to the main or the main to the hopper?

And Im guessing I should run a hose on the water pick up on the rudder??

Any other things I need to know

I dont want to wreck any thing or kill myself LOL

Thank You

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok Im new to the nitro boat thing

I finished doing a refab on one of my 2 used boat I picked up

Im going to fire up the motor in my sport 40(in the back yard) just to get the

hang of starting it so not to look to much like a fool on my

first trip to the local pond

First question: Should I unhook the flex shaft and just freely run the motor?

Second question: When Im fueling up the tank Do you fill through the hopper

tank to the main or the main to the hopper?

And Im guessing I should run a hose on the water pick up on the rudder??

Any other things I need to know

I dont want to wreck any thing or kill myself LOL

Thank You
Run with the flex shaft in, greased well. Always fill tank thru line that goes to carb. You can run without water, hold your hand on the head, when it gets to hot to hold shut it down. Let it cool down completely, start again if you need to set throttle, What fuel are you using??

If there is a pond where people test near you, take the boat down there and introduce your self to some of the folks. Explain to them that you are new to boating and want to learn the right way to fuel, start, what ever you want to learn. Most boaters are more than happy to help and you will save yourself some frustration. I learned this the hard way with my first boat. I wasted a lot of time and got mighty frustrated cause the dam thing wouldn't work. Finally swallowed my pride and went to the pond. There were a couple boaters there who looked over my boat then had me start and run it. It wouldn't even get on a plane. I brought it back in and they worked on it for maybe five minutes and then said try this. I started it, threw it in and it took off like a rocket. After about 200 feet, I shut it off. I looked back and they were laughing like crazy and said why did you shut it off. I said it was too fast for me. One of them came over and pointed to the stick and said that thing is a throttle, you can always slow it down if its too fast. We then visited for a few minutes and I learned a lot, I had the wrong prop which was the only real issue. I ran it a few more times and had a blast. I was hooked. I went to give the prop back and they said keep it...the look on your face was worth it! Most boaters are friendly and helpful and will share there knowledge. I'll never forget that experience and when someone asks me what to do if they want to start boating I tell them to get a boat and come to the pond. Your fellow racers will be glad to help you get going,

If there is a pond where people test near you, take the boat down there and introduce your self to some of the folks. Explain to them that you are new to boating and want to learn the right way to fuel, start, what ever you want to learn. Most boaters are more than happy to help and you will save yourself some frustration. I learned this the hard way with my first boat. I wasted a lot of time and got mighty frustrated cause the dam thing wouldn't work. Finally swallowed my pride and went to the pond. There were a couple boaters there who looked over my boat then had me start and run it. It wouldn't even get on a plane. I brought it back in and they worked on it for maybe five minutes and then said try this. I started it, threw it in and it took off like a rocket. After about 200 feet, I shut it off. I looked back and they were laughing like crazy and said why did you shut it off. I said it was too fast for me. One of them came over and pointed to the stick and said that thing is a throttle, you can always slow it down if its too fast. We then visited for a few minutes and I learned a lot, I had the wrong prop which was the only real issue. I ran it a few more times and had a blast. I was hooked. I went to give the prop back and they said keep it...the look on your face was worth it! Most boaters are friendly and helpful and will share there knowledge. I'll never forget that experience and when someone asks me what to do if they want to start boating I tell them to get a boat and come to the pond. Your fellow racers will be glad to help you get going,
As im not totaly new to rc (I use to fly planes)some of the basics are still there

Not much contact with the local boat club

Have talk to a few guys but no real follow up or contact on there end

I had every intention of trying racing this year even purchased my namba membership

Not real sure now as I cant seem to get any info on races or come on down to the local pond

and we will get you started

Hi Derrick Will you bring boat at Edmonton next May 19-20 ? Kevin and I will help you to look at it ;) let me know cheers Allan

Last edited by a moderator:
Have to agree local boaters are great help, just wish the weekend was 4 days to allow me more time to go see them!!!!

Derrick here are the remaining race dates for Namba 16 this year:

May 19/20 Edmonton

June 2/3 Calgary

June 16/17 Edmonton

June 30/July 1 Calgary

Aug 18/19 Edmonton

Sept 1/2 Edmonton

Sept 15/16 Calgary

I think we are setting up the race course this Saturday at the Edmonton pond, I will be there all morning running boats if you want to come down.

Martin

Martin, my trailer is all loaded and I'll be down there too.....

May 19/20 Edmonton

June 2/3 Calgary

June 16/17 Edmonton

June 30/July 1 Calgary

Aug 18/19 Edmonton

Sept 1/2 Edmonton

Sept 15/16 Calgary

I think we are setting up the race course this Saturday at the Edmonton pond, I will be there all morning running boats if you want to come down.

Martin

Martin, my trailer is all loaded and I'll be down there too.....

May 19/20 Edmonton

June 2/3 Calgary

June 16/17 Edmonton

June 30/July 1 Calgary

Aug 18/19 Edmonton

Sept 1/2 Edmonton

Sept 15/16 Calgary

Martin
Cool, see you there Rob

Back